Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

[AMEX & 1Password] Spend at least $70 and earn a one-time $70 statement credit

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2022 6:12 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Been using 1Password ever since I switched to iPhone last year. On iOS it's way better than LastPass.

Is the price on the website USD or CAD?

I switched my personal to Family and it says it will charge $67.63 so I am assuming I am good for the promo.
Your next payment is on

March 9, 2022

Families Plan (Annual)
$59.85

Sub-total
$59.85

Tax (13%)
$7.78

Total
$67.63
Dec 13, 2020
808 posts
1957 upvotes
Markham, ON
BengaliPrince wrote: Been using 1Password ever since I switched to iPhone last year. On iOS it's way better than LastPass.

I switched my personal to Family and it says it will charge $67.63 so I am assuming I am good for the promo.
Is the Amex statement credit available to existing customers? Also, the promo requires you spending CAD $70
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
pkamto wrote: Is the Amex statement credit available to existing customers? Also, the promo requires you spending CAD $70
Yes. Other users in this thread have confirmed it works for renewals.

Just register your card and make sure your renewal happens within the offer period.
Dec 13, 2020
808 posts
1957 upvotes
Markham, ON
BengaliPrince wrote: Yes. Other users in this thread have confirmed it works for renewals.

Just register your card and make sure your renewal happens within the offer period.
Sweet.. Thank you!
Feb 16, 2013
84 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
pkamto wrote: Got a question here. I noticed that for a new user, there's a 14 day trial before the card gets charged, so my card won't be charged if I sign up today while I have the rakuten cashback plugin active, right? How can I get the rakuten cashback in this case?
Wondering about the same thing. Has anyone gotten cashback after the 14 day trial?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
scottmg wrote: does anyone have any reviews for 1password? does it integrate well in android devices/chrome?

will it autofill passwords, etc?
jonnyow wrote:
The link in the promo directs you to sign up the Family Plan (for up to five users) that comes to just over $70/year. Clearly that's what they're marketing.
kups wrote:
I use this on both my PC and Android. I have a family membership and love it. A bit of a PIA to setup all your passwords but so easy to use now that it's setup.
Midevilshadow wrote:
Genuinely curious what features really stand out with 1password? I currently host my own keepass manager on my NAS drive and between keeweb with the chrome extension and strongbox (premium) on my iPhone, there isn't much else I can want from it (well, okay tbh the chrome extension is flakey at best so that could use some improvements). What am I missing out on/should I bother trialing 1password?
blackhat8287 wrote:
I have both and Apple’s password app is still miles behind. It doesn’t have sharing or vault so you can’t just share passwords with family and friends. The vault also propagates changes to your passwords across all devices, including your friends and family’s devices. So for people who split subscriptions and share accounts, this is great.

Lastly 1Password stores all the credit card info and not just the card number where I have to look up the CVV. Sometimes when the website doesn’t recognize the card field, I can’t just drag in the info in as an extension with iCloud passwords like I can with 1Password. I have to look it up in iCloud passwords and manually copy the info.
angelmdz wrote: Bitwarden or other open source tools are not for everyone. I can't just see my mom setting up her server for this (and I'm not doing that for her.... I know how this story ends).

If you got the offer and you currently don't use a password manager, it's a no brainer. I use 1Password for simplicity.

As a friendly reminder, check if your passwords has been compromised at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - Yes, it's a secure site. Yes, it only asks for your email. No, I'm not a hacker and I don't care about your password
andesco wrote:
Agree. There are free and paid alternative, sure, but 1Password is the best (premium?) cross-platform password manager.

A great service run by Troy Hunt (https://www.troyhunt.com) that does require you email address(es) but it proactively notifies you of security breaches. Password managers (Apple, Google, 1Password) will now flag compromised password (found in a large database), but https://haveibeenpwned.com will surface more security breaches by monitoring email addresses.
SBGoose wrote: I was on Lastpass but switched over to Bitwarden after LP implemented the one device policy for free accounts.
I recently switched to 1password as part of a family plan since 1PW is easier to digest for my family members in terms of interface and usability.

BW was great for what it is. It's free, safe, and I'm sure you can do a lot with it if you're a bit techier but I haven't looked into it.
However based on my experience with both, 1PW has been superior in terms of detection.
BW had trouble detecting my iOS apps and would rarely suggest a login (for example, logging into TD app, or starbucks). 1PW has been detecting everything and autofilling flawlessly.

So far, 1PW has been headache free, easy to set up, has an intuitive interface, and is a pleasure to use.
It's one of the rare cases in today's society where I feel like it the cost for a service is justified.
But that's just my experience at this moment in time. I'm sure I'll feel differently if/when I encounter an issue.

