Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] AB residents - Receive up to 6x$25 statement credits for 6x$100+ spend at Direct Energy using AmEx (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 8:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1012 posts
1987 upvotes
Airdrie, AB

[American Express] AB residents - Receive up to 6x$25 statement credits for 6x$100+ spend at Direct Energy using AmEx (YMMV)

If you're a Direct Energy customer for home heating/electricity (unfortunately this automatically limits this offer to Alberta residents), and have an AmEx, check your AmEx for this offer and register your card! As usual with AmEx offers, YMMV. $25 statement credit for $100+ spendings at DirectEnergy on your AmEx. Repeat up to 6 times between now and the end of September 2020, and get up to $150.

I received the offer on my American Express Simply Cash.
AmExDirectEnergy.jpg

You can manually make payments from the Direct Energy website, so if you have a $250 energy bill, you might want to break it up into two $125 payments, and repeat until you complete 6 transactions.
  • After registering your AmEx for the offer on the AmEx website or app, log into your Direct Energy acount.
  • Payments --> Manage Payment Information --> Add New Credit Card --> Add your AmEx card
  • Payments --> Make One Time Payment --> Select your AmEx, specify Pay Other Amount $ value > $100 --> Pay Now.
  • Rinse and repeat as applicable. You can over-pay above your balance, but I'd recommend just doing this on $100+ once to make sure the credit comes through (usually does so within a few days, despite what the terms & conditions indicate), and then repeat once you've confirmed you get it.
Edit: Specified offer available to Alberta residents only, as in Canada, Direct Energy only operates in AB
Last edited by CalgaryBen on Apr 19th, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1012 posts
1987 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
I can confirm that a credit is provided within days of a charge going through, contrary to the T&C stating that the statement credit will be added "within 90 days after 30/09/2020".

My Direct Energy bill was issued 04/15. I immediately put through $100 on my AmEx. Today, I saw the balance only at $75, with the $25 credit applied on 04/18.
directenergy-amex.GIF

Here's a question for others more familiar with AmEx offers... they say "one single qualifying purchase or cumulative qualifying purchase(s) that total at least $100 (CAD) after taxes must be charged to your registered card...". Should I just apply my full balance (e.g. $250) each time, and let them add it up? Or is it still better to break them up into $100 transactions? My interpretation is that they'll take the total Direct Energy amounts charged to AmEx during the promo period, and divide by $100, and each will qualify for $25 up to $150 in credit.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1358 posts
619 upvotes
Calgary, AB
CalgaryBen wrote: I can confirm that a credit is provided within days of a charge going through, contrary to the T&C stating that the statement credit will be added "within 90 days after 30/09/2020".

My Direct Energy bill was issued 04/15. I immediately put through $100 on my AmEx. Today, I saw the balance only at $75, with the $25 credit applied on 04/18.

directenergy-amex.GIF

Here's a question for others more familiar with AmEx offers... they say "one single qualifying purchase or cumulative qualifying purchase(s) that total at least $100 (CAD) after taxes must be charged to your registered card...". Should I just apply my full balance (e.g. $250) each time, and let them add it up? Or is it still better to break them up into $100 transactions? My interpretation is that they'll take the total Direct Energy amounts charged to AmEx during the promo period, and divide by $100, and each will qualify for $25 up to $150 in credit.
All in your time value of money, I split my koodo bill so I would get the credits faster and then went back to preferred CC for pre-auth charges.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1012 posts
1987 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
CalgaryBen wrote: I can confirm that a credit is provided within days of a charge going through, contrary to the T&C stating that the statement credit will be added "within 90 days after 30/09/2020".

To answer my own question, and for the benefit of others -- AmEx keeps track of Direct Energy transactions, so just put through $600 over several bills in the next few months (until end of September), or put through a single $600 transaction if you want, and you should get the $150. My first bill was $250, next one was $180. I had broken these up into $100, $150, $80, and $100 payments to see what I would get, and I've received 4 x $25 to date. I'll just need another $170 (can even invoke a pre-payment with $0 balance from Direct Energy online account to get this done with), and then can resume payment using my normal/usual CC of choie...
Mar 19, 2019
45 posts
38 upvotes
How are you finding Direct Energy services?

