Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes

The AMD 3700X Build Continues - Remaining Parts

Hey folks!

So it has been a while since I went back to collecting the parts for my Ryzen 3700X build. Here's what I have bought so far back in August and below will be the list of what I want to get based on my requirements/needs.

Bought so far:

1) GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X Motherboard
2) Ryzen 3700X CPU
3) Deepcool Matrexx 55 Case No RGB

What I have been recommended for my needs and I think it is right, but I want your thoughts:

1) Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Memory Kit - Black (Eventually I'll go for another 32GB)
2) Corsair TX Series TX750M 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply
3) Noctua NH-D15S cooler - Should clear the RAM
4) Toss up between RTX 2060 Super/Non Super and RX 5700 XT

Thoughts? I know I asked way back in August and few mentioned about the RAM especially for this CPU and Motherboard. Especially CL16 memory or something.

"The 3200Mhz CL16 isnt ideal, Cl14 is best as it is roughly equivalent to 3600 CL16. That is, 3200 CL 14 is about equal to 3600 CL16"

"3200 Mhz CL16 is not equivalent to 3600 CL16. 3200 CL14 is. "
Blanka
18 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
I also don't see Corsair making CL14 for 32GB RAM. Any other company that makes it? OR should I go for 3600mhz CL16? What's the difference?

Found this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b ... ted_sweet/

"3733 is the sweet spot, 3600 CL16 is price/performance. For performance, you'll want the fastest timings at 3733.
level 2
AMagnificentBiscuit
R5 1600X | Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
37 points ·
4 months ago

You are correct. 3733MHz CL17 is recommended for best performance. Obviously if you can find lower timings it's better, but I've also found that the prices tend to increase dramatically the tighter the factory timings.3733 is the sweet spot, 3600 CL16 is price/performance. For performance, you'll want the fastest timings at 3733.
level 2
AMagnificentBiscuit
R5 1600X | Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
37 points ·
4 months ago

You are correct. 3733MHz CL17 is recommended for best performance. Obviously if you can find lower timings it's better, but I've also found that the prices tend to increase dramatically the tighter the factory timings.

Edit: Found this RAM with CL16: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288- ... 6820232861
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
Memory: I think the best value memory even for 32GB is the G Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16. It doesn't have the tightest timings(same as the Trident Z Neo kit you linked), but excellent value and you spend nearly the same as the Corsair 3200 CL16 which is a slight bit slower on XMP. That said the Ripjaws does have a silly heatspreader height so your NH-D15 fan might have to be raised a slight bit to clear. Ryzen likes faster memory, and because 3600 can be had for nearly 3200 prices...I don't see why one sticks with 3200 at the moment unless seeking the Samsung B-die stuff.

Both PSU and Cooler are great so I don't have to say much with those.

GPU: I'd skip the standard RTX 2060 entirely, its inferior to the 5700 and the 2060's ray tracing performance is weak, so even its supposed selling point isn't really a thing. Between 2060 Super and 5700 XT, raw performance goes to the 5700XT, 2060 Super is bare minimum ray tracing performance, so it will heavily depend on how much you value ray tracing.

The optional extra is get a AIB model 5700 that offers dual Bios. Preferably a model that uses similar or the same cooling features as the XT model. Keep stock Bios for backup and flash the XT Bios on the 5700. That will actually make the 5700 perform close to XT levels. Value option if you're ok with the slight gamble.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
JeganV wrote: Memory: I think the best value memory even for 32GB is the G Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16. It doesn't have the tightest timings(same as the Trident Z Neo kit you linked), but excellent value and you spend nearly the same as the Corsair 3200 CL16 which is a slight bit slower on XMP. That said the Ripjaws does have a silly heatspreader height so your NH-D15 fan might have to be raised a slight bit to clear. Ryzen likes faster memory, and because 3600 can be had for nearly 3200 prices...I don't see why one sticks with 3200 at the moment unless seeking the Samsung B-die stuff.

Both PSU and Cooler are great so I don't have to say much with those.

GPU: I'd skip the standard RTX 2060 entirely, its inferior to the 5700 and the 2060's ray tracing performance is weak, so even its supposed selling point isn't really a thing. Between 2060 Super and 5700 XT, raw performance goes to the 5700XT, 2060 Super is bare minimum ray tracing performance, so it will heavily depend on how much you value ray tracing.

The optional extra is get a AIB model 5700 that offers dual Bios. Preferably a model that uses similar or the same cooling features as the XT model. Keep stock Bios for backup and flash the XT Bios on the 5700. That will actually make the 5700 perform close to XT levels. Value option if you're ok with the slight gamble.
Thanks. I’ll take a look further into your recommendations. How often do sales occur on video cards or on RAM these days? Is it worth waiting for Black Friday?

