Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes

AMD has rebranded the RX580 and has given it less cores

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2790 ... processors

LOL

I have to say this looks like one of the stupidest and worst GPU launches I have seen in a long time.

I'm also hearing about 12nm Vega cards instead of 7nm like we were hearing about before. I thought AMD was skipping the 10nm/12nm node? It goes to show you can never trust any of the AMD rumors out there. They are nothing but a bunch of hot air, often used to manipulate their stock price.

Just by the way, this new "RX580" actually has the same number of cores as an RX570. Super shady IMO.

**edit**

It appears these cards will only be sold in China/Asia. Still stupid and still shady though, IMO.
28 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
The video card market is lying to itself because it can't face the truth regarding Moore's law and repeated failed die shrinks.

We're rapidly approaching a wall, prices are rising, and people are souring to new high-end graphics cards.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Bad move on AMD's part.. tarnishing the RX580 name more. Should've just called it RX575 or something to avoid the confusion
Mar 11, 2017
134 posts
39 upvotes
from what i read the name was suppose to be RX575 but this card wilil only be sale in asia and not on the normal market for usa canada.will proably be wierd brands like galaxy etc. chinese branded for cheaper card. i am not amd fan but this is for cheaper china market. no scam going on here.
- english is my 2nd language - will be typos -
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
Now, you have to be careful if buying the rx 580 online, especially on ebay and/or from sellers (in China) that you don't get the 2048SP version?

I would bet that AMD had all these 'extra' cards 'leftover' so they are branding them as rx 580 2048SP? Cards that 'didn't work out' in the manufacturing process or something like that and they would like to sell them and make some sort of profit on them?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7057 posts
3368 upvotes
amd just chopped their own nuts off. They need to fire their marketing director.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7057 posts
3368 upvotes
tritium4ever wrote: This is pretty similar to how Nvidia released a neutered 5GB version of the GTX 1060 for the Chinese market. Not sure why this is a big deal.
you mean 3gig vs 6gig and 6 gig version is a bit faster even discounting the increase in vram. This time for AMD there is no way to distinguish between a normal rx580 and a castrated rx580. Short of listing the fill rates etc which wont be done if you sell it 2nd hand.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5437 posts
4855 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: you mean 3gig vs 6gig and 6 gig version is a bit faster even discounting the increase in vram. This time for AMD there is no way to distinguish between a normal rx580 and a castrated rx580. Short of listing the fill rates etc which wont be done if you sell it 2nd hand.
No he means an actual 5gb version of 1060 in China, I know it's weird. I think it's only meant for internet cafes, because price of VRAM was too expensive so they cut corners to save money.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/318 ... sia-market
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
It's scammy, but IMO it's not much different than putting crappy slow RAM on cards that only really see the benefit with fast RAM.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7057 posts
3368 upvotes
EugW wrote: It's scammy, but IMO it's not much different than putting crappy slow RAM on cards that only really see the benefit with fast RAM.
NVidia isn't a company to be trusted, obviously, e.g. drivers that fake performance depending on benchmark used, defective gpu chips that crack after a number of power cycles, unfair business tactics towards competitors, cheaped out on pcb components that saved the company a few cents per board but leads to dead boards even on 1070/1080, slower vram to save on money. With AMD I expected quite a bit better.

But even if 5 gigs of ram this can be readily identified on the used market because the sellers have to specify how much vram is on there. Not so much with AMD when a 570 is marketed as a 580 with equal vram.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1906 posts
1000 upvotes
As someone else mentioned, this is equivalent to the 5GB GTX 1060 released only in China.

AMD did not rebrand the RX 580 and plan on selling it across the globe. This is a niche release destined for LAN cafes in China where esport titles dominate.

Stupid clickbait title.
SickBeast wrote: It goes to show you can never trust any of the AMD rumors out there. They are nothing but a bunch of hot air, often used to manipulate their stock price.
Lol wut. That's why they are called rumours.

You sound like you have it out for AMD. Be glad they are mostly competitive in the market again otherwise Intel would still be pumping out 9th generation quad-cores instead of octo-cores.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This has been happening for years in China, with both AMD and NV. The market dynamics for PC hardware are just weird there.

This is really non-news.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
berniebennybernard wrote:
Lol wut. That's why they are called rumours.

