Expired Hot Deals

American Express

Amex Cobalt - 45,000 MR-S + $120 GCR

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2021 12:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 24, 2016
36 posts
78 upvotes

[American Express] Amex Cobalt - 45,000 MR-S + $120 GCR

I've been watching the GCR for the AMEX Cobalt since the 45,000 bonus points offer from AMEX will be available until mid May.

Some quick math:

2,500 MR per each month with > $500 spent
15,000 MR for $3,000 total spend in first 3 months

This means:
15,000 + 12 * 2,500 = 45,000

If you include a minimum spend of $3000 + 9 x $500 = $7,500 you end up with:
45,000 Bonus Points + $7,500 ( 1MR/$ ~ 5MR/$ ) a minimum of 52,500 points or up to 82,500 points.

With fixed mile redemption, you can get up to 1.5 cpp conservatively, which means you are looking at a range of $525 ~ $1237 in value after the GCR and Annual Fee [ +$120 + (-$120) ]

Edit: Math since GCR is now a generous $120!
Last edited by SpendingToSave97 on Feb 19th, 2021 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2329 posts
935 upvotes
Is this $100 rebate new as of today?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 3, 2006
5146 posts
2383 upvotes
Winnipeg
Seks wrote: Is this $100 rebate new as of today?
Yesterday. It was bumped from $40 to $100. The 45,000 points bump is new for the New Year.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 3, 2006
5146 posts
2383 upvotes
Winnipeg
SpendingToSave97 wrote: Ahh, good find. My apologies.

Please close thread.
No, no, this still belongs here. That is sub-forum ongoing discussion about the card and whatnot.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2044 posts
500 upvotes
This deal looks really good. Trying to calculate how it fits into my current life situation lol

I'm assuming this hasn't changed but if I can't hit the monthly $500, can I top up by buying gift cards? Say, Amazon, or even grocery store cards like Fresh Co or Sobey's gift cards?
Member
May 22, 2014
476 posts
346 upvotes
i've been using a bmo world elite for years.. i have so many credit cards that I don't use but would this be a good daily?
i don't have any AMEX.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 24, 2016
36 posts
78 upvotes
Chocolinx wrote: This deal looks really good. Trying to calculate how it fits into my current life situation lol

I'm assuming this hasn't changed but if I can't hit the monthly $500, can I top up by buying gift cards? Say, Amazon, or even grocery store cards like Fresh Co or Sobey's gift cards?
Yeah, I definitely agree with that. You should be able to purchase some gas cards/amazon/grocery cards without too much trouble. You can also move your phone bill payments onto it. For online payments that don't take AMEX but take Paypal, you can just put your AMEX as the card for Paypal and get around it that way.

My strategy will probably be to just get some gas station cards equivalent to monthly spend, put the internet & phone bills, and then just groceries at Whole Foods / Longos / Food Basics / Loblaws, etc.

I think what you want to strictly avoid is prepaid VISA/MC/AMEX since it's basically cash equivalent.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 24, 2016
36 posts
78 upvotes
dogdayafter12 wrote: [email protected]×# Just received card last week with $40 from Gcr. Knew I should have waited.
Haha, yeah I was thinking of opening the card last week but I just watched GCR day-to-day since their offers randomly change.
davidqbp wrote: i've been using a bmo world elite for years.. i have so many credit cards that I don't use but would this be a good daily?
i don't have any AMEX.
I think it ultimately depends where you spend your money. Situation differs of course and the reasons that you have certain credit cards. I think Cobalt is good because it's 5% groceries and the redemptions are decent. Plus being able to change MR-S points to Mariott Bonvoy at 1:1.2 is pretty good. If you're into the hotel chain, you can get two nights and then there are other bonuses that stack up. I think it's truly up to you as an individual the utility of it being a daily. If you shop at Costco frequently, I would say definitely not because you wouldn't really be able to use it that way. It's not especially great for paying subscription costs or anything either.

This card is good if you spend frequently at places that accept them: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-CA/m ... ch-ju20-en and you want to redeem for travel!
Member
Feb 12, 2011
326 posts
507 upvotes
Ottawa
I applied yesterday using Brave but forgot to turn the shields down for it. What are the odds it blocked the referral and I'll have to manually file for missing rebate?
Jr. Member
Apr 20, 2006
136 posts
106 upvotes
Damn! I applied when it was only $40 referral.....
Member
Nov 24, 2019
434 posts
516 upvotes
Saskatoon
mzmoney wrote: GCR Cobalt Cash Back Boost up to $120 from $100 (on Wed Feb 10th) ... not sure for how long!

See here for most recent post today, Thu Feb 18th, 2:01 pm for screenshots and more on other AMEX CB Boosts:

great-canadian-rebates-gcr-2021-cc-cash ... h-2435782/
Son of a *****. Was going to wait until the end of April to apply for this as I don't need it yet and my spending is usually higher in the summer, but I don't really want to lose out if the GCR goes back down to $40... Might have to jump on this
Banned
User avatar
Aug 28, 2013
780 posts
513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SpendingToSave97 wrote: I've been watching the GCR for the AMEX Cobalt since the 45,000 bonus points offer from AMEX will be available until mid May.

Some quick math:

2,500 MR per each month with > $500 spent
15,000 MR for $3,000 total spend in first 3 months

This means:
15,000 + 12 * 2,500 = 45,000

If you include a minimum spend of $3000 + 9 x $500 = $7,500 you end up with:
45,000 Bonus Points + $7,500 ( 1MR/$ ~ 5MR/$ ) a minimum of 52,500 points or up to 82,500 points.

With fixed mile redemption, you can get up to 1.5 cpp conservatively, which means you are looking at a range of $505 ~ $1217 in value after the GCR and Annual Fee [ +$100 + (-$120) ]
Just curious what can the points be used for? Can I use it towards cashback in paying back bills?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)