Amex Cobalt 50000 point sign-up bonus

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2022 8:15 pm
[OP]
Aug 9, 2009
141 posts
456 upvotes

[American Express] Amex Cobalt 50000 point sign-up bonus

Amex is offering a pretty sweet sign-up bonus for the Amex Cobalt card. 50000 points for signing up (2500 for each month with $500 in spending and 20000 when you spend $3000 in the first 3 months).

They have just changed the redemption of Cobalt MR points to 1:1 with Aeroplan so it's a pretty good deal if you collect Aeroplan points considering groceries and restaurants collect at 5 points per $ spent.

Only downside is the $12.99 fee per month but I find this can usually be offset by Amex offers.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... lsrc=aw.ds
296 replies
Jun 9, 2011
406 posts
245 upvotes
Vancouver
$130 through GCR as well

Edit: Rebate increased from $120
Last edited by agentzero on Feb 22nd, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 27, 2019
90 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Aww man, I just applied for the card yesterday because of the monthly fee increase that was starting today. The extra 20,000 point welcome bonus would easily even out the price increase.
Feb 13, 2012
336 posts
282 upvotes
Greater Sudbury
BigFurCoat wrote: Aww man, I just applied for the card yesterday because of the monthly fee increase that was starting today. The extra 20,000 point welcome bonus would easily even out the price increase.
Call them and ask if they can apply the points couldn't hurt to ask
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2750 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
BigFurCoat wrote: Aww man, I just applied for the card yesterday because of the monthly fee increase that was starting today. The extra 20,000 point welcome bonus would easily even out the price increase.
Ahh I didn't know they didn't have the 20k point welcome bonus before.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
2173 posts
1060 upvotes
The fact that they changed Cobalt MR points to be 1:1 with Aeroplan is huge. If you banked Cobalt MR points this entire time, this effectively doubles your points value!!! I'm one of those suckers that transferred mine out to Marriott points using the 30% bonus transfer.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2750 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
From a value perspective, is this currently the best credit card out there?
Feb 27, 2019
90 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lpsaad wrote: From a value perspective, is this currently the best credit card out there?
Depends what you spend on usually, but for a good amount of people it would be. Food & groceries is 5x and streaming is 3x, which is more or less all the usual expenses that someone like me would have. The points also transfer to airline partners (like Aeroplan) now which means you're getting a lot of value. And being able to have all the protections and bonuses of Amex is a huge plus.

In my opinion, it's certainly better than other offers out there in the market currently, but that's just from my spending habits and what I'm looking for in terms of value. Some people like cashback more and others like flexibility in points.
Dec 25, 2007
679 posts
658 upvotes
Vancouver
lpsaad wrote: From a value perspective, is this currently the best credit card out there?
It is to me. I do a lot of .... grocery store shopping.
May 2, 2020
315 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
agentzero wrote: $120 through GCR as well
Does that GCR rebate really stack with the current offer?
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape
Apr 5, 2009
590 posts
1186 upvotes
Vancouver
Amex runs a lot of "get X credit back for spending Y at this store," so over time you might be able to make your monthly fee back too, so you might not even pay anything out of pocket.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3223 posts
871 upvotes
Alberta
Azmosis30 wrote: Does that GCR rebate really stack with the current offer?
When you click through GCR, it takes you to a landing page saying 50,000 pts. So YMMV, but probably
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1030 posts
1813 upvotes
richmond hill
I don’t hustle the credit card market often but I’ve had the Scotia American Express gold card for years and love it. Noticed it’s also at 50k entry points. Great card for travellers and still offers the similar points this does. Scotia deals with it so any issues you can just go into a local branch which I find convenient

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

Edit: sorry noticed the 12.99 annual fee which is amazing. Making me think twice about mine now… I’ll keep this up there just incase someone is interested
Jul 31, 2012
599 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
louis77 wrote: I don’t hustle the credit card market often but I’ve had the Scotia American Express gold card for years and love it. Noticed it’s also at 50k entry points. Great card for travellers and still offers the similar points this does. Scotia deals with it so any issues you can just go into a local branch which I find convenient

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

Edit: sorry noticed the 12.99 annual fee which is amazing. Making me think twice about mine now… I’ll keep this up there just incase someone is interested
$12.99 a MONTH. Scotia cannot be transferred to Aeroplan though
Dec 10, 2006
836 posts
322 upvotes
Mississauga
If you spend $500 a month on groceries or dining, then yes. But if your goal is to transfer to Aeroplan, there are easier ways of getting 50k AP using other credit cards (TD, Cibc). But this is a nice card to supplement your daily spending if you already own the TD and cibc cards
Jan 15, 2019
127 posts
296 upvotes
I am already an owner and I recommend this card if you do a lot of groceries. Also, it works with Uber Eats, Instacart, Cornershop, etc., if you're a user of these services, it's great for accumulating points. I'm glad they made it easier to transfer to Aeroplan, previously you had to juggle to Marriot points then Aeroplan and it ended up being not 1:1. They also made it so a cellphone bought with the card is fully insured, which is nice.

I think this card is one of the top 5 in Canada and this sign up offer should make it a no brainer.
Mar 5, 2020
126 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I’ve had this card for the past year and it’s easily my favourite. As someone that eats out a lot, the 5x multiplier for restaurants and groceries adds up quickly. I also love the AMEX offers and purchase protection. I damaged one of my AirPods, and they issued me a cheque covering the price I paid for the entire set!

Only downside is a lot of places not taking AMEX, but I have my Simplii Cash Back Visa (4% cash back at restaurants) as backup.
If it's free it's for me!

Save money, live better!
Apr 4, 2021
201 posts
392 upvotes
Victoria, BC
ahbitheman wrote: I'm one of those suckers that transferred mine out to Marriott points using the 30% bonus transfer.
so am i. i'm pretty p!$$ed off. oh well, at least now i have a boat load of bonvoy points, almost 600k.

i find the cobalt to be extremely good for me. i always pay for my groceries on it. i also buy gift cards at the grocery store so i get 5 AP points/$ at gas stations, home hardware, home depot, amazon.ca, etc. it adds up quickly.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4318 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
ahbitheman wrote: I'm one of those suckers that transferred mine out to Marriott points using the 30% bonus transfer.
I did the same but I’m not entirely upset as it’s much easier to rack up AP and very hard to rack up Bonvoy in Canada.
Oct 3, 2017
62 posts
45 upvotes
jokerswild1 wrote: Call them and ask if they can apply the points couldn't hurt to ask
I'm in the same boat. Just called and the agent wouldn't budge... Sigh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)