Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex MR 25% Bonus for Transferring to BonVoy (includes Cobalt)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 8:03 pm
Member
Mar 30, 2007
393 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
spielo wrote: In case it helps anyone, I ran some numbers on converting MR/MR Select to Aeroplan via Bonvoy:

100,000 Amex = 150,000 Bonvoy (2 MR = 3 convoy)
+ 25% = 187,500
187,500 Bonvoy = 62,500 Aeroplan
+ 15,000 Bonus = 77,500 Aeroplan (5,000 bonus for transferring 60k)

Total: 100K Amex MR = 77,500 Aeroplan
Think you are mistaken here. You normally get 1.2 MBV for every 1 MR-S. With the current offer of 25% bonus you are getting 1.5 MBV for every 1 MR-S. So from your example 100k MR-S will fetch you 150k MBV and not 187.5K MBV as you have listed.
Member
User avatar
Aug 22, 2011
320 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver
solo. wrote: If you're using the points to book anything other than the 4 nights + 1 free, you're doing it wrong.
For those wondering how many points you approximately need. Five nights at a Category 5 property would cost you 35,000 × 4 = 140,000 Bonvoy points, while five nights at a Category 7 property would cost you 60,000 × 4 = 240,000 Bonvoy points.
Newbie
Dec 28, 2018
16 posts
68 upvotes
Oh, you're right!! Thanks for that. I've edited my previous post to correct the error.
Last edited by spielo on Sep 2nd, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8675 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
solo. wrote: If you're using the points to book anything other than the 4 nights + 1 free, you're doing it wrong.
You're doing it wrong, for assuming everyone can or should stay for 5 nights at each place each time.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1980 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote: You're doing it wrong, for assuming everyone can or should stay for 5 nights at each place each time.
This thread is about whether it is worth it to transfer MR to Bonvoy and the answer is YES if you are maximizing the value of those points by staying those 5 nights (for 4 nights cost). Of course there's the exception of people wanting to top off their points to get a night. But for most folks, if you're staying for 4 days or less, it is definitely much better value to use MR points for fixed points travel along with a discount code.

So you are definitely not wrong for calling me wrong to assume, but you are just clearly not educated about the points game. Remember, these post are about the question in the OP.
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2014
137 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GPS wrote: How do people compare this deal to transferring points to