Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex Business Gold 60k membership rewards welcome bonus - highest ever

[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie

[American Express] Amex Business Gold 60k membership rewards welcome bonus - highest ever

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this offer, only discussion buried in other threads.

As an alternative to the business platinum (thread here: american-express-amex-business-platinum ... l-2460471/)
There's also a record high welcome bonus on the Amex Business Gold card. The public offer is 50k after spending $5k in 3 months, or 60k if referred by a current business platinum or gold card holder.

The platinum offer requires 10k spend, which is challenging for many, so the gold card may be a better option.

For those not familiar with membership rewards, they're flexible reward points that can be used for statement credits, travel through American Express travel, or they can be transferred to a number of frequent traveller programs such as Aeroplan, Avios, Marriott Bonvoy, etc. Sure, we can't travel right now but travel will return, and this is a great time to be building your points balance for when it does return! And, this is a great offer to get a significant amount of points in a single bonus.

Despite not being able to use some the travel perks these cards carry, Amex has done a great job of providing value on their cards during the pandemic through statement credit offers and bonuses. I got more value out of my business platinum over the last year than I paid in annual fees.
Amex Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Bonvoy, Aeroplan
44 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15813 posts
4563 upvotes
Scarberia
how much annual fees? and its 2x points on ALL purchases?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
mikka2017 wrote: how much annual fees? and its 2x points on ALL purchases?
$250 annual fee, and earns 1x per dollar with the exception of 3 suppliers (you can select 3 annually from a list) at which you would earn 2x per dollar.
Apr 15, 2007
257 posts
47 upvotes
Thornhill
Speaking as a Gold cardholder for many years it's been a while since Amex has offered additional MR points on the Biz gold. So this is a good deal.

Amex's business must be hurting from the lack of travel spend due to the pandemic.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4114 posts
437 upvotes
The big advantage to this card, is with Plastiq, you get double the points. The problem is, Plastiq recently increased their fees. It works for hitting the minimum spend and accruing some additional points. With Plastiq you can pay taxes, rent, etc. Its a pretty annoying process to get them to approve the vendor if its not off the shelf, but it works.

In my opinion, I would get the biz plat, if you can pass the $10k hurdle. [removed]
Last edited by Sanforized on May 5th, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not allowed
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
CatDog wrote: The big advantage to this card, is with Plastiq, you get double the points. The problem is, Plastiq recently increased their fees. It works for hitting the minimum spend and accruing some additional points. With Plastiq you can pay taxes, rent, etc. Its a pretty annoying process to get them to approve the vendor if its not off the shelf, but it works.

In my opinion, I would get the biz plat, if you can pass the $10k hurdle. [removed]
The real value of the platinum is the travel perks, which right now aren't existent (though as I mentioned they've provided value in other ways during the pandemic). If you anticipate travel within a year, then yes the platinum is the clear winner. I've been travelling on points for about 10 years, and have found the platinum benefits to be very worthwhile which is why I always hold a platinum card. It's really amazing what you can pull off with points - places that most only dream of, such as Maldives or Bora Bora can be done for a fraction of the cost using points.

Happy to help anyone with questions regarding points travel and using these cards.
Last edited by Sanforized on May 6th, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The post you are quoting has been edited
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14035 posts
4006 upvotes
GTA
tylerc wrote: The real value of the platinum is the travel perks, which right now aren't existent (though as I mentioned they've provided value in other ways during the pandemic). If you anticipate travel within a year, then yes the platinum is the clear winner. I've been travelling on points for about 10 years, and have found the platinum benefits to be very worthwhile which is why I always hold a platinum card. It's really amazing what you can pull off with points - places that most only dream of, such as Maldives or Bora Bora can be done for a fraction of the cost using points.

Happy to help anyone with questions regarding points travel and using these cards.
This is a big appeal as stuff like priority pass is great if you travel but also the Biz Plat is better for anyone who is going to have a P2 (spouse etc.) or other friends and family that they can refer to get the maximum bonus each time.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4114 posts
437 upvotes
But this isn't a platinum thread, it's gold biz. With Gold Biz the big value is the double point plastiq offer. The plat benefits are much better, which we all know.
Apr 24, 2021
2 posts
Sorry I know this is a gold thread but re: the business platinum (or even the gold) are the perks the same? I see the business platinum is only $499 and offering 70k points, which is better than the personal card. TIA.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1021 posts
553 upvotes
Midland
ugh wish I could get this card again and Churn.
Dec 1, 2003
528 posts
161 upvotes
Ottawa
Caution: Their TOS on most of their cc (if not all) states that you will get approved but you may not get points if you had this card previously.
Jun 12, 2014
90 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
crow wrote: Caution: Their TOS on most of their cc (if not all) states that you will get approved but you may not get points if you had this card previously.
I thought the restriction is only on their person CC not business.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
crow wrote: Caution: Their TOS on most of their cc (if not all) states that you will get approved but you may not get points if you had this card previously.
I'm not sure if that is listed for business or not, but in reality they generally don't enforce it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
Energie11 wrote: ugh wish I could get this card again and Churn.
Do you currently hold it?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1750 posts
1332 upvotes
AMEX has increased their anti-gaming presence in Canada, so word of caution for anyone looking to AMEX train / churn this repeatedly.

You can see many examples of people who had their MR liquidated last year (especially with AMEX Plat).

That being said, I never held the Biz Gold... but also just had a bunch of large spend, ugh. Not sure I want to Plastiq another card... rather organically hit MSR.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
sports1 wrote: AMEX has increased their anti-gaming presence in Canada, so word of caution for anyone looking to AMEX train / churn this repeatedly.

You can see many examples of people who had their MR liquidated last year (especially with AMEX Plat).

That being said, I never held the Biz Gold... but also just had a bunch of large spend, ugh. Not sure I want to Plastiq another card... rather organically hit MSR.
True - it's not clear how long the offer will be around though. If I can't make spend organically I often prepay utilities, property tax, cell phone, etc....and then take a holiday from paying them for a long time!
May 3, 2020
133 posts
49 upvotes
How much is the referral bonus?
Does it impact personal credit?
So, net $1200 + rewards for $250 fee?
Meeting the MSR is the biggest challenge I guess?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
Energie11 wrote: Haven’t held it for two years
Probably safe...always a risk though with recent crackdowns. I've held it a few times with no issues, as recently as last year. Currently have the platinum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1716 posts
299 upvotes
Barrie
johnsena wrote: How much is the referral bonus?
Does it impact personal credit?
So, net $1200 + rewards for $250 fee?
Meeting the MSR is the biggest challenge I guess?
The referral bonus seems to vary by referring card and the individual - it's not the same for everyone now it seems.
Re: personal credit, I think each situation is unique - my experience is a very small hit for applying, if any, and always bounces back within a few months.
I would say $1200 is a fair valuation if transferred to Aeroplan, depending on use. I often get more than 2c value per point.