Computers & Electronics

AMD Backflips: B450, X470 Motherboards WILL Now Support Zen 3 (upcoming Ryzen 4000 CPUs)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2020 7:54 pm
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C

AMD Backflips: B450, X470 Motherboards WILL Now Support Zen 3 (upcoming Ryzen 4000 CPUs)

Thanks @Quickman

AMD has backtracked. B450 and X470 boards will now support Zen 3 processors. We have all the details:

Old thread title: AMD screwing over B450 and X470 owners, will not support Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) CPU on 400-Series Motherboards (video)

Hardware Unboxed

This will not affect me since I had spent extra on X570 when I bought a Ryzen 3600 last year, thinking this could happen.
Just want to know the thoughts of the RFD community.
Last edited by Soichiro on May 19th, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
75 replies
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
from Hardware Unboxed
Updates: AMD has refrained from commenting and therefore addressing any of our questions at this point, but we have had some interesting conversations with a few of their partners.

Again to be perfectly clear on this point, board partners cannot support Ryzen 4000 series processors on 400-series motherboards without AMD’s help, it’s simply not possible. So don’t expect an AIB to crack the code and open up support, again without AMD’s support it’s not going to happen.

It does seem as though this was a recent decision by AMD and their partners found out the same time we did, so that’s truly bizarre, but then given the last few product releases from AMD it’s getting harder and harder to be suprised by this stuff.

I’ve also had industry contacts confirm that the AMD BIOS excuse is rubbish and that simple workarounds are possible, just like the one I discussed. In one example there would be a single large BIOS file that you download, then upon flashing you select the CPU series you want to support and it flashes the appropriate code.

So at this point it’s now up to the rest of the community to pressure AMD into changing this decision and to open up support for 400-series boards. You guys had better believe that if you give them an inch, they’ll take a mile and we’ll be back to where we were just a few years ago.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42086 posts
6646 upvotes
Pardon the lack of ignorance, but is the Ryzen 4000 series going to be a new CPU range in comparison to 3600/3600x, 3700x, 3800x and 3900x?
Proud to be an Indian.
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
djemzine wrote: Pardon the lack of ignorance, but is the Ryzen 4000 series going to be a new CPU range in comparison to 3600/3600x, 3700x, 3800x and 3900x?
Yes. AMD has not announced when we will see these, but could be near the end of the year.

If we mapped out a launch trajectory based on previous Ryzen launches, it would make sense for Zen 3-based processors to come later into 2020. The first batch of Ryzen processors came out in March 2017, with Ryzen 2000 following in April 2018 and Ryzen 3000 in July 2019. That gives each generation a little over a year on the market before, and points to a Zen 3 launch with Ryzen 4000 processors toward August 2020.

from https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-zen-3
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12226 posts
3382 upvotes
that's why technology is never "future proof", if you want to use something, buy it NOW
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42086 posts
6646 upvotes
Soichiro wrote: Yes. AMD has not announced when we will see these, but could be near the end of the year.

If we mapped out a launch trajectory based on previous Ryzen launches, it would make sense for Zen 3-based processors to come later into 2020. The first batch of Ryzen processors came out in March 2017, with Ryzen 2000 following in April 2018 and Ryzen 3000 in July 2019. That gives each generation a little over a year on the market before, and points to a Zen 3 launch with Ryzen 4000 processors toward August 2020.

from https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-zen-3
Gotcha. Thank you. So these will have better specs right? So I guess I either buy the 3 series now. Or wait for 4 series and buy it? Or wait for 4 series and let the prices of 3 series drop.

I am hoping the 4 series is not much of a huge difference, otherwise I'd be crying lol. Hopefully prices aren't expensive either.
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 15, 2011
42086 posts
6646 upvotes
While we may be looking at upgrades to DDR5 RAM and PCIe 5.0 support further down the line with Zen 4, we have no indications that Zen 3 will move away from DDR4 and the only recently introduced PCIe 4.0 standard.
DDR5 will be nice, but motherboard dependent. Also price too :(

I had a X570 motherboard for a 3700X build, but sold them lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
33304 posts
7004 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Title of this thread is in poor taste.

When AMD announce AM4 back in 2017, they clearly stated that the current generation would be End Of Life (EOL) in 2020

They are right on schedule and kept their word.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1015 posts
819 upvotes
Not a problem. Paid $80 for a B450 board, and if I get a RYZEN 4000 CPU, will pick up a B550 board (guesstimate ~$150) - so total = $230 which is the same cost as a X570.

My guess is that the RYZEN 4000 CPUs will not be a large leap technology wise over the RYZEN 3000. Kinda like RYZEN 1000 series to RYZEN 2000 series, not a big difference.

Maybe by the time RYZEN 4000 CPUs get released, the 3000 Series will be cheap enough for B450/X470 owners to upgrade, keeping their systems going ...
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12255 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
LGA 1155 -> LGA 1150 -> LGA 1151 -> LGA 1151 "Rev2"...
Deal with it.
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
509 upvotes
Well shit! Wasted money purchasing the X470 board last winter. :(
Jul 2, 2011
256 posts
157 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Gee wrote: Title of this thread is in poor taste.