*Also neat that I can share my password temporarily via 1PW even to those who do not use 1PW. So now my shared netflix password doesn't have to be @bcd1234.
blackhat8287 wrote:
Wow we're basically in the same boat. And it's also basically dirt-cheap. Family plan is $4.95USD/month, but it's 50% off the first year. And you stack that with their $99 for $125 gift card and in your first year you're paying $2/month for 5 people. That's $0.40 USD/month per person, and for the insane convenience and the sharing functions and vaults updating across all your devices for all family members is just a godsend.

The time it took me to type this message out cost me more than $0.40, yet people here would rather pinch pennies and spend 3 hours to line up to save $5 off something when they don't realize that certain services are simply worth the time for 99% of people.
haranzo wrote: Is there anyway I can charge $70 for like 1 year subscription?

I want to cxl my card this year
pricegrabber wrote: 16% cashback on Great Canadian Rebates.
SBGoose wrote:
I think you should just take the comments as they are. I don't think anyone's trying to convince anyone to jump ship.
Just sharing positive / negative experiences with each platform and everybody's free to make their own judgement on how they spend their money.

Another thing with 1PW is that they have an authenticator built in.
I never noticed if BW supports that as well but with 1PW, when I hit login on any platform (mobile, browser, etc), it'll recognize the site and immediately put the authenticator code in your clipboard so you can paste immediately.
Overall, minor QoL improvements. Can't comment if BW has the same as I never knew they supported it until looking it up now.
Jet007 wrote: As someone who was looking for a password manager, I went and tried both Bit Warden and 1Password to see how their UX is as well as features. I fancy myself a pretty tech savvy guy and so I was heavily leaning towards BW as my choice as it is free and open sourced which does tick a few boxes for security concerns but the 1 thing that made me choose 1Password in the end was that I needed a family plan and as the person who gets voluntold to work on all tech related issues in the family (including the in-laws), 1Passwords UX environment is a lot more polished than BW, factor in that I will have to pay for BW as well if used in a family plan, you might as well go with the one that would give you less headaches when it comes to "tech support".

If you don't have these worries, then BW is the best choice but for my situation, 1Password fits the bill.
DeletedMemories wrote:
I bought 1password in the past but they lost me when they switched to this yearly thing. it is an good piece of software which works well but switched to Bitwarden and have been happy.
MatJimbo wrote:
I think it's billed all at once. It shows the monthly rate but says it's billed annually.

Can anyone else confirm?
Untitled.png
LDN2012 wrote:
It's billed annually if you select their annual plan. They just try to show you that the monthly rate is lower.
Yokoon wrote: no way to charge like 10 bucks hey? The yearly sub amounts to $65... I feel like they picked 70 bucks for a reason.
Yokoon wrote: NVM, realized the amount is USD
andyyuen wrote:
i did..

1. (rakuten already activated)
2. when i click on the amex link, it does show on the main page that it is $5.99cdn/month
3. login
4. add payment detail, it became like the screenshot below.. $4.99 per month.. and i dont know if that charge is in USD or CDN
PanchoVilla wrote:
Should be CAD because the URL has /ca at the end
MatJimbo wrote:
"Purchases made during the offer period prior to registration of your eligible Card in this program are not eligible purchases."

You need to enroll in the AMEX offer first and charge a total of $70 CAD during the offer period. It doesn't have to be Family to qualify as long as you hit the minimum spend. Gift cards excluded from promo.
adaniel wrote:

I have been using 1Password for about 10 years now, but mainly the business / team one. Let me try to answer your questions.
1. PRICING: Unless you see "CAD" on pricing, prices are quoted in USD (see screenshot, these are in CAD)
2. RENEWAL: If you go with the annual plan, you will be billed on anniversary date each year. Last time when Amex offered me this promo, it didn't coincide with my anniversary date so I tried to pre-pay, but wasn't able to. In the end I had to add team members to the account so it worked out. I guess one way you can still take advantage of this offer even if your anniversary date doesn't fall within the period is by adding a team member, and cancel the additional team member. By default in my experience 1Password will not refund the amount but will leave it as a credit in your account.
3. FEATURES: I like the way they enable me to manage team / family members using app or on browser. If I were a single user, I probably would not go with 1Password.

EDITED to add a possible work around on #2
milhaus wrote: I also can't figure out how to get them to bill me $70. An annual family plan, which is the most I can buy at the moment, appears to fall just short of the minimum spend.

I think one way to do it would be to enrol for one month, and then sign up for the annual plan, which would get you to $70 in two transactions. I don't think the offer requires the spend to be hit in one transaction?

