602 upvotes
EDMONTON
After factoring in exchange rates and import duties, deal is not that good
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5876 posts
2543 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
A lot of the sellers don't ship to Canada and once you convert from USD to CAD it's no deal at all. $150 USD is $196 CAD. You can find similar chromebooks like those on Amazon.com locally for the same price.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Aug 14, 2009
399 posts
407 upvotes
BC
dealseaker101 wrote: A lot of the sellers don't ship to Canada and once you convert from USD to CAD it's no deal at all. $150 USD is $196 CAD. You can find similar chromebooks like those on Amazon.com locally for the same price.
Yep. Both Amazon.ca and NCIX have Lenovo Chromebooks for $199CAD.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
522 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Is it actually a tablet with keyboard?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2012
1282 posts
602 upvotes
EDMONTON
wxw2015 wrote: Is it actually a tablet with keyboard?
No, it's like a netbook with an attached keyboard that can't be removed.
Apr 10, 2017
424 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
its a dying OS. Google is going to add the development now to android any day. Unless you know how to switch over to windows/ linux and use it as a low energy laptop, not very worth it.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14654 posts
4765 upvotes
Montreal
baijuxp wrote: Google is going to add the development now to android any day.
this is a very dangerous call, as it literally kills any future in the education (a very lucrative area that chromebooks hold a lot of power in) and if Android OS doesn't get mainstream traction, the whole thing is doomed from the start.

Update: Chris Robato is not a happy bunny:

Hiroshi also said they are very committed to ChromeOS. ... In fact, Chromebooks have yet to fully tap the global potential of the educational sector which alone can represents high millions of orders for years to come.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... tbwcw.html
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Jul 31, 2016
459 posts
801 upvotes
Whitby
if Android OS doesn't get mainstream traction, the whole thing is doomed from the start.

At the very least, it's the #2 OS in the world.
Apr 10, 2017
424 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
That is an article from 2015. Android OS is ubiquitous. It also is available for x86 processors now which means that any school that has old used laptops can easily install the OS on it for free and viola you have a low power machine that is great for browsing in libraries.

Here is an excerpt I pulled from the article

No. And neither is Chrome OS, according to Hiroshi Lockheimer, Senior Vice President of Android, Chromecast, and Chrome OS. After the WSJ broke the news Lockheimer tweeted “There’s a ton of momentum for Chromebooks and we are very committed to Chrome OS. I just bought two for my kids for schoolwork!”

Google also reached out to the Verge to clarify that Chrome OS is not being “killed”. Instead it will continue to be developed and maintained by Google alongside the merged Android/Chrome OS operating system.

Similarly, the WSJ reported: “Chromebooks will get a new, as yet undetermined, name, the people familiar with the matter said. Google plans to retain the Chrome name for its Internet browser, which runs on both PCs and mobile devices, they said. Chrome OS will remain as an open source operating system that other companies can use to make laptops, and Google engineers will continue maintaining it. However, Google’s focus will be on extending Android to run on laptops, according to one of the people.”

And that’s really all we know for now. But one thing is for sure, the Google/Android ecosystem is going to get much more interesting in the next few years.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/android/c ... ands-oct-4

Btw to be really honest with you I never put much stock in schools buying Chrome OS hype as Microsoft is already pretty entrenched in that area. A computer that runs a web browser and all the latest apps is much more desirable than one that runs on just online apps.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
baijuxp wrote: Btw to be really honest with you I never put much stock in schools buying Chrome OS hype as Microsoft is already pretty entrenched in that area. A computer that runs a web browser and all the latest apps is much more desirable than one that runs on just online apps.
My son's middle school has Chromebooks for the students. They use Google Classroom to submit assignments online and Google Docs and Slides for in-class projects. Chrome OS is incredibly lightweight compared to Windows -- it performs well on hardware that crawls under Windows 10, and there is no need to worry about viruses and pushing massive security updates.
Nov 25, 2004
190 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Microsoft is getting pushed out by Chrome OS in the education system and it's not stopping. how do it know? having a friend that works in the tech end for TDSB helps. entire classrooms are going chrome at a time. And when the young generation gets used to chrome in adulthood and post secondary it would just feel natural for them to use google docs and stuff. You get them early and they stick with your for life pretty much. And also google isn't charging much to the education system for them to use their OS and management software.
Dec 7, 2016
89 posts
71 upvotes
The only semi good deal is the thinkpad 13 chromebook which does not ship to Canada. :(
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11731 posts
3099 upvotes
delldeals8 wrote: After factoring in exchange rates and import duties, deal is not that good
dealseaker101 wrote: A lot of the sellers don't ship to Canada and once you convert from USD to CAD it's no deal at all. $150 USD is $196 CAD. You can find similar chromebooks like those on Amazon.com locally for the same price.
trendless wrote: Yep. Both Amazon.ca and NCIX have Lenovo Chromebooks for $199CAD.
Yep, bought our daughter's chromebook from Mike's computer, for $189 at Christmas time. This model
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-80SF0001U ... chromebook
retrothing wrote: My son's middle school has Chromebooks for the students. They use Google Classroom to submit assignments online and Google Docs and Slides for in-class projects. Chrome OS is incredibly lightweight compared to Windows -- it performs well on hardware that crawls under Windows 10, and there is no need to worry about viruses and pushing massive security updates.
Same with ours. I hardly get to see an assignment before she submits it and it's returned...
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.