• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2017 3:02 am
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Be careful ordering these off Amazon as Hifiman won't honour the warranty if the seller isn't authorized. Some of the sellers have similar names to authorized sellers but BHPhoto is an authorized seller so I'd recommend buying it from them. Checked out a pair of these last week and really liked them(did not get a chance to compare to the 600/650 though), probably gonna put in an order.
Feb 24, 2009
873 posts
393 upvotes
They also go in sale sometimes at visions for 350 cad
Sep 25, 2007
180 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
If you go into visions and tell them they had them on sale 3 weeks ago for $350 they will match their price. Just breaking in my pair now!
Jan 5, 2015
330 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Beware of Hifiman's non-existent quality control. They are great value for this price, but you are playing the lottery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/com ... ve_2_left/

I'll definitely be tempted to buy if it's on sale on amazon.ca through a fulfilled seller, just so returns will not be a headache.
Sep 3, 2016
218 posts
114 upvotes
aronpm wrote: Beware of Hifiman's non-existent quality control. They are great value for this price, but you are playing the lottery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/com ... ve_2_left/

I'll definitely be tempted to buy if it's on sale on amazon.ca through a fulfilled seller, just so returns will not be a headache.
I really dont think you should be commenting on quality control unless you have owned a pair, HiFiman has had issues historically in their older series but no much in recent years. I didn't have a single issue with my 400i's other than they were too sibilant in the higher frequencies and had non existant lower bass.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2175 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Cress wrote: The 400is are usually on sale at headphone bar as well for 349CAD - https://headphonebar.com/collections/he ... man-he400i
This is where I bought mine from. Great and very comfortable headphones but be prepared to replace the cable quickly. It's very short and it's garbage. Also, these are open headphones and they leak sound more than any other headphones I've ever experienced.
May 31, 2007
342 posts
210 upvotes
I've gone through 2 sets of 400i's.... Both had left cup hissing and scratchy sound right from day one. I've got buddies at visions, so it was easy to swap but ended up getting my money back and bought the oppos.
Dec 27, 2006
376 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver
LSZ wrote: This is where I bought mine from. Great and very comfortable headphones but be prepared to replace the cable quickly. It's very short and it's garbage. Also, these are open headphones and they leak sound more than any other headphones I've ever experienced.
I would have bought it from Headphonebar but they ran out of stock during BF sale last year, so I ended up getting mine from Visions. I agree 100% that the stock cable sucks, 1.5m/5ft, stiff, terminates in a 90 degree 3.5mm jack? For these headphones? These are not meant to be driven off a phone. I run mine off a Bifrost+Lyr 2. I bought a "relatively" cheap $30 3m/9ft cable off amazon.ca (LINK). Similar cables can be found on eBay for a couple dollars cheaper but fulfilled by amazon was much, much faster shipping.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
AvroeArrow wrote: I would have bought it from Headphonebar but they ran out of stock during BF sale last year, so I ended up getting mine from Visions. I agree 100% that the stock cable sucks, 1.5m/5ft, stiff, terminates in a 90 degree 3.5mm jack? For these headphones? These are not meant to be driven off a phone. I run mine off a Bifrost+Lyr 2. I bought a "relatively" cheap $30 3m/9ft cable off amazon.ca (LINK). Similar cables can be found on eBay for a couple dollars cheaper but fulfilled by amazon was much, much faster shipping.
I've been looking at that cable cause the current one is short and likes to kink for no reason, how is it overall?
Sep 25, 2007
180 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm A/B testing my pair with the Schiit Stack (Magni 2 + Modi 2) as well as the Fulla 2 and surprisingly the Fulla 2 is more than enough power for these headphones and sounds 99% as good to my ears!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1158 posts
457 upvotes
Abbotsford
Can the OP please put a description the in the title. Majority of people aren't going to know what a Hifiman 400i is
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2175 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
AvroeArrow wrote: I would have bought it from Headphonebar but they ran out of stock during BF sale last year, so I ended up getting mine from Visions. I agree 100% that the stock cable sucks, 1.5m/5ft, stiff, terminates in a 90 degree 3.5mm jack? For these headphones? These are not meant to be driven off a phone. I run mine off a Bifrost+Lyr 2. I bought a "relatively" cheap $30 3m/9ft cable off amazon.ca (LINK). Similar cables can be found on eBay for a couple dollars cheaper but fulfilled by amazon was much, much faster shipping.
I bought the exact same cable (but shorter) from Amazon when the stock one started crapping out on me after only about 3 months. So far, so good with it.
Dec 27, 2006
376 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver
Jep4444 wrote:
I've been looking at that cable cause the current one is short and likes to kink for no reason, how is it overall?
Works better than the stock cable physically, sounds the same to me, and the price was right. The nylon mesh sheath on the 9ft cable makes it very hard to kink and the cable is softer than stock. It may twirl up on occasion when not fully stretched out but no weird semi-stiff 90 degree bends like the stock cable. I bought a very similar cable for the HD598 3-4 years ago when they first showed up on amazon.ca for $140 or whatever it was at the time. The stock Sennheiser cable was too long and the 6.35mm plug was huge, then add in the 6.35-to-3.5mm adapter and it was as long as a pen sticking out of a 3.5mm jack. Someone on that thread linked to an $25-30 eBay cable that was slimmer and shorter, as well as being 3.5mm with a 6.35mm adapter. I'm not into fairy dust enchanted cables that cost the same price as the headphones which is why I bought these cables.
LSZ wrote: I bought the exact same cable (but shorter) from Amazon when the stock one started crapping out on me after only about 3 months. So far, so good with it.
Wow, so the stock cable actually flaked out after 3 months for you? I used the stock cable for about 6 months on and off (I don't use the headphones daily) until I couldn't stand the short length and constant kinking before I bought the replacement but it still works fine.
Apr 8, 2011
77 posts
35 upvotes
North Vancouver
Do you guys know what is the best deal on high end headphones in Canada right now?

Your text to link here...

<a href="https://www.amazon.ca/Denon-AHD7200-Ref ... on+ahd7200" target="_blank"></a>

They are usually CDN$1300 or US$1000 (Amazon dot com)

These blows HE-400i out of the water and competes favorably with my other headphones that are over $1500+ (HD800S, TH900 and LCD3).
Apr 13, 2011
258 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver
tgx78 wrote: Do you guys know what is the best deal on high end headphones in Canada right now?

Your text to link here...

<a href="https://www.amazon.ca/Denon-AHD7200-Ref ... on+ahd7200" target="_blank"></a>

They are usually CDN$1300 or US$1000 (Amazon dot com)

These blows HE-400i out of the water and competes favorably with my other headphones that are over $1500+ (HD800S, TH900 and LCD3).
Great price! Almost half off compared to other places, but probably still outside the price range for many people.