You sound like you have it out for AMD. Be glad they are mostly competitive in the market again otherwise Intel would still be pumping out 9th generation quad-cores instead of octo-cores.
SickBeast and ES_Revenge have their own hate club. Technically red is suppose to represent hate but that would look like they are for AMD.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: SickBeast and ES_Revenge have their own hate club. Technically red is suppose to represent hate but that would look like they are for AMD.
The only issue I have currently with AMD is their viral marketing program which I have personally seen destroy some of the best and most established hardware forums, AnandTech and Reddit included. I suppose that plus the fact that they currently don't sell anything faster than a midrange GPU which makes their product line irrelevant to me.

Great CPUs though. I will give them that much.

I will tell you I have been a huge fan of AMD/ATi for decades now. In fact I ran their hardware exclusively for a long period of time.

I just tell it like it is and I call it like I see it. If you don't like that, too bad. The fact is that AMD has released a new GPU with the same name as a previous product, with less cores. They very easily could have (and should have) given it a different name. But they didn't. And I'm talking about it. Too bad for you if you don't like it. Winking Face

If AMD can offer me a good upgrade for my GTX 1080 Ti, I am all ears, and I would certainly consider it. Am I planning to wait 3-5 years for that to happen, though? No. If they have something available when I am ready to upgrade, great. Otherwise I will go with nVidia.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: SickBeast and ES_Revenge have their own hate club. Technically red is suppose to represent hate but that would look like they are for AMD.
Everyone says that Nvidia is bad, though....tons of negative perspectives that you can find about Nvidia's price gouging practices..... where is there any criticism for AMD video cards? I don't know of any.

Maybe SickBeast and the other guy is anti-AMD but so what? Are you discrediting his critique without basis? I thought the critique was valid and so what if Nvidia does it too? You might have a point if the OP was praising Nvidia or avoided Nvidia topics and there's a pattern of that or something similar? Do you see what I'm getting at?

Anyway, I'm not sure what is bad about the thread/post. It's interesting that these companies release or rehash hardware and people still buy/support it. Also, no matter what Intel or Nvidia do, people will still buy their products/hardware components and I'm strictly talking about gamers - they are still the product leaders in performance etc. so if people have the money, they will spend on this stuff. Not everyone is willing to put principle before cold cash....
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1823 posts
318 upvotes
Scarborough
If you wanna talk same name but with drastically different performance, how about the GT 1030, available with either GDDR5 or DDR4. Same name, but the DDR4 version has lower clock speeds and a third (!) of the memory bandwidth.

Gonna call out Nvidia on that one too?
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $13/month plan
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
tritium4ever wrote: If you wanna talk same name but with drastically different performance, how about the GT 1030, available with either GDDR5 or DDR4. Same name, but the DDR4 version has lower clock speeds and a third (!) of the memory bandwidth.

Gonna call out Nvidia on that one too?
Of course it sucks when nvidia does it also. However in this case there is really no way to know how many cores you are getting before you buy. At least with the nVidia cards the memory type will be listed on the box and the product listing. The rx580 is also an extremely popular gaming card. I am surprised to see AMD taint their best product like this. Polaris has always been their best and most competitive GPU this generation.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3141 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Of course it sucks when nvidia does it also. However in this case there is really no way to know how many cores you are getting before you buy. At least with the nVidia cards the memory type will be listed on the box and the product listing. The RX580 is also an extremely popular gaming card. I am surprised to see AMD taint their best product like this. Polaris has always been their best and most competitive GPU this generation.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

"Extremely popular" being ∼0.33%? Get out of here.

The fact is most people buy GTX1050Tis and GTX1060 level cards around the $300 range, and even when the the equivalent AMD card to the 1060 went on sale for ∼$50-$100 cheaper, nobody bought them. We made our beds and now we're sleeping in them.

We enthusiast are loud and cry about all these high end cards but the reality is most people simply don't care for that level of performance or simply can't afford them.

Most people are expecting 7nm chips to arrive summer 2019, I don't know what this has anything to do with that launch but I guess it fits your narrative.

This is a bad move on AMD's part and it's perfectly fine to call them out, it's also okay to be biased, it's the internet afterall who the F cares, just be expect to be called out and for people to take your words less seriously.