Dec 6, 2006
5227 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto

AMD Career Fair for engineering SW/HW/PM

Interesting career event from AMD, posted in Linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/amd/ca ... av_careers

Now hiring: brilliant people to transform imagination into innovation

At AMD, we are seekers of new experiences: seeing the marvelous, hearing the phenomenal, and feeling the sensational. Our hunger for these new experiences and fresh sensations has driven world-changing innovations in visual computing — and advanced computing and graphics processors for rendering ultra-fidelity imagery at the highest frame rates.

AMD Canada is hosting a Career Fair on April 14th, from 4PM until 9PM, held at our Markham office building at 1 Commerce Valley Drive East in Markham, Ontario. Career opportunities include Hardware and Software Engineers, ASIC and Software Architects, Product and Program Management, Technology Managers, Design Validation Engineers, Business Development Experts, and more. There are openings at all levels, and recent university graduates are welcome.

For all of you who complains "no jobzzz!" for engineering, you're welcomed :)
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5227 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
Perhaps. But you got to buy the lottery to at least get a chance to win right? :)

Besides, having a chance to talk to ppl in the industry is probably worthwhile too. I suppose there will be hiring managers, people from HR & what not during the event to talk to, and not just a big carboard box for ppl to drop off CV hah.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
Good luck. The last event I attended wasn't worth it for me as the list of companies in attendance wasn't circulated until we were in the lobby outside the conference room waiting for it to open. Then all the employer reps I talked to said to apply online. What was the point of the event then :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3303 posts
372 upvotes
Mississauga
notfromqc wrote: Good luck. The last event I attended wasn't worth it for me as the list of companies in attendance wasn't circulated until we were in the lobby outside the conference room waiting for it to open. Then all the employer reps I talked to said to apply online. What was the point of the event then :facepalm:
you need to make stronger pitches then....

ive been on both sides of the table in career fairs, as job hunter, and as company rep.

as job hunter, most folks said apply online, but after talking you need to get them to like you and they'll usually take your resume or your name to pass along to hiring manager/HR.

as company rep, for most folks i'd tell em to apply online, but if i liked someone i made a note of their name and passed it on directly to hiring manager.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5227 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
notfromqc wrote: Good luck. The last event I attended wasn't worth it for me as the list of companies in attendance wasn't circulated until we were in the lobby outside the conference room waiting for it to open. Then all the employer reps I talked to said to apply online. What was the point of the event then :facepalm:
The last event from AMD? Or you mean some other career event?
This one looks to be AMD exclusive only so there won't be any other companies to be listed I guess. Searching Glassdoor, AMD does have quite a number of job openings so I think it's a legit hiring event.

As mbk said, if you can get a rep interested in you, that can mean a fast track into the hiring process. If you don't try, you won't even get this chance, however small you think it may be. Also, perhaps submitting online is a corporate HR policy so that's what the rep will say by default. When I was accepted for my current position in my company through internship, I still had to "apply" online to HR even though the manager literally already hired me.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
boyohboy wrote: The last event from AMD? Or you mean some other career event?
This one looks to be AMD exclusive only so there won't be any other companies to be listed I guess. Searching Glassdoor, AMD does have quite a number of job openings so I think it's a legit hiring event.

As mbk said, if you can get a rep interested in you, that can mean a fast track into the hiring process. If you don't try, you won't even get this chance, however small you think it may be. Also, perhaps submitting online is a corporate HR policy so that's what the rep will say by default. When I was accepted for my current position in my company through internship, I still had to "apply" online to HR even though the manager literally already hired me.
Yes your thing is strictly AMD, they must have a number of openings and want to fill them relatively quickly. Mine was an OSPE thing. It had maybe a dozen companies, different fields (some mech some electrical some civil) and some were not in GTA, so that greatly reduced the ones I could even approach. As for the pitch, well I am rusty it's been more than 10 years since last time so it is hard for me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5227 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
Happening in a few more hours...

Talked to someone from the inside, the fair is decent size with many booths setup, so there will be many personnel you can talk to. Also have a bit of tech showcases including VR setup. No mention of free foods or gifts tho lol.