Entertainment

Amazon in talks to purchase MGM

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2022 4:43 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 14, 2016
809 posts
693 upvotes
GTA (not the game)

Amazon in talks to purchase MGM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/media/am ... index.html
Hong Kong (CNN Business)Amazon is reportedly in talks to buy MGM, the vaunted film studio that was a staple of Hollywood's Golden Age. A tie-up would give the tech firm a big brand to wield as competition in streaming grows fiercer by the day.

MGM's iconic logo of a roaring lion has played before tons of classic films, including the "James Bond" series, and the studio could be valued at between $7 billion and $10 billion, according to The Information, which cited a person familiar with the situation. The New York Times and the Financial Times have also reported the talks.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8459 posts
5433 upvotes
Global Village
MGM, Lionsgate and AMC Networks have all been mentioned as takeover targets. The Knives Out sequel bidding war with NF probably convinced Amazon they need to buy a studio to get big movie blockbusters on Prime. And they might want to take a shot at a lavish James Bond TV series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 234955045/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/busi ... mazon.html
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Jr. Member
Jan 20, 2010
135 posts
311 upvotes
Markham
Amazon Said To Be Near Deal To Buy MGM For $9 Billion

U.S & CANADA

James Bond 21 films and New Stargate Series from Amazon Original

Its 4,000 film titles include the James Bond, Hobbit, Rocky/Creed, RoboCop and Pink Panther franchises, as well as movies like “The Silence of the Lambs,” “The Magnificent Seven” and “Four Weddings and a Funeral.” The MGM TV library includes approximately 17,000 episodes of programming, including “Stargate SG-1,” “Stargate Atlantis,” “Stargate Universe,” “Vikings,” “Fargo,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Get Shorty,” “Condor,” “Fame,” “American Gladiators,” “Teen Wolf” and “In the Heat of the Night.” Unscripted shows in its portfolio include “The Voice,” “Survivor,” “Shark Tank,” “”The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” and “The Hills.”

https://deadline.com/2021/05/amazon-nea ... 234763190/
Images
  • AA1E3558-FD01-4A87-9310-D1DC6155F46C.jpeg
Last edited by itech92 on May 25th, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15029 posts
7837 upvotes
Toronto
itech92 wrote: Amazon Said To Be Near Deal To Buy MGM For $9 Billion
Yeah, the trades are a week behind on this one
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 31, 2009
2030 posts
1089 upvotes
If anyone watched Colbert last night, it seems like Bezos over paid by almost double the valued price. The reason why Bezos bought MGM is because they also own the show and now all the editing room tape from Donald Trumps The Apprentice. Apparently filled with some damning footage of Trump saying some of the most racist and vial language around.


This is payback
[external link removed]
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16160 posts
21097 upvotes
Toronto
Will Jeff Bezos Release "The Apprentice" Tapes To Shame The Former President?

Published on 25 May 2021
Why would one of the world's richest men pay almost twice the value for a struggling movie studio? Perhaps Jeff Bezos wanted to get his hands on outtakes from "The Apprentice," rumored to contain filthy, racist comments by the former president. #Colbert #BTSonLSSC #Monologue
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8459 posts
5433 upvotes
Global Village
New Stargate TV show on Prime is bound to happen now.

MGM own a lot of shows, The Outer Limits, Pink Panther, James Bond Jr live action, The Man from UNCLE could all be revived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... n_programs
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13031 posts
8271 upvotes
Markham
Do you guys watch Colbert for business analysis?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16160 posts
21097 upvotes
Toronto
What MGM Deal Means For Netflix, Hulu & Disney+ Shows Amazon Will Now Own
Before the recent big bucks sale to Amazon, MGM owned major TV properties that streamed elsewhere, such as The Handmaid's Tale. What happens to them?

https://screenrant.com/amazon-mgm-shows ... u-netflix/

smartie wrote: Do you guys watch Colbert for business analysis?
No Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8459 posts
5433 upvotes
Global Village
Dhanushan wrote: What MGM Deal Means For Netflix, Hulu & Disney+ Shows Amazon Will Now Own
Before the recent big bucks sale to Amazon, MGM owned major TV properties that streamed elsewhere, such as The Handmaid's Tale. What happens to them?

https://screenrant.com/amazon-mgm-shows ... u-netflix/




No Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Hulu and Crave own the streaming rights to Handmaids, Prime would get them only after those deals expire.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2004
2307 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
So Ernst Stavro Bloefeld finally bought James Bond.
CDDB3EFB-0CA4-45AB-9839-FAF0212AC1D4.jpeg
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Amazon just purchased MGM which means Amazon Prime Video will be getting the rights to James Bond (and probably making a episodic series about this character in the future along with other properties like Rocky, Robocop, Legally Blonde, etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/17/media/am ... index.html

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/17/10872680 ... n-mgm-deal

I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime Video but it will just mean certain other movies being localized at a particular streaming service (ex: Marvel superhero characters are streaming only on Disney+, Star Wars characters are streaming only on Disney+, etc.)

