Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] ***For Airmiles Collectors*** - American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 9:56 am
[OP]
May 13, 2015
220 posts
635 upvotes
Ontario

[American Express] ***For Airmiles Collectors*** - American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card

American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card
Price changing from $65 to $120 (https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... -LearnMore)

2000 bonus airmiles on a 3 month total spending of $1500.

With the increased cost, it becomes more rewarding and it provides 1 airmile per $5 which is the best in Canada. Next best as I see is the BMO Airmiles WorldElite Mastercard at $120 annual cost (i have this one),
that gives you 1 airmile per $10 on everything. The AMEX gives you 6000 airmiles for an annual spend of $30k on gas, gorcery, transportation, taxi/ride sharing, and restaurants. For anything else, you can earn an airmile at $10 (same as BMO)

On airmiles side, 6000 airmiles in a year gives you the Onyx status that comes with its own rewards.
Life isn’t fair but Thank God - there is RFD.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2512 posts
2756 upvotes
Calgary
Thank you OP. I will apply again.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
I don't understand how this is a Hot Deal based on the increase of Air Miles reward
[OP]
May 13, 2015
220 posts
635 upvotes
Ontario
flash67 wrote: I don't understand how this is a Hot Deal based on the increase of Air Miles reward
Just to put in perspective, this is double airmiles for the same amount of money spent.
Apr 15, 2014
986 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Air miles are useless. What's the point of all these points.
Please respond
Aug 1, 2014
271 posts
98 upvotes
CardinalComb wrote: Air miles are useless. What's the point of all these points.
The point is to earn and use the points
Oct 24, 2009
882 posts
1241 upvotes
Vancouver
Just to clarify, it is only for certain category for extra earning but definitely better than other AM cards out there. I wonder if you have both bmo worldelite and this one, can you get 15% discount on AM flight (bmo benefit) and 25% rebate (new Amex benefit upto 750AMs - also stated that this is calendar year benefit so you can double dip twice before cancelling).
I am gonna try to see if that works later this year before I cancel bmo one.
Oct 17, 2015
169 posts
193 upvotes
Ajax
This is not the deal at all. 🤣 Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 30, 2017
88 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario
Not worth it in my eyes but I guess everyone is different. Without kids, we only spend about $10K a year on stuff in that category which is only an extra $100~. I'd rather have the lounge passes and better insurance coverage that you get with the BMO card. Or pay the extra $179 per year to get the reserve card and get a companion flight and onyx status, 4 lounge visits, better insurance and priority security at Pearson.
[OP]
May 13, 2015
220 posts
635 upvotes
Ontario
taya1214 wrote: Just to clarify, it is only for certain category for extra earning but definitely better than other AM cards out there. I wonder if you have both bmo worldelite and this one, can you get 15% discount on AM flight (bmo benefit) and 25% rebate (new Amex benefit upto 750AMs - also stated that this is calendar year benefit so you can double dip twice before cancelling).
I am gonna try to see if that works later this year before I cancel bmo one.
I do not have amex yet but am considering. For the same amount i spend on the BMO, i can get more airmiles. but then everyone is different. for travel, and for lounge access, i dont mind spending extra bucks.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
1048 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
pmehley wrote: I do not have amex yet but am considering. For the same amount i spend on the BMO, i can get more airmiles. but then everyone is different. for travel, and for lounge access, i dont mind spending extra bucks.
This is not really a good deal. I signed up last year through GCR that had an annual fee rebate of $50. The net annual fee was $15 ($65 - 50) for 2000 AM or $210 AM Cash. As I collect AM cash, the increase in annual fee to $120, by $55, would mean I would have to collect a 523 AM to break even, which would cost me an additional $5,225 in spending on everything that gave me 1 AM per $10 spend, or $2,612 in spending on food and restaurants at 1 AM per $5 spend.
Jun 15, 2016
97 posts
118 upvotes
If we sign up before hte fee increase, will we get the improved earn rate come Nov. 4?
My life has become a cycle of figuring out what deals to return and what to keep.
AMEX Platinum, Bonvoy, Gold. Just Ask.