Got a link for the RAM you recommended? Can’t seem to find it online. I don’t think Canada computers also carries that one. Could be wrong.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Thanks. I’ll take a look further into your recommendations. How often do sales occur on video cards or on RAM these days? Is it worth waiting for Black Friday?

Got a link for the RAM you recommended? Can’t seem to find it online. I don’t think Canada computers also carries that one. Could be wrong.
Found it on Newegg, one of the least expensive 32GB 3600 Ram that has CL16. 4 Dimms too, so they're verified to work together.

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288- ... wUwy04_G4Q

The 2x16 kit sold out because it was such a steal but Amazon does have it from a 3rd party seller for more than the 4 Dimm set.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Z45XB3G?tag ... th=1&psc=1

Edit: Missed your sale part of the question. The video card sale happens often randomly, the hope is for black friday/cyber monday that the old stock RTX GPUs are more heavily discounted ie. RTX 2070 and 2080 being the prime targets as they're discontinued and retailers want to make more room for the newer products. The more likely sign of GPU discounting is when a new GPU family comes in and totally blows the old ones in performance/dollar metrics as we saw with heavily discounted Vega GPUs once Navi came in. So if you're still wondering with GPU, you could wait for black friday before truly considering.

With Ram, its a lot more tricky if you want specific sticks, in this category if you like a Ram kit and you feel the price is fair then I'd get it. Only if you're less picky with speeds, timing and heatspreader you could wait for the discounted Ram.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
JeganV wrote: Found it on Newegg, one of the least expensive 32GB 3600 Ram that has CL16. 4 Dimms too, so they're verified to work together.

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288- ... wUwy04_G4Q

The 2x16 kit sold out because it was such a steal but Amazon does have it from a 3rd party seller for more than the 4 Dimm set.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Z45XB3G?tag ... th=1&psc=1

Edit: Missed your sale part of the question. The video card sale happens often randomly, the hope is for black friday/cyber monday that the old stock RTX GPUs are more heavily discounted ie. RTX 2070 and 2080 being the prime targets as they're discontinued and retailers want to make more room for the newer products. The more likely sign of GPU discounting is when a new GPU family comes in and totally blows the old ones in performance/dollar metrics as we saw with heavily discounted Vega GPUs once Navi came in. So if you're still wondering with GPU, you could wait for black friday before truly considering.

With Ram, its a lot more tricky if you want specific sticks, in this category if you like a Ram kit and you feel the price is fair then I'd get it. Only if you're less picky with speeds, timing and heatspreader you could wait for the discounted Ram.
Thanks again. The 4 x 8GB kit is good, but I think it may be an issue if I want to upgrade to 64GB correct? Do you have the link for the 2 x 16GB kit from NewEgg? Perhaps I can wait it out. I wish they were sold locally. As for the Amazon link by the 3rd party seller, it could be a risk in terms of any returns, etc. Correct?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Thanks again. The 4 x 8GB kit is good, but I think it may be an issue if I want to upgrade to 64GB correct? Do you have the link for the 2 x 16GB kit from NewEgg? Perhaps I can wait it out. I wish they were sold locally. As for the Amazon link by the 3rd party seller, it could be a risk in terms of any returns, etc. Correct?
The trick with 4 DIMMs regardless of manufacturer, brand or even near identical model is finding a quad that works well together. In theory you could find another identical 16GBx2 kit and slap them in, however if they don't seem to agree it may not work out in the end even if they're almost identical, the manufacturers will not guarantee this which is why its always a risk. Manufacturers only guarantee a quad set of ram to work if its validated and sold as a whole set. If 64GB is something you want, it might be more wiser to just full on get the 16GBx4 kit.

At the moment the Trident Z Neo kit is the least expensive of that set but its slightly pricey:
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-64gb-288- ... ick1athQKA

I'd skip the Amazon 3rd party seller since for a small extra just get the Trident Z Neo from Newegg you linked instead, that kit is at least looks great.

Can't find the Newegg Canada part of the site only the US one which is easier to search where its OOS:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288 ... S5vwpoT2qg
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
JeganV wrote: The trick with 4 DIMMs regardless of manufacturer, brand or even near identical model is finding a quad that works well together. In theory you could find another identical 16GBx2 kit and slap them in, however if they don't seem to agree it may not work out in the end even if they're almost identical, the manufacturers will not guarantee this which is why its always a risk. Manufacturers only guarantee a quad set of ram to work if its validated and sold as a whole set. If 64GB is something you want, it might be more wiser to just full on get the 16GBx4 kit.