Never mind! USD.
AdamKing wrote: No time machine, but they used to offer 1 yr all the time, without this $70 bs

January 2020
1password-password-manager-1password-fa ... l-2348785/

April 2020
1password-free-12-month-1password-famil ... d-2365896/

Given you have until April 2022 for this Amex deal, I'm going to hold out and see if there's anything better for Black Friday or an increased Rakuten.
hvc wrote:
But, it's..$75+12.5% CB - $70 right now. Not sure how much better it will be for black friday, but let's see..
flood4 wrote:
I use Bitwarden at my job and 1Password personally.

1Password is so much better in every aspect I can think of.
earlcookie wrote: When trying to get the 16% from GCR did anyone get sent to the 1password site for France? I just changed the url to ca instead of eu so hoping for the best
lhsonic wrote: Very tedious, a bit more difficult, and time consuming to maximize benefit for a single user but you can do so by charging Family subscription on monthly billing for three billing periods ($15.71USD). At the end of 3 months, charge full-year single user benefit ($37.67 USD). Start ASAP to complete before offer end date. Viola, 15 months of 1Password.

Or, just buy one single annual Family subscription for $62.84 USD.
lhsonic wrote:

I figured out the optimal way to take advantage of this offer for an individual users:
Purchase annual family plan for $59.85 USD + tax. This will trigger the $70 credit through American Express once the purchase is posted.
Switch to any other plan and the $59.85 is prorated and credited to the account. Since 1Password for one person is only $35.88, this deal would almost cover 2 entire years.
If you are a new subscriber, it's an amazing deal if you pair with a cash back offer between 25-50%. Not sure how it works for returning subscribers.

If using multiple cards, I just don't see how you could maximize this any further because the trick is to purchase a subscription as close to $70 as possible and that is the family plan on a single card.
lhsonic wrote:
Oh, I have no idea if I'm getting cash back as I am a returning subscriber. Cash back sites are hard to give a data point due to the number of variables (proper tracking, returning vs new customer. etc.)

I clicked through to 1Password from Rakuten.com and from the US website I selected a family plan. Once the transaction posted to my Scotiabank Amex, I got the $70 credit. Still waiting on the cash back on Rakuten US.

I don't see why someone using a cash back site who normally qualifies for cash back wouldn't get it just because they tried to use this offer. The transaction comes from the same place "1PASSWORD TORONTO ON" and that's probably all that's needed to trigger the credit once you've registered.
RockiestMountains wrote:
Okay, that is helpful. I think the concern people had (including me) is whether 1Password had a different US billing system than its Canadian billing system - ie: getting billed by Amazon.com for a US Amazon purchase on the US site won't trigger a Amazon.ca shopping offer on Amex. Seems that this isn't the case with 1 Password.
lhsonic wrote:

I was going to comment that I'm quite confident the billing system is the same because there is no "1password.ca." But... there is.

However, what I can tell you is that I definitely clicked through Rakuten.com, was directed to a .com site, and found that even if I logged in via 1password.ca, I am automatically redirected to 1password.com, likely because I have an existing account. I can also tell you that I was charged in USD and the billing appears as 1Password Toronto ON and I got the credit a few pays after the transaction posted. So if your concern is that if you don't use "1password.ca," I can tell you that's very unlikely to be a problem. I have a sense (based on the other comments) that even if you used 1password.ca, the billing is in USD because that's just what they prefer. Also, there is no requirement to click through from the specific Amex promo page because Amex offers are not affiliate-link based, they are based on credit card number registration.

And update on cash back: I just submitted a request and Rakuten instantly credited my account with what I think was 27.5% cash back. I guess they could still claw this back but I think the transaction was legit so I can probably dispute this later. So in total, my transaction was around $58 USD + tax and I got $16 USD back and of course a $70 CAD credit through Amex.

In final summary: After following my proration trick, I'll have a year's subscription + next year's subscription will be billed at approx. $15 which conveniently is what I got back in cash back.. so that's two full years for free through this offer. I'm satisfied.