I am looking forward to switch over from Enmax to take advantage of this deal. The only flow through rate contract they offer is a 3 year contract. Their agent advised there's no cancellation fee if I were to be unsatisfied with their service and switch back to Enmax.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1012 posts
1987 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Gamethesystem wrote: How are you finding Direct Energy services?

I am looking forward to switch over from Enmax to take advantage of this deal.
Remarkably, I'm quite happy with Direct Energy (I didn't want to be happy with them, but they got me and I plan to stick around)! I, too, was with Enmax before (been loyal for 20+ years). I got sucked into one of the $25 Walmart gift card Direct Energy booths at Walmart last year, so I figured I'd give it a try, and switch back if I didn't like it. The "free energy" or Lucky Penny 1¢ gas/electricity promos are really minor (might save you $10-20), since you're still charged for Admin, Delivery, and Rate Riders/Local fees, which make up the bulk of your bill. However, the monthly Admin fee is lower ($6.00 for gas and $6.00 for electricity), whereas Enmax was variable (about $7-8 per month for gas, and same for electricity). All other fees seem relatively similar. Despite what Enmax's "EasyMax" claimed, and being on similar per-unit rates, I'm actually paying less overall with Direct Energy (I wouldn't say huge, but enough to warrant staying). They also included a free furnace inspection/tune-up, which wasn't too bad (tech showed up and did his job, and I didn't feel pressured/obligated to do/buy anything).

After leaving Enmax, they called me and offered me $100 credit to go back (but, I didn't). So, you can always play that game if it comes up...

Now with this AmEx offer, plus the incentives from Direct Energy, I'm probably ahead around $250-300 after one-year, compared to if I had stayed with Enmax. Going forward, it'll probably be a savings of only $35-50/year versus Enmax.
Mar 19, 2019
45 posts
38 upvotes
Direct Energy has up'ed the admin fee to $9.00 per site, $9.00 for gas and $9.00 for electricity. I have just put in the request to switch over. Thanks for your comment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1012 posts
1987 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Gamethesystem wrote: Direct Energy has up'ed the admin fee to $9.00 per site, $9.00 for gas and $9.00 for electricity.
Interesting (and good to know)... I'm not sure how/why I got the $6 admin fees (i.e. whether it was just part of the promo, or that was the going rate). It's been $6 consistently, including my last bill. It surprised me because all the energy rate comparison sites (e.g www.ucahelps.alberta.ca and energyrates.ca) had Direct Energy's admin fees listed at $12.00 for gas, and $12.00 for electricity (which is the original reason I didn't want to like Direct Energy).
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2117 posts
811 upvotes
I was interested until I read the fine print which says Direct Energy Regulated services are excluded from this offer. They supply my natural gas under the regulated rate option so I can't take advantage of this. Oh well.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Mar 19, 2019
45 posts
38 upvotes
I have finally got my gas/electricity transferred over to Direct Energy. However, I realized that the online system would not allow me to go more the -$25 on my balance. This might be a recent change to their system.
Oct 13, 2016
138 posts
74 upvotes
Gamethesystem wrote: I have finally got my gas/electricity transferred over to Direct Energy. However, I realized that the online system would not allow me to go more the -$25 on my balance. This might be a recent change to their system.
Same here. My usage is typically way down over the summer and I've had 2 consecutive bills of ~$70 so I wasnt able to top it up above $100.

The 2nd bill was paid on July 9. Still waiting to see if a credit will be applied for a cumulative total above $100.
Mar 19, 2019
45 posts
38 upvotes
When I was paying for the July bill, I typed in an amount that total $600 with my previous payment. The payment went through.