These type of acquisitions affected me recently when I didn't finish the Marvel series (Daredevil, Punisher, Defenders, etc.) on Netflix and then they were removed and will (likely) go to Disney+ which I don't subscribe to.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19629 posts
6568 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: Amazon just purchased MGM which means Amazon Prime Video will be getting the rights to James Bond (and probably making a episodic series about this character in the future along with other properties like Rocky, Robocop, Legally Blonde, etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/17/media/am ... index.html

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/17/10872680 ... n-mgm-deal

I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime Video but it will just mean certain other movies being localized at a particular streaming service (ex: Marvel superhero characters are streaming only on Disney+, Star Wars characters are streaming only on Disney+, etc.)

These type of acquisitions affected me recently when I didn't finish the Marvel series (Daredevil, Punisher, Defenders, etc.) on Netflix and then they were removed and will (likely) go to Disney+ which I don't subscribe to.
Okay so, here's the confusing part: Are there any MGM movies that will not be available on the Canadian Amazon Prime due to some Canadian purchasing rights? ie Will some of the content suddenly show up on Stacked TV or some other Canadian streaming source?
Look what happened with Star Wars when NetFlix used to carry that content. NetFlix Canada had Star Wars, but NetFlix USA was not allowed to because Starz USA had the rights at the time. (Pre Disney Plus)
(Just an example...)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
playnicee1 wrote: Okay so, here's the confusing part: Are there any MGM movies that will not be available on the Canadian Amazon Prime due to some Canadian purchasing rights? ie Will some of the content suddenly show up on Stacked TV or some other Canadian streaming source?
Look what happened with Star Wars when NetFlix used to carry that content. NetFlix Canada had Star Wars, but NetFlix USA was not allowed to because Starz USA had the rights at the time. (Pre Disney Plus)
(Just an example...)
I personally think that once the rights expire (since these rights are never life time), MGM movies will only be available on Amazon Prime.

For example, Netflix made some of the Marvel television series and Netflix no longer is able to show these despite them being the ones who "made" them (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Punisher, etc.). I'm assuming these went to Disney+ but since I don't have a subscription with Disney+, I'm not 100% sure and don't want to post incorrect information that they are available on Disney+ platform since Disney owns Marvel.

Currently, Netflix Canada is still showing some MCU movies and I suspect that once the rights expire, Canadians wanting to legally watch these MCU movies on a streaming platform will need to have access to Disney+
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8459 posts
5433 upvotes
Global Village
lmcjipo wrote: I personally think that once the rights expire (since these rights are never life time), MGM movies will only be available on Amazon Prime.

For example, Netflix made some of the Marvel television series and Netflix no longer is able to show these despite them being the ones who "made" them (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Punisher, etc.). I'm assuming these went to Disney+ but since I don't have a subscription with Disney+, I'm not 100% sure and don't want to post incorrect information that they are available on Disney+ platform since Disney owns Marvel.

Currently, Netflix Canada is still showing some MCU movies and I suspect that once the rights expire, Canadians wanting to legally watch these MCU movies on a streaming platform will need to have access to Disney+
It might be more of an IMDB TV play at first actually. There is speculation they will rename the service MGM TV and offer content there 1st for free with ads. Hopefully launch it in Canada too.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235116671/
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
4655 posts
4015 upvotes
Calgary
Stargate is like one of my favorite shows of all time. I am so glad Amazon did this. MGM was just sleeping at the wheel with their properties. And the last stargate related stuff they have put were just complete crap.

Amazon saved The Expanse. I'm hopeful that they will save Stargate as well.
teksavvy sucks
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15029 posts
7837 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: And they might want to take a shot at a lavish James Bond TV series.
Barbara Broccoli wrote: James Bond producers say there will not be an Amazon TV series: "We make films for the cinema"
How about a non-scripted LARP-like reality show

https://deadline.com/2022/03/james-bond ... 234986867/

Maybe they should make a show documenting the process to find Craig's successor although in reality I can't see most actors signing off on that
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8459 posts
5433 upvotes
Global Village
jenviea wrote: How about a non-scripted LARP-like reality show

https://deadline.com/2022/03/james-bond ... 234986867/

Maybe they should make a show documenting the process to find Craig's successor although in reality I can't see most actors signing off on that
I could see Amazon coming up with a TV show that has Q as the main character exploring his background.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)