I don't think that you can because of the way they do their billing. You must find a way to charge $70. If you have a significant amount of subscription time remaining, let it run to the very end of the promo and then charge the most expensive subscription you can find. Your remaining subscription will be prorated and credited. Balance between either getting the family plan or teams plan (which is the most expensive offering you can get) so that $70 gets charged. Then, revert to the single plan and everything will get prorated as a credit for next year.
boojew wrote: So you got the $70 even though your transaction amount was below the $70 mark? Or am I missing something? For me, it’s comes up to $68.88 (in Quebec)

Edit: I think I solved my question… your account must be in the US https://support.1password.com/regions/# ... our-region

Edit 2: anyone using 1password.ca is billed CAD .com is USD. The price for families in CAD per year is $72- so it qualifies. No hoops to jump through- unless you’re like me and would need to migrate. Oh and don’t forget Rakuten.ca
pkamto wrote: Got a question here. I noticed that for a new user, there's a 14 day trial before the card gets charged, so my card won't be charged if I sign up today while I have the rakuten cashback plugin active, right? How can I get the rakuten cashback in this case?
BengaliPrince wrote: Been using 1Password ever since I switched to iPhone last year. On iOS it's way better than LastPass.

pkamto wrote:
Is the Amex statement credit available to existing customers? Also, the promo requires you spending CAD $70
alishan9258 wrote: Wondering about the same thing. Has anyone gotten cashback after the 14 day trial?

Ok, a little late to the party, as we weren't planning on using this Amex Offer. However, it is a $70 discount which would cover almost 1 year of the Family Subscription.

Also, came across these links today and the Psst! feature of 1Password caught my eye:

"Toronto startup now worth $6.8B ..."

https://www.blogto.com/tech/2022/01/tor ... -password/

https://blog.1password.com/future-of-1password/

Over the past year alone, we:

Launched Psst!, a simple and secure way to share anything you have stored inside 1Password with anyone – even if they aren’t using 1Password yet.

https://blog.1password.com/psst-item-sharing/

#1 Is this Psst! automatically included via US or CAD single user/family plans?

#2 What's the difference (besides being charged USD vs CAD) in signing up via US site vs Canadian site?

#3 My plan is to sign up via GCR for 16% CB:

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/details/1Password/

and via GCR link with source=Great+Canadian+Rebates
https://1password.com/fr/sign-up/eu/

- switch location to Canada or US ... and hope that it still captures GCR click-through

#4 We don't necessarily need the Family Plan. @lhsonic your plan sounds good ... if I can get the Amex Credit quickly, GCR would just be gravy. Ok, first step = 14 Day trial for 1Password Families :)

Suggestions/insight from anyone for above (or other tips) would be greatly appreciated!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
Has anybody who used a cashback referral link received their Amazon credit?

Looking for some data points before I pull the trigger.
Jul 15, 2005
322 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
lhsonic wrote: I figured out the optimal way to take advantage of this offer for an individual users:
Purchase annual family plan for $59.85 USD + tax. This will trigger the $70 credit through American Express once the purchase is posted.
Switch to any other plan and the $59.85 is prorated and credited to the account. Since 1Password for one person is only $35.88, this deal would almost cover 2 entire years.
If you are a new subscriber, it's an amazing deal if you pair with a cash back offer between 25-50%. Not sure how it works for returning subscribers.

If using multiple cards, I just don't see how you could maximize this any further because the trick is to purchase a subscription as close to $70 as possible and that is the family plan on a single card.
Alright, so I'm gonna piggy back off this method. Unfortunately I'm late to the game and cashback is now only at 12.5% but I read that if you have a grandfathered plan from the full licensing days, they can provide a discount on giftcards (purchase $99 gift card worth $150 of credit). Has anyone tried emailing support to receive that discount?

So 12.5% rakuten, $70cad credit via Amex, Swap to Single user to bank the difference, and maybe get an extra $50 giftcard :D

https://1password.community/discussion/ ... ent_601917

scroll down to see this following text:
Thank you for supporting us all these years Hugging Face
As a license holder we know you’ve been supporting us for a long time. Many of you have been with us since the very beginning. We’ve been here for 15 years now and there’s no way we could have made it this far without you. 🥰

We’d like to thank you for supporting us all these years and provide a special trade-in discount for your license. Simply email us your license and enjoy 50% off your first 3 years.

That’s a great deal for those of you who prefer to pay-as-you-go (either monthly or yearly) but we recognize that some people would prefer to only pay when they explicitly authorize it.

If this sounds like you we set up a special deal where you can purchase a $99 gift card worth $150 of credit (only available on 1Password.com), allowing you to use 1Password for over 3 years. Once those 3+ years are up you can choose whether or not to pay again. No recurring or automatic payments will be taken and your data will always be available whether you renew or not.

