• Oct 19th, 2019 12:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 22, 2012
16 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario

Amazon's "manual verification" process

What exactly is it that they're trying to do here? What's involved?

On Friday Oct 11th, 2019 i ordered an expensive item and then i waited 2+ days only to get an email from Amazon suspecting my account of being compromised so they disabled my password and cancelled the order i had pending. I was worried about this so i called Amazon and they acted like everything was fine and that there were no cancelled orders. I said are you sure? they ask for my order number which is in the summary email i have. According to their records there was no trace of that order, um excuse me? So this order summary just appeared out of thin air did it? It was all a figment of my imagination?

So they went on saying that maybe the order didn't proceed because i hadn't purchased something from them since 2017, the tone from them made it sound like such an irregularity as if no one shops anywhere else or has other things going on. Anyway I thought that was BS and then they said maybe it was the credit card company that messed up (because why would Amazon ever admit to a screw up) so i said fine, that'll be the next thing i check on and ended the call.

Now it's the morning of Oct 14th, call Canuck Tire Bank that the CC is with and according to them there were no problems of insufficient funds or anything like that. No weird charges from other people, nothing fishy at all. I also double checked on transaction limits and so forth.. not an issue whatsoever. They said Amazon sent a charge of zip, exactly $0.00. So what is the CC company supposed to do with that and what is the hold up with Amazon?

Well figured i better try the order again and check the transaction history on the CC side of things and nothing is there.. not even a pending transaction of $0.00. This is starting to sound like the same thing as before, so i waited a few hours and called Amazon back to get to the bottom of what's going on with how they confirm their orders, of course they keep pointing the finger at the CC company saying that they haven't authorized the payment. WHAT PAYMENT? If you're asking for nothing you're going to get nothing and then they said "well it might take a couple business days..we have to do this for security measures"

Oh you mean like what happened to my last order where i waited 2+ days only for it to be cancelled? Get real and take a deeper look at whatever glitch is going on with your system, i wanted to speak with someone higher up but of course "oh we don't do that".

I hung up because i was irritated, my order is still in limbo on my Amazon account and hasn't been cancelled yet so we'll see in the next couple of days if they pull the same stunt. If so it'll be time for some legal advice i think.
Last edited by thelastdisciple on Nov 23rd, 2019 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10617 posts
2479 upvotes
Victoria
Usually amazon tests the validity of the car up front (perhaps the zero dollar charge), but actually charges when they ship out the item.

something seems to me going amiss. I've never had a problem ordering things on dormant Amazon accounts.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2575 posts
1790 upvotes
Vancouveresque
thelastdisciple wrote: I hung up because i was irritated, my order is still in limbo on my Amazon account and hasn't been cancelled yet so we'll see in the next couple of days if they pull the same stunt. If so it'll be time for some legal advice i think.
Legal advice for what, exactly? How have you been harmed in any way?

That aside, it's a holiday weekend, so their fraud department might not be in the office until sometime today on October 15th.

Worst case scenario? Order from somewhere else instead. Amazon has no obligation to do business with you, nor do you have any obligation to do business with them.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Apr 16, 2013
564 posts
578 upvotes
Surrey
thelastdisciple wrote: What exactly is it that they're trying to do here? What's involved?

On Friday Oct 11th, 2019 i ordered an expensive item and then i waited 2+ days only to get an email from Amazon suspecting my account of being compromised so they disabled my password and cancelled the order i had pending. I was worried about this so i called Amazon and they acted like everything was fine and that there were no cancelled orders. I said are you sure? they ask for my order number which is in the summary email i have. According to their records there was no trace of that order, um excuse me? So this order summary just appeared out of thin air did it? It was all a figment of my imagination?

So they went on saying that maybe the order didn't proceed because i hadn't purchased something from them since 2017, the tone from them made it sound like such an irregularity as if no one shops anywhere else or has other things going on. Anyway I thought that was BS and then they said maybe it was the credit card company that messed up (because why would Amazon ever admit to a screw up) so i said fine, that'll be the next thing i check on and ended the call.

Now it's the morning of Oct 14th, call Canuck Tire Bank that the CC is with and according to them there were no problems of insufficient funds or anything like that. No weird charges from other people, nothing fishy at all. I also double checked on transaction limits and so forth.. not an issue whatsoever. They said Amazon sent a charge of zip, exactly $0.00. So what is the CC company supposed to do with that and what is the hold up with Amazon?

Well figured i better try the order again and check the transaction history on the CC side of things and nothing is there.. not even a pending transaction of $0.00. This is starting to sound like the same thing as before, so i waited a few hours and called Amazon back to get to the bottom of what's going on with how they confirm their orders, of course they keep pointing the finger at the CC company saying that they haven't authorized the payment. WHAT PAYMENT? If you're asking for nothing you're going to get nothing and then they said "well it might take a couple business days..we have to do this for security measures"

Oh you mean like what happened to my last order where i waited 2+ days only for it to be cancelled? Get real and take a deeper look at whatever glitch is going on with your system, i wanted to speak with someone higher up but of course "oh we don't do that".

I hung up because i was irritated, my order is still in limbo on my Amazon account and hasn't been cancelled yet so we'll see in the next couple of days if they pull the same stunt. If so it'll be time for some legal advice i think.
Something is definitely wrong with Amazon. But Seriously Legal Advice for what? You can't be serious?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28630 posts
14176 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: Legal advice for what, exactly? How have you been harmed in any way?
Tempted to sue OP for "mental anguish"
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6442 posts
6306 upvotes
Please bring your GoPro when you go talk to your lawyer about this.

I'm really very curious to see his/her reaction
Aug 4, 2008
192 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You want to sue them for not charging your credit card and because your irregular purchase patterns triggered their fraudulent protection that serves to protect both the consumer and Amazon?

Here's a tip that will help you in the future: most companies won't charge your card until items are actually shipped.
Aug 4, 2008
192 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thelastdisciple wrote: Wow you guys are a helpful bunch...
Well your complaint is really a non-complaint and your threats about looking into suing amazon are ridiculous. Go elsewhere if they won't give you want you want, you've literally lost nothing through this transaction.
Oct 4, 2019
4 posts
I am having a similar issue. In my case I ordered an expensive item. My account was closed and item cancelled. Price of item increased 25%. No trace of it my reactivated account. I have been calling every two days asking to purchase at original price. Told no. Others suggested I email [email protected]. I have done this, we'll see what happens. Good luck with your issue.