Shopping Discussion

Amazon will start listing names and addresses of Marketplace sellers to combat counterfeiting

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 6:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4105 posts
9310 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …

Amazon will start listing names and addresses of Marketplace sellers to combat counterfeiting

Amazon says the change goes into effect September 1st

Amazon will start publicly listing the names and addresses of US-based third-party sellers on its Marketplace platform as a measure to fight counterfeiters, according to a report from Business Insider. The change was announced in a note sent to sellers on Wednesday, and the change goes into effect on September 1st.

“These features help customers learn more about the businesses of a seller and the products that they are selling,” the note says, according to a copy obtained by Business Insider. “We are making this change to ensure there is a consistent baseline of seller information to help customers make informed shopping decisions.” The change in policy will make it harder to stay an anonymous seller on Marketplace, but it also means customers will know exactly which individual or entity they’re buying form and where that business is located.

read more

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/8/21317 ... ansparency
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3312 posts
262 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
US-based.... what about overseas-based such as China that is selling the most counterfeit?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
I mean... a (presumably business) name and an address are easy to get. I wonder how far down the rabbit hole they're going to go digging.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6514 posts
6496 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: It’s about time. They should get rid of the stupid marketplace altogether.
Lol yeah sure just 'get rid' of the backbone of the business... Amazon 3rd party sellers makes up more than half of Amazon's overall unit sales