At the moment the Trident Z Neo kit is the least expensive of that set but its slightly pricey:
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-64gb-288- ... ick1athQKA

I'd skip the Amazon 3rd party seller since for a small extra just get the Trident Z Neo from Newegg you linked instead, that kit is at least looks great.

Can't find the Newegg Canada part of the site only the US one which is easier to search where its OOS:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288 ... S5vwpoT2qg
Thanks again. That is one pricey 64GB kit haha. I wonder if there's a 3200mhz CL14 version of it. Is there a significance in price between 3600mhz and 3200mhz?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Thanks again. That is one pricey 64GB kit haha. I wonder if there's a 3200mhz CL14 version of it. Is there a significance in price between 3600mhz and 3200mhz?
Just a quick check and this was the least expensive 3200 4x16GB kit. A Ripjaws V 3200 CL16 kit.

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-64gb-288- ... ZV_K.ipOWg

The rest hit the over $400 mark and Canada Computers pricing on this Ripjaws kit is $440.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=099479

Pricing on the 64GB is still on the high side, equivalent to some of the higher binned memory sticks.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
JeganV wrote: Just a quick check and this was the least expensive 3200 4x16GB kit. A Ripjaws V 3200 CL16 kit.

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-64gb-288- ... ZV_K.ipOWg

The rest hit the over $400 mark and Canada Computers pricing on this Ripjaws kit is $440.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=099479

Pricing on the 64GB is still on the high side, equivalent to some of the higher binned memory sticks.
Once again thanks. Too bad that 3200mhz kit is CL16 and CL14 haha.

On the other hand looks like the one at Canada computers is in limited quantities. Going to see if there’s any wiggle room. Just kidding.

Looks like many don’t go for 64GB eh?

Edit: Derp. Canada computers is also CL16 for 3200mhz.

Guess my luck for 3200mhz CL14 or 3600mhz CL16 is slim.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Once again thanks. Too bad that 3200mhz kit is CL16 and CL14 haha.

On the other hand looks like the one at Canada computers is in limited quantities. Going to see if there’s any wiggle room. Just kidding.

Looks like many don’t go for 64GB eh?

Edit: Derp. Canada computers is also CL16 for 3200mhz.

Guess my luck for 3200mhz CL14 or 3600mhz CL16 is slim.
Yeah, 64GB is a pretty niche case at the moment. Biggest reason to need 64GB Ram is primarily 8K video rendering which is niche even in the video editing space. 16GB is the most mainstream choice now since gaming at this point recommends 16 although 8 still works in some cases. 32 is currently the future proofing choice in the event games exceed 16GB of ram or currently for 4K editors.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
JeganV wrote: Yeah, 64GB is a pretty niche case at the moment. Biggest reason to need 64GB Ram is primarily 8K video rendering which is niche even in the video editing space. 16GB is the most mainstream choice now since gaming at this point recommends 16 although 8 still works in some cases. 32 is currently the future proofing choice in the event games exceed 16GB of ram or currently for 4K editors.
Hmm... The main reason I want to get 64GB is primarily due to running VMs. Maybe I can get away with 32GB? I do a lot of malware analysis and forensics analysis, so I figured 64GB may be the better choice. Ugh... Lol. Decisions Decisions. What's your take on this?

If I were to go with 3200mhz CL16, would there be an issue? Versus running 3200mhz CL14?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Hmm... The main reason I want to get 64GB is primarily due to running VMs. Maybe I can get away with 32GB? I do a lot of malware analysis and forensics analysis, so I figured 64GB may be the better choice. Ugh... Lol. Decisions Decisions. What's your take on this?

If I were to go with 3200mhz CL16, would there be an issue? Versus running 3200mhz CL14?
Ah VM, its a lot tricky to answer since it heavily depends on things like what sort of VMs, how many, and how you want to allocate resources, etc. Here more is merrier but yeah that's a lot harder to answer overall as far as best value, definitely better to ask those who regularly use VMs in this case.

When it comes to CL, the lower the better but ultimately the speed is actually more important. With 3200 CL16, I'd rather go 3600 CL19, the Ryzen systems always prefer faster memory. If you wish to dabble into memory overclocking you may be able to either tighten the timings on the 3600 kit or increase the speed on the 3200 one. A little bit of silicon lottery is required to get the most out of the less expensive kits.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
JeganV wrote: Ah VM, its a lot tricky to answer since it heavily depends on things like what sort of VMs, how many, and how you want to allocate resources, etc. Here more is merrier but yeah that's a lot harder to answer overall as far as best value, definitely better to ask those who regularly use VMs in this case.

