Tags:
None
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7082 posts
428 upvotes
Oakville
Upgrading sucks, but I'd suggest doing the same then running a clean install. Once Win10 is activated you don't need to futz around with serials anymore.

I'd say hit softwareswap on Reddit, grab a code then do the aforementioned upgrade.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Jan 31, 2007
882 posts
110 upvotes
toronto(pape and dan…
amen to that. I just up grade my 3 pirated operating system yesterday for free.
Aug 18, 2011
255 posts
214 upvotes
North York
Tibbs wrote: I'm confused on this. Why would anyone buy this when you can upgrade free right now (for another month I think)?

If you wanted to go to Pro from Home, you could even just buy Win7 Pro cheaper?? and do the upgrade. How does this work?
Windows 7/8/10 Pro cheaper than 116? Do provide the link.

OP, if seller wasn't newly launched (fulfilled by Amazon or not), this would've been a solid deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
2295 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
Canadianpsycho wrote: Upgrading sucks, but I'd suggest doing the same then running a clean install. Once Win10 is activated you don't need to futz around with serials anymore.

I'd say hit softwareswap on Reddit, grab a code then do the aforementioned upgrade.
Never looked into this so am very confused by what you just said. What's software swap?
Dec 22, 2012
447 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
geotr wrote: Never looked into this so am very confused by what you just said. What's software swap?
It is no longer in commission.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13894 posts
8988 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Would it be wise to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10? OR move to Windows 8 instead?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1490 posts
587 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Would it be wise to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10? OR move to Windows 8 instead?
IMHO, you go with either Win 7 or 10 dependant on the age of your hardware. Avoid 8 at all costs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5287 posts
3334 upvotes
Toronto
majikstic wrote: IMHO, you go with either Win 7 or 10 dependant on the age of your hardware. Avoid 8 at all costs.
Having using 8.1 for a couple years, it is an improvement over 7, despite what half the people who were jaded by 8 wanted you to think. That said, 10 is better anyways so the point is moot. I'd tell everyone that unless they need to stay on 7, upgrade to 10 while it's free since the support cycle will be longer.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2656 posts
853 upvotes
Chatham
It used to be recommended to upgrade to Win10 first and then do a full install (that way your 7/8.1 key works). but I read the other day that the latest build of Win 10 allows a direct clean install without issues.

I still just recently did the upgrade first to be sure though.

What are the advantages of Pro over Home for a laptop? mine just upgraded to Home.
Dec 22, 2012
447 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Tibbs wrote: It used to be recommended to upgrade to Win10 first and then do a full install (that way your 7/8.1 key works). but I read the other day that the latest build of Win 10 allows a direct clean install without issues.

I still just recently did the upgrade first to be sure though.

What are the advantages of Pro over Home for a laptop? mine just upgraded to Home.
So you can do a clean install of Windows 10 with a 7/8 key, provided you have made the upgrade once before? I've been dreading reinstalling Win 10 on my Desktop for this very reason.. (doing OS install then upgrade)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2168 posts
677 upvotes
Montreal
I had Win7 on my computer, never upgraded before.
Bought a new SSD, installed Win10 and when prompted for the serial, entered my Win7 serial.
All working now!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1426 posts
360 upvotes
Calgary
Tibbs wrote: I'm confused on this. Why would anyone buy this when you can upgrade free right now (for another month I think)?

If you wanted to go to Pro from Home, you could even just buy Win7 Pro cheaper?? and do the upgrade. How does this work?
If you are building a new computer for example.

Also remember OEM licences are tied to your motherboard.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2961 posts
745 upvotes
palibhasalalake wrote: amen to that. I just up grade my 3 pirated operating system yesterday for free.
Ah yes. Why pay for something when I can steal it and get away with it!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7082 posts
428 upvotes
Oakville
Victoreezy wrote: It is no longer in commission.
That's not what I'm seeing, latest post was 4 hours ago
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Would it be wise to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10? OR move to Windows 8 instead?
I had issues playing League of Legends on 8.1. I have an ancient PC nowadays though. I didn't like 8 after using 7. I was somehow "forced" to upgrade to 10 (I literally came home one night and the PC was upgrading) but things seem OK so far.
Victoreezy wrote: So you can do a clean install of Windows 10 with a 7/8 key, provided you have made the upgrade once before? I've been dreading reinstalling Win 10 on my Desktop for this very reason.. (doing OS install then upgrade)
From what I read when I donwloaded the Win10 tool from MS you just need a valid 7 or 8 serial, even on a clean full install of 10. I didn't need a serial at all because 10 was already activated prior to my reinstall.
geotr wrote: Never looked into this so am very confused by what you just said. What's software swap?
Search reddit.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1096 posts
838 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Win 10 pro feels like a beta imo, last patch screwed up the default programs, now I can't set the default movie player to vlc. They are still giving free upgrade until July, so I guess they are justifying the crap they put out and break things more with patches.

Oh well the old adage you get what you don't pay for.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13950 posts
4047 upvotes
VANCOUVER
majikstic wrote: IMHO, you go with either Win 7 or 10 dependant on the age of your hardware. Avoid 8 at all costs.
Are most software that run on Win 7 also compatible with 10? That's my main concern in hesitating to upgrade my office PC to 10.