1063 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary

Zojirushi 3 cup micom rice cooker $162

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Amazon
Lowest price in a while according to Bactrian Camel Bactrian Camel Bactrian Camel

Edit: Amazon is back to $169.99 but rgilld mentioned Bed Bath and Beyond still has it for $161.99.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/p ... ice-cooker
Last edited by blibbertibs on Oct 19th, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
33 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1063 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
Not sure, the MIJ one has induction heating.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1851 posts
418 upvotes
Bought it. 3 cup is more than enough for 2 people. Saves counter/shelf space too.
Feb 16, 2017
361 posts
348 upvotes
What is the difference between this and a $15 rice cooker?
Jun 18, 2006
103 posts
59 upvotes
Burnaby
wwkk624 wrote: What is the difference between this and a $15 rice cooker?
Read the Amazon description.
Not convinced? I sure you will be fine with that $15 rice cooker of yours.
Jun 12, 2007
827 posts
458 upvotes
Looking for something small that I can cook 1-2 cups of rice at a time.
What are the other premium brands besides zojirushi? thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3728 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
kingkelly wrote: Looking for something small that I can cook 1-2 cups of rice at a time.
Cuckoo is probably what you're looking for.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2589 posts
3402 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
kingkelly wrote: Looking for something small that I can cook 1-2 cups of rice at a time.
wwkk624 wrote: What is the difference between this and a $15 rice cooker?
UNDFTDss wrote: Bought it. 3 cup is more than enough for 2 people. Saves counter/shelf space too.

Ok seeing this thread got me curious how long it took me to make rice normally so I got the stopwatch out to see how long it takes. I read an amazon review where a 'quick' setting allowed rice to be cooked at 39mins instead of 60mins.

My rice & equipment:

- Electric stove (large burner, approx 10" coils if it makes a difference)

- 2qt anodized aluminum non stick (North49 brand if it makes any difference, likely not but for those curious)

- *1 1/2 cups (approx 325ml, eyeballing it as my 2cup /500ml measuring cup stops the 50ml gaduations after 300ml but the other size showed 1 1/2 cups on the line where the rice was), Ox Head Brand long grain jasmine rice.

*NB: I used the Corelle 'Secret Garden' classic cup for those wondering the odd measurements but it does not matter was it is always 1:1 rice:water.

My usual method: [TOTAL TIME 28minutes 22sec, from stove on time]

1. Wash rice 4-5 times & drain water

2. Add water at a rate of 1 part rice to 1 part water. So 1 Corelle cup full of cold tap water.

3. Turn heat to MAX (setting 10 on some stoves) Bring rice to a near rolling boil then turn heat to MIN

4. Put lid on pot and set timer for 10 mins.

5. When 10mins is up, turn off stove, leave lid on, and set timer for 10mins again. DO NOT OPEN FOR 10MINS

6. Fluff up rice and enjoy.

My method took 28 minutes and 22 seconds and my rice came out perfect each and every time be it aluminum anodized non stick or stainless steel pots. So to me I see this rice cooker in the OP's link to only have the advantage of keeping the rice warm for days (not knocking anyone wanting to do this but for days!?!) and also press a button and walk away knowing the rice will cook then stop cooking when done.

I'm not sure I'd want rice to be cooked and stay warm for days in the rice cooker for when I want to eat it. I've cooked rice enough times to know the longer you have it sit after you are done cooking it and you have not fluffed it up immediately it will compact. I'm in no way knocking the OP's deal or anyone else wanting to buy this as to each thier own and thier reasons. All I wanted to see was how long it would take for me to make rice on the stove compared this unit. I guess if you're not comfortable using stove or cooking rice a press of the button method makes it easier for those people.

For those curious about the microwave method I use if they don't have a stove (or not allowed to have one) here is my method.

1. Measure 2 cups rice (we're taking the above Corelle cup measurement here)

2. Wash rice 4-5 times, drain water.

3. Put rice in a microwave safe bowl, add 2 cups water

4. Using 2 stage cooking times

- 1. Set HIGH for 5 mins

- 2. Set MED for 15 mins

- 3. Set TIMER fr 10 mins

5. Fluff rice when done, Enjoy

The microwave method has the advantage of not tending to the stove and auto power off when done. Being inside the microwave it will stay warmer longer if you forget the rice is there. I should note that with either stove or microwave method you could add 1-3 eggs and cook those at the same time. The reason for a little more rice in the microwave method is to ensure not drying out the rice during the cook time. If 2 cups is too much for one meal, well fridge or freeze that rice for later use. I mean, you have the microwave to warm it up again after all.

EDIT:
If you wanted to access the rice quicker using the microwave method I have opened up the rice at the 5minute mark and was able to eat it as it is cooked already but waiting the 10mins allows more uniform steam and water absorption. Never tired that with the stove method yet and I don't plan on making another pot of rice on the stove as I just made one a little over 40mins ago just for that time test. I'm cooling thise rice down to fridge for fried rice later today.
Images
  • 1586934344864.png
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2186 posts
860 upvotes
EDMONTON
I make rice in my instantpot. Lol it comes out pretty good, IMO.

I want to get this zoji to see why everyone always makes such a big deal out of it, but I don't know if I can justify the cost considering the only time I eat rice is when I make homemade pokebowls.
teksavvy sucks
Jul 3, 2012
58 posts
66 upvotes
Regina
Mikus007 wrote: Is there any easy way to tell which one is made in japan, or just google model numbers?1
It will have the made in Japan text near the big button.
The domestic Japan one will have full Japanese text.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7820 posts
1508 upvotes
My parents needed a rice cooker so I switched to zojirushi and gave my parents my Panasonic from Costco (99$), and I honestly can't tell a difference.

Ymmv
Dec 14, 2012
349 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
Mikus007 wrote: Is there any easy way to tell which one is made in japan, or just google model numbers?1
If you can’t find “made in Japan” easily from front side of product in pictures. It means it is not “made in Japan”. Zojiroshi knows the value of “made in Japan”, so they won’t hide the labels.
Nov 24, 2018
198 posts
269 upvotes
What is the difference between made in Japan and not? Honest question. I know we tend to think Japanese quality is better than Chinese etc by default, but has that been proven with these Zoji's?