• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2021 2:18 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
452 posts
885 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[American Express] Amex Cobalt - 45,000 MR-S - All time high! +$40 GCR

Amex is offering 45k MR-S on the Cobalt card, previous high was 40k.

The bonus breakdown is 15k for spending $3000 in the first three months and the usual 2500/month for spending $500 each month.

If you manage to spend the $500/month on groceries/restaurants/food you get the 5x multiplier so 5000 point/month and a total of 75,000 MR-S!

No annual fee, instead there is a monthly fee of $10. $40 back through GCR.

MR-S can be redeemed for $0.01 each when redeeming as statement credit against travel. They can also be transferred to Marriot Bonvoy and then further transferred to several frequent flyer programs including Aeroplan.
72 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14445 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga
I just got this card a few months ago, what is GCR ?

I wish Amex was as universally accepted as VISA/MC.
Maybe Costco will go back to Amex when their contract with Cap1 ends next year.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1820 posts
10353 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote: I just got this card a few months ago, what is GCR ?

I wish Amex was as universally accepted as VISA/MC.
Maybe Costco will go back to Amex when their contract with Cap1 ends next year.
GCR = Great C(a)nadian Rebates (I believe RFD censors as they are a competitor in some aspects). You click through to the application via GCR, they make a referral commission from Amex and pass a portion ($40) back to you in 3-4 months after approval.

Amex's acceptance has jumped leaps & bounds even just while I've held my cards in the last few years. The only shops that don't accept Amex that I can think of immediately are Costco and Loblaws grocery.

Amex Cobalt's biggest perk is the 5x MR-S (5% cash back equivalent) on Grocery - meaning you can buy any gift card on the rack at Safeway/Sobeys/Any other Grocer that accepts Amex, and get 5% back on that GC purchase.

I've held my Amex Cobalt past the initial year because I still get so much value out of the Dining/Grocery multiplier.
Feb 8, 2007
507 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I assume they're still denying the bonus points for previous Cobalt cardholders, regardless of when the previous account was open / closed? Would love to get this card again, but don't think I'll be able to take advantage of the 45K bonus points.

From their terms:
"Up to 30,000 Welcome Bonus – This offer is only available to new American Express Cobalt Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Cobalt Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Membership Rewards points offers available in the first 12 months of Card Membership. Offer subject to change."

Any former cardholders have any luck with scoring the bonus points?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5692 posts
2917 upvotes
Winnipeg
See if I can do the math...
so 45k points ~ 450$ + 40$ - 120$ fee = 370$ net after 12 months.
if 75K then 670$ net?

Edit: I don't get it how someone can earn 75K just with minimum spend.
Last edited by Wpegger on Jan 14th, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2228 posts
1369 upvotes
North Vancouver
From https://princeoftravel.com/blog/the-bes ... lt-points/

Redeeming against travel purchases (Pay with Points) at 1 cent per point (cpp)

Redeeming for flights via Amex Fixed Points Travel at 1.5–2cpp

Transferring points to Marriott Bonvoy at a 1:1.2 ratio
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Apr 28, 2014
240 posts
110 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Wpegger wrote: See if I can do the math...
so 45k points ~ 450$ + 40$ - 120$ fee = 370$ net after 12 months.
if 75K then 670$ net?

Edit: I don't get it how someone can earn 75K just with minimum spend.
Minimum spend is $500 per month, $6000 per year. If all $6000 is spent at the 5x multiplier, the regular earn is 30,000points. Plus the monthly bonuses (total 30,000) and the 15,000 three-month MSR bonus, total is 75,000.

You're right that the net would be ~$670 (if the points were just used for statement credit, potentially much higher if used otherwise). That's not bad on a $6000 spend. I have never held this card in part because my grocery and restaurant spending isn't particularly high, and also in part because the monthly MSR seems like a hassle. I may now, though.
Aug 20, 2018
170 posts
106 upvotes
How likely is it that the GCR rebate will increase, before the end of this promo, from the current $40? Debating if I should apply now, or wait a bit in case it goes up (I think it was $100 at one point?)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14740 posts
27771 upvotes
Scarborough
Leverage wrote: GCR = Great C(a)nadian Rebates (I believe RFD censors as they are a competitor in some aspects). You click through to the application via GCR, they make a referral commission from Amex and pass a portion ($40) back to you in 3-4 months after approval.
GCR hasn't been censored since 2015. Anyone is welcomed to discuss them here.