When AMD announce AM4 back in 2017, they clearly stated that the current generation would be End Of Life (EOL) in 2020

Well said! I came here with the intention of saying the same. Personally, I don't feel that I nor anyone else is entitled ;) to a forever standard. BTW OP, I was disappointed in the limited (skewed?) choices of your survey so I chose to not vote.

Tom
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42086 posts
6646 upvotes
tom_no.1 wrote: Well said! I came here with the intention of saying the same. Personally, I don't feel that I nor anyone else is entitled ;) to a forever standard. BTW OP, I was disappointed in the limited (skewed?) choices of your survey so I chose to not vote.

Tom
+1. Was looking for "I do not have a qualifying motherboard" or "Doesn't affect me".

@Soichiro
Proud to be an Indian.
Jul 1, 2016
891 posts
456 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Pardon the lack of ignorance, but is the Ryzen 4000 series going to be a new CPU range in comparison to 3600/3600x, 3700x, 3800x and 3900x?
Absolutely; there seems to be alot of misunderstanding with AMD when they said they'll support board owners with Zen until "2020".
They never specifically mentioned they will support 450/470 owners until Zen 4xxx (for compatibility).

While AMD COULD have communicated this better, I don't hold anything against them considering Intel changes sockets EVERY SINGLE REFRESH.
Realistically speaking, with all things considered. Ryzen 4xxxx is an NEW architecture with benefits BEYOND just IPC OR PCI-E 4 support. I don't understand all this butt-hurt from people... Furthermore, when Ryzen 3xxx was launched the support for older boards (B350, 370s and in some cases EVEN B320!) was overwhelmingly positive. While the rollout had it's flaws, the fact they supported was refreshing.

Bottom line is... AMD is the same as Intel in the sense they need to make enough profits to cover at least their R&D, cost of operations and salaries for their staff. With any additional profits reinvested INTO the company to design and engineer even better hardware for us all.
AMD is NOT here to subsidize the cost of hardware or make them "cheaper" for us.
Though the new competition in the hardware market has DEFINITELY benefited us (consumers) VERY VERY well in just 2 years; in terms of cost, product selection, performance and VALUE.
Pixelation~
Oct 14, 2009
692 posts
252 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
The number of times I've updated my processor and kept the same motherboard can be counted on zero hands.

I don't get why people are making a big deal about this.
Aug 23, 2019
463 posts
346 upvotes
ugly wrote: The number of times I've updated my processor and kept the same motherboard can be counted on zero hands.

I don't get why people are making a big deal about this.
Firstly, just because some X thing (not upgrading mboards) hasn't before or that you haven't done it doesn't mean it's not practical/possible. I won't get into intel's shenanigans with their 6/7/8 gens here but mobo future compatibility has been possible since that time.
Second. it's not really about the tech but AMD/board makers promoting their products based on future compatibility and also being unclear til the very end. Id say that AMD shouldve made this announcement at least a couple of months ago if not a year. It's possible as chipsets have been in production for longer than that.

It's a big deal because their reasoning isn't a good one since last generation Zen was backwards compatible and i guess people want more clarity.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10594 posts
995 upvotes
Vancouver
This really only affects people who upgrade every year and if they can afford to do that, they can afford a new motherboard.

So my B450 motherboard will have less resale value, no big deal to me. I don't wish I spent more to get a X570. Technology changes/improves too quickly for me to consider "future-proofing" an effective strategy.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Oct 14, 2009
692 posts
252 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Zarkey wrote: Firstly, just because some X thing (not upgrading mboards) hasn't before or that you haven't done it doesn't mean it's not practical/possible.
The point is that this is a pretty niche set of circumstances. Not many people upgrade their processor every couple of years. And, the way processors have been going you can get away with not upgrading the CPU for a lot longer. You can comfortably use a good processor from 5 years ago and get solid performance.

People who actually build their own PC is a relatively small market. The true enthusiasts who get the latest, greatest components is an even smaller market. And if someone wants the latest, greatest components, then why would they be cost-conscious on the motherboard? Not many people are going to be upgrading from a Ryzen 2000 or 3000 to a Ryzen 4000.
It's a big deal because their reasoning isn't a good one since last generation Zen was backwards compatible and i guess people want more clarity.
Why does it matter if the last generation Zen was backwards compatible? When you assume something incorrectly, it's your own fault. They're stating it clearly now. Any experienced computer builder knows that future-proofing is a fool's game.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25972 posts
3265 upvotes
Montreal
Gee wrote: Title of this thread is in poor taste.

Damn straight. I have a b350 I bought in 2017 that's still being used. I upgraded to a 2700x last year and it does fine. I will keep until something comes along that forces me to upgrade. And even then, if the 3900x goes on liquidation, i.may just pick up on.

So close to 3 and half years on one board is good enough for me. My only regret is not having a a 2nd m.2 slot.