Computers & Electronics

AMD IS BACK! AMD’s Zen CPU Core Coming in 2016!

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2015 11:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto

AMD IS BACK! AMD’s Zen CPU Core Coming in 2016!

http://wccftech.com/amd-officially-reve ... p-zen-k12/

"To put this massive leap in performance into perspective a 40% IPC improvement would put Zen on par with Haswell according to the aggregate single threaded PassMark database. That’s based on Steamroller CPU performance, so without even accounting for the IPC improvement with Excavator. Couple that IPC improvement with SMT support and affordable Summit Ridge 8 core CPUs that are on par with Intel’s $1000 i7 5960X Extreme CPU and you’ve got an extremely competitive product."

Finally, AMD seems to be coming with the heat (pun intended). Pressure on Intel will benefit us all. Hopefully the next two years are a big jump in desktop performance.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37751 posts
5480 upvotes
Winnipeg
get ready for processor TDP of 500W, AMD is known to use excessive power to boost performance
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
"Zen will be a 14nm product, and the 8 core CPUs will allegedly have a 95W TDP. So that's even less than Haswell-E, it's not like AMD is going crazy with power consumption again to try and be competitive."
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1803 posts
298 upvotes
Scarborough
So an AMD CPU to be released sometime in 2016 will have the single-threaded performance of an Intel processor released in 2013, and finally include SMT technology that Intel has been using since 2002.

Brilliant.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully the hype is as good as the specs, otherwise I don't see the need to be hopping brands beside maybe a change in color scheme.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37751 posts
5480 upvotes
Winnipeg
Financials wrote: "Zen will be a 14nm product, and the 8 core CPUs will allegedly have a 95W TDP. So that's even less than Haswell-E, it's not like AMD is going crazy with power consumption again to try and be competitive."
hahahahahahaha
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: hahahahahahaha
ill believe it when i see it too heh, but i mean it was released info so we shall see how it goes.

if they do something ***** and flop again with stupid power hungry heat boxes i doubt they survive long... stock needs a kick.

truthfully, i just hope this lowers intel pricing if they can get competitive at the higher end. basically outside of budget cpus everyone is at the mercy of intel.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12348 posts
2526 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tritium4ever wrote: So an AMD CPU to be released sometime in 2016 will have the single-threaded performance of an Intel processor released in 2013, and finally include SMT technology that Intel has been using since 2002.

Brilliant.
This is a highly misleading post. Intel themselves launched a CPU in 2015 (Broadwell) that's no faster than what they released in 2013, so it's not as if Intel's own performance is still continuously soaring into the stratosphere. Clock for clock, Broadwell might be just 15-20% faster than Sandy Bridge, and that was from January 2011. I think it's safe to say that Intel has hit a performance wall ever since Sandy Bridge, partially because Sandy Bridge's performance was so far ahead of its time. It was Core 2 all over again.

There's a reason why people still use Sandy Bridge as the baseline performance metric today. Every Intel CPU launch after Sandy Bridge has been disappointing. That's not to say they were bad products, just that the performance gain over Sandy Bridge has been minimal. People always hoped for the next big thing, but all we got were single digit increases (if any). People are now hoping for Skylake to be the next big thing - I wouldn't count on it. It'll most likely be 5-10% faster than Haswell at best.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1803 posts
298 upvotes
Scarborough
Misleading how? If Zen has the single-threaded performance of Haswell, AMD is accomplishing in 2016 what Intel did in 2013. Intel "hitting a wall after Sandy Bridge" doesn't change this fact.

Over the last several years AMD has had a habit of over-promising and under-delivering. We'll see next year if Zen can change that.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22341 posts
2982 upvotes
tritium4ever wrote: Misleading how? If Zen has the single-threaded performance of Haswell, AMD is accomplishing in 2016 what Intel did in 2013. Intel "hitting a wall after Sandy Bridge" doesn't change this fact.

Over the last several years AMD has had a habit of over-promising and under-delivering. We'll see next year if Zen can change that.
Are they hitting a wall or purposely taking their time because they have no competition?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16262 posts
2945 upvotes
george__ wrote: Are they hitting a wall or purposely taking their time because they have no competition?
Seems to me they're focusing more on low TDP than raw performance. Mobile devices with long battery life appear to be the future, rather than high-powered desktops. Between the Core M and the Atom tablet CPUs, I'd guess Intel is resting on their laurels for desktop CPUs and looking to take over the mobile market.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12348 posts
2526 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JAC wrote: Seems to me they're focusing more on low TDP than raw performance. Mobile devices with long battery life appear to be the future, rather than high-powered desktops. Between the Core M and the Atom tablet CPUs, I'd guess Intel is resting on their laurels for desktop CPUs and looking to take over the mobile market.
Not just low TDP, but low idle power. They've made huge improvements in idle power since Sandy Bridge despite the TDP and max performance not changing all that much. A 4770K drops to below 10W at idle, while a 2600K could only manage 15-20W. That's a massive difference.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
720 upvotes
Intel probably has contingency plans years ago for this eventual scenario. They knew amd would catch up eventually. This is good news. Finally a bit of competition from amd.

We would all be on 6-8 cores for a medium end machine if amd didn't lag so badly behind intel for half a decade.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12348 posts
2526 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tritium4ever wrote: Misleading how? If Zen has the single-threaded performance of Haswell, AMD is accomplishing in 2016 what Intel did in 2013. Intel "hitting a wall after Sandy Bridge" doesn't change this fact.

Misleading in the sense that your post implied AMD's new CPU will deliver subpar performance for today's standards because it only matches that of a 3-year-old Intel product, when in fact that same 3-year-old product is still par for today.

...unless this is not what you meant to say.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3483 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not holding my breath. There was some serious design flaws in the Bulldozer arch IMHO.

I remember reading the architecture specification preview on a few review sites and I was like man this arch is going to underwhelm, and I was right. Funny at the time I had a Core 2 Quad and was mulling over upgrading and after that just decided to go to an i7.

However, I do hope to see a reasonably competitive CPU from AMD as that may get Intel to jump start looking at ways to improve CPU performance because as I see it, it has spent the last few years focusing on the iGPU's on their CPUs.
MAIN:5950X|X570S Toma|64GB|MSI 5700XT|980 Pro 1TB|4TB WD Black|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW| 1440p144|4K60 - Both 27"
HT:J4125|8GB DDR4
SERVER:2200G|16GB DDR4|512GB|2x12TB
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7231 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
If this is another disappointment like every CPU AMD has released post 2006, AMD should just go back to it roots and make copies of intel chips transistor for transistor.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25595 posts
15444 upvotes
Toronto
So this puts AMD a few years behind Intel which themselves are behind the 8 ball due to lack of presence in the mobile space.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37751 posts
5480 upvotes
Winnipeg
toalan wrote: If this is another disappointment like every CPU AMD has released post 2006, AMD should just go back to it roots and make copies of intel chips transistor for transistor.
i don't believe amd has ever done that
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5311 posts
4551 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not seeing anything particularly impressive, but we will need to wait for price, benchmarks, etc.