To take advantage of either discount, simply email us your license and we’ll let you know how to proceed to start enjoying your new 1Password membership.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
@Proteinz, as reported by @pawcio on Oct 21st, 10:48 pm, 1Password GCs are processed through a Shopify store:

american-express-amex-1password-spend-l ... #p35141281

So, unfortunately, the online GC route via 1password.com/processed through Shopify will NOT trigger the Amex Statement Credit

If you can get 1Password Support to somehow charge your Amex without going through the Shopify store, and direct through 1password.com, that would be the best option.
Jul 15, 2005
322 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
mzmoney wrote: @Proteinz, as reported by @pawcio on Oct 21st, 10:48 pm, 1Password GCs are processed through a Shopify store:

american-express-amex-1password-spend-l ... #p35141281

So, unfortunately, the online GC route via 1password.com/processed through Shopify will NOT trigger the Amex Statement Credit

If you can get 1Password Support to somehow charge your Amex without going through the Shopify store, and direct through 1password.com, that would be the best option.
Oh thanks for the info! I was actually planning on going through the giftcard route after my amex credit is posted from the family plan, then switching to single user and contacting 1password about the discounted giftcards.

(I'm a big 1pw fan/user so I don't mind buying the GC after the fact)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
Proteinz wrote: Oh thanks for the info! I was actually planning on going through the giftcard route after my amex credit is posted from the family plan, then switching to single user and contacting 1password about the discounted giftcards.

(I'm a big 1pw fan/user so I don't mind buying the GC after the fact)
Ok perfect @Proteinz !

@lhsonic, did the conversion from family to single work for you, in extending your 12 month subscription?

1Password Support confirmed the following:

When you switch an account type from family to individual, a prorated credit is added to the account for the subscription difference. This credit stays in your account until the annual subscription invoice is processed again, and will be used towards the next subscription payment automatically.

It doesn't extend your billing cycle further beyond the 12 month annual period, but it does apply the prorated credit on the day of your next annual subscription charge.

Therefore, my understanding is that if one doesn't plan on renewing after 12 months, this conversion from family to single will not work in extending the existing 12 month subscription?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4349 posts
1588 upvotes
Vancouver
mzmoney wrote: Ok perfect @Proteinz !

@lhsonic, did the conversion from family to single work for you, in extending your 12 month subscription?

1Password Support confirmed the following:

When you switch an account type from family to individual, a prorated credit is added to the account for the subscription difference. This credit stays in your account until the annual subscription invoice is processed again, and will be used towards the next subscription payment automatically.

It doesn't extend your billing cycle further beyond the 12 month annual period, but it does apply the prorated credit on the day of your next annual subscription charge.

Therefore, my understanding is that if one doesn't plan on renewing after 12 months, this conversion from family to single will not work in extending the existing 12 month subscription?
Nothing is extended during the conversion. I purchased a 12-mo subscription on the family plan at ~$60 USD. If you convert the family plan to an individual plan right away, it basically generates something like $25 in credits that are saved until the next time you are due for renewal.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
2039 posts
1455 upvotes
Toronto
Noticed Rakuten is offering 25% cash back.
Apr 26, 2019
580 posts
748 upvotes
Does anyone know if this AMEX statement credit promo is a recurring thing? I missed it this time, and now I can't bring myself to pay regular price (even with Rakuten) Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
GordonGartrelle wrote: Does anyone know if this AMEX statement credit promo is a recurring thing? I missed it this time, and now I can't bring myself to pay regular price (even with Rakuten) Face With Tears Of Joy
Not sure if it will appear again this year or next. However, this one expires April 13th. No Amex currently ... or didn't receive the offer?
Apr 26, 2019
580 posts
748 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Not sure if it will appear again this year or next. However, this one expires April 13th. No Amex currently ... or didn't receive the offer?
Thanks - sadly I got the offer on my Cobalt but not on my Simply, and I've since closed my Cobalt.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
GordonGartrelle wrote: Thanks - sadly I got the offer on my Cobalt but not on my Simply, and I've since closed my Cobalt.
Hmm, could have signed up before cancelling your Cobalt? We're still debating about using this Offer for the single or family sub ... since we probably won't renew after the almost complimentary year is up.
Apr 9, 2019
183 posts
101 upvotes
So Individual goes for 47 annually. Family only gets monthly. How can I spend 70 with 1Password?
Apr 26, 2019
580 posts
748 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Hmm, could have signed up before cancelling your Cobalt? We're still debating about using this Offer for the single or family sub ... since we probably won't renew after the almost complimentary year is up.
Yeah, it was one of those things where at the time I never thought I would really need it, and six months later here we are.

I'll use it for passwords too, but I mostly want it for 2FA. I've struggled to find a good free 2FA app that pushes approval to the apple watch and I've read that 1Password works well. If anyone reads this and has any opinions on the 2FA I'd love to hear them!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
Strange, this Amex Offer (registered and unused) has disappeared from both of our Offers List.

Anyone else registered/unredeemed ... and offer has disappeared, even though expiry is April 13th?