When it comes to CL, the lower the better but ultimately the speed is actually more important. With 3200 CL16, I'd rather go 3600 CL19, the Ryzen systems always prefer faster memory. If you wish to dabble into memory overclocking you may be able to either tighten the timings on the 3600 kit or increase the speed on the 3200 one. A little bit of silicon lottery is required to get the most out of the less expensive kits.
At a time I will be running 2 VMs at the same time. One being FlareVM based on a Windows environment, and the other would be a Linux based or another Windows flavour based VM. 16GB on my current desktop and work laptop lags lol. Maybe 32GB may be sufficient? I won't be over clocking my RAM, CPU or GPU at all. All stock form haha. So just to re-iterate:

a) 3200mhz @ CL14 - but its okay to go CL16? However CL19 at 3600mhz is better?
b) 3600mhz @ CL16

I take it that no one has issues with CL19 @ 3600mhz?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2648 posts
1894 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: At a time I will be running 2 VMs at the same time. One being FlareVM based on a Windows environment, and the other would be a Linux based or another Windows flavour based VM. 16GB on my current desktop and work laptop lags lol. Maybe 32GB may be sufficient? I won't be over clocking my RAM, CPU or GPU at all. All stock form haha. So just to re-iterate:

a) 3200mhz @ CL14 - but its okay to go CL16? However CL19 at 3600mhz is better?
b) 3600mhz @ CL16

I take it that no one has issues with CL19 @ 3600mhz?
In normal circumstances 3600 CL19 has more true latency than 3200 CL16. It therefore is more preferred to go with the 3200 on older Ryzen and Intel for that reason. However Ryzen 3rd gen gets the most out of 3600 meaning here the speed is more valuable than the CL in this instance. AMD specifies that 3600 CL16 is the sweet spot but that 3200 CL14 is extremely close therefore a viable 2nd option, a few tests have verified that 3600 edges out the 3200. However 3200 CL14 kits are more likely to go OOS than 3600 CL16 especially people snapping up the Samsung B-die kits.

3200 CL16 and 3600 CL 18 or 19 are the least expensive best value options that are just short of fully being optimal. As far as judging them for performance on a new Ryzen X570 system I'd go 3600 CL 16 > 3200 CL14 > 3600 CL18 or 19 > 3200 CL16 based on plug and play XMP profiles and assuming price is a non factor. Any are fine, if one is substantially cheaper that should decide which one you go with.
Jun 18, 2008
426 posts
171 upvotes
Calgary
I got that Neo Z 4 x 16GB from Newegg last week. It was cheaper then and shipping was less. We can bitch all we want that it's expensive, but fact is, there's nothing cheaper of that capacity and speed. All I saw cheaper was CL19 version.

Word of caution if you think about buying 2x16GB now and then 2x16GB later. While they may be same part number, they may not even have chips on them from same manufacturer. Or they may be from same manufacturer but different kind.

Case in point. That part number F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC I got, was manufactured in October 2019, fresh out of the oven. And it's got Hynix DJR die. Previous ones had Hynix CJR.

Most people wonder why would you ever need more than xxGB of RAM. Games do not take advantage of RAM over yyGB anyways. They forget that not everyone is gamer. I don't play games. I'm about to sell all 3 games that I got as promos while building new PC. Some forms of software development prefer more RAM. Trying to simulate cloud on local machine with multiple VMs, database servers, dev environments, services, etc. works much better with more RAM.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42481 posts
6785 upvotes
753951 wrote: I got that Neo Z 4 x 16GB from Newegg last week. It was cheaper then and shipping was less. We can bitch all we want that it's expensive, but fact is, there's nothing cheaper of that capacity and speed. All I saw cheaper was CL19 version.

Word of caution if you think about buying 2x16GB now and then 2x16GB later. While they may be same part number, they may not even have chips on them from same manufacturer. Or they may be from same manufacturer but different kind.

Case in point. That part number F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC I got, was manufactured in October 2019, fresh out of the oven. And it's got Hynix DJR die. Previous ones had Hynix CJR.

Most people wonder why would you ever need more than xxGB of RAM. Games do not take advantage of RAM over yyGB anyways. They forget that not everyone is gamer. I don't play games. I'm about to sell all 3 games that I got as promos while building new PC. Some forms of software development prefer more RAM. Trying to simulate cloud on local machine with multiple VMs, database servers, dev environments, services, etc. works much better with more RAM.
Thanks. I'll start saving up for that RAM from NewEgg. I just wished that it was sold from other stores such as Mem Express, MIkes or even Canada Computers.
Blanka
Jun 18, 2008
426 posts
171 upvotes
Calgary
We all wish that, but that kind of RAM configuration is in low demand. I guess most sought after kits are 2x8GB and 2x16GB. Even 2x4GB is probably sold more than 4x16GB.