I signed up for my Cobalt back in November so my offer was only 30k BUT I did get $100 from GCR so at least I got a better offer on that side of things.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Oct 24, 2009
873 posts
1217 upvotes
Vancouver
thebigkielbasa wrote: How likely is it that the GCR rebate will increase, before the end of this promo, from the current $40? Debating if I should apply now, or wait a bit in case it goes up (I think it was $100 at one point?)
I would say very high. I think $40 is the lowest I've seen so definitely will go up at some stage. Since the promo is running til early May, I would say hold on until it's up (probably $70+). It did go up to $100 few times last year.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2629 posts
536 upvotes
Have had this card for a few years now, use to transfer to Marriott then transfer to Aeroplan but now I realize the best redemption is just on travel to get 1 cent per point rather than go through so much effort and have flyer/hotel points banked and unused for a little extra value...
Apr 13, 2004
289 posts
195 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
Not sure this is a great deal seeing as using the travel rewards will be difficult with all the travel restrictions in place.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
452 posts
885 upvotes
Calgary, AB
::2dFx:: wrote: Not sure this is a great deal seeing as using the travel rewards will be difficult with all the travel restrictions in place.
It will take at least a year to accumulate the full bonus and the points can be redeemed for local travel as well...
Jun 3, 2007
655 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
asbraich wrote: Amex is offering 45k MR-S on the Cobalt card, previous high was 40k.

The bonus breakdown is 15k for spending $3000 in the first three months and the usual 2500/month for spending $500 each month.

If you manage to spend the $500/month on groceries/restaurants/food you get the 5x multiplier so 5000 point/month and a total of 75,000 MR-S!

No annual fee, instead there is a monthly fee of $10. $40 back through GCR.

MR-S can be redeemed for $0.01 each when redeeming as statement credit against travel. They can also be transferred to Marriot Bonvoy and then further transferred to several frequent flyer programs including Aeroplan.
I didn't realise you could transfer the points to Aeroplan, I just recently received the new American Express aeroplan card, I still have a few months to go to use that to gain all my points. I already have a gold card and the new Aeroplan card, I wonder if they will say no if I apply for 3rd American Express card?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2860 posts
2429 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What if I am currently having Cobalt as secondary card holder?
Will I able to get this bonus offer?
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Aug 14, 2012
338 posts
277 upvotes
North Vancouver
denhammer wrote: I didn't realise you could transfer the points to Aeroplan, I just recently received the new American Express aeroplan card, I still have a few months to go to use that to gain all my points. I already have a gold card and the new Aeroplan card, I wonder if they will say no if I apply for 3rd American Express card?
You can't transfer directly, but transfer to Marriott then to Aeroplan from Marriott. 1 MR-S point ends up converting to 0.50 aeroplan via this route if you transfer in blocks of 50,000 MR-S. You're better off getting an Aeroplan card to earn Aeroplan points unless you have big AMEX grocery/restaurant spend which would yield 2.5 aeroplan points per $1 of spend via the above method.
Aug 5, 2018
61 posts
234 upvotes
For anyone considering converting MR-S into Marriot points (and perhaps Aeroplan after), note that there was a bonus multiplier back in September. Who knows if or when another one could happen, but it could be worth stockpiling your MR-S if you don't plan on cancelling the card immediately and don't need the Marriot (or subsequent Aeroplan) soon.
Sep 27, 2008
838 posts
650 upvotes
Deals Deals Deals wrote: Have had this card for a few years now, use to transfer to Marriott then transfer to Aeroplan but now I realize the best redemption is just on travel to get 1 cent per point rather than go through so much effort and have flyer/hotel points banked and unused for a little extra value...
I also have had this card for a few years and I find the best redemption to be for flights. As in using Amex travel for flights within Canada. Toronto to Vancouver is 40000 points (400) + taxes/fees. Which often ends up being $100-$150 for a flight that might be $600+.
May 28, 2020
76 posts
118 upvotes
Do you get a hit on credit score if you apply for a new card from the same company?
As in, I already have an Amex cash back card, will I get a new score reduction if they check the credit bureau again?
Apr 8, 2003
334 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
I've had this card for a couple of years now and in the past, I was able to get the full 5% value of the points by redeeming it against Uber which counted as "Travel" category but now it is no longer the case. Does any current cardholder have any tips on some easy transactions that registers as travel category so I can redeem the full 5%? Travel is hard right now and rest of this year so looking for better way to redeem.