Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex MR 25% Bonus for Transferring to BonVoy (includes Cobalt)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 8:03 pm
[OP]
Member
Jan 21, 2007
338 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto

[American Express] Amex MR 25% Bonus for Transferring to BonVoy (includes Cobalt)

Deal Link:
Savings:
25%
Expiry:
September 30, 2020
Retailer:
American Express
More offers from American Express
Transfer your Amex MR for a 25% bonus when transferring to BonVoy, so 1 pt = 1.5 BonVoy

Sucks for those of us who have transferred points in case our accounts were closed (including me - 54K last week)

Per Amex:
Far and wide just got closer
Get 25% more Marriott Bonvoy™* points when
you transfer your Membership Rewards® points to
Marriott Bonvoy until September 30, 2020.
*Conditions apply
Last edited by lovethesales on Sep 1st, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1598 posts
864 upvotes
Some sites value the points for hotel bookings at 1.17 cents per point, but when I look at the redemptions, most hotels cost just too many points. I would have a hard time justifying spending the points equivalent of $200 a night on a hotel, but I am rather frugal.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1544 posts
1590 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Works with mr-s points (cobalt) too. Just did the transfer.

Thanks so much OP.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1980 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
If you're using the points to book anything other than the 4 nights + 1 free, you're doing it wrong.
[OP]
Member
Jan 21, 2007
338 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
solo. wrote: If you're using the points to book anything other than the 4 nights + 1 free, you're doing it wrong.
We did 5 nights at the W Maldives. It was spectacular!

dotsandpixels wrote: Works with mr-s points (cobalt) too. Just did the transfer.

Thanks so much OP.
I thought only the Cobalt (only MR card I have). Updated the title!
Diafel wrote: Some sites value the points for hotel bookings at 1.17 cents per point, but when I look at the redemptions, most hotels cost just too many points. I would have a hard time justifying spending the points equivalent of $200 a night on a hotel, but I am rather frugal.
New Years Eve is a great redemption value. We usually travel over this time so we value the points accordingly.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1266 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Perfect timing to transfer out those colbalt points.
I'd save platinum points for AP/BA tho.
Newbie
Aug 29, 2016
85 posts
101 upvotes
North York, ON
This might sound like a random question, but for people who got cobalt amex, are there chance to transfer the MR points to travel uses? or is it plain impossible unless you get platinum or gold?
Newbie
Oct 15, 2019
19 posts
30 upvotes
utmosteffor wrote: This might sound like a random question, but for people who got cobalt amex, are there chance to transfer the MR points to travel uses? or is it plain impossible unless you get platinum or gold?
you can transfer cobalt's MR points to Marriott Bonvoy then from Bonvoy to almost any airline FFP.
MR to Bonvoy is 5:6 so 50,000 MR = 60,000 Bonvoy.

Then when you transfer 60k Bonvoy to an airline, Aeroplan for example, they throw in an extra 15,000 so for 75k you get 25,000 Aeroplan. I seem to recall that There's even a better bonus for United. You can transfer to many different airlines.

I max out my $35k limit of the 5x category per membership year. that's 175k MR which is 210k Bonvoy. Enough for quite a few nights at fairly good hotels.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2156 posts
668 upvotes
Burnaby
Diafel wrote: Some sites value the points for hotel bookings at 1.17 cents per point, but when I look at the redemptions, most hotels cost just too many points. I would have a hard time justifying spending the points equivalent of $200 a night on a hotel, but I am rather frugal.
Realistically more like 0.7-0.8 cents per point. One of the sweet spots is 4 nights on points get 5th night free
Jr. Member
Dec 26, 2010
134 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
For those with a Marriott Bonvoy Amex, and have a free night certificate (after 1 year) - are you able to use this in conjunction with the 5th night free promotion? I.e., 3 nights paid with points, 1 night certificate, 1 night free?
Jr. Member
Aug 24, 2019
142 posts
106 upvotes
jasonarroyo wrote: For those with a Marriott Bonvoy Amex, and have a free night certificate (after 1 year) - are you able to use this in conjunction with the 5th night free promotion? I.e., 3 nights paid with points, 1 night certificate, 1 night free?
You should be able to. Just called customer service at Marriott Bon boy
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2016
161 posts
74 upvotes
Is this better than using the point on fixed travel for amex?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1045 posts
271 upvotes
How do people compare this deal to transferring points to Aeroplan at 1:1? I've never traded my Amex points for hotel points before, just airline.
Newbie
Dec 28, 2018
16 posts
68 upvotes
EDIT: Was corrected on my calculations later in the thread!

In case it helps anyone, I ran some numbers on converting MR/MR Select to Aeroplan via Bonvoy:

100,000 Amex = 150,000 Bonvoy (2 MR = 3 convoy)
150,000 Bonvoy = 50,000 Aeroplan
+ 10,000 Bonus = 60,000 Aeroplan (5,000 bonus for transferring 60k)

Total: 100K Amex MR = 60,000 Aeroplan
Last edited by spielo on Sep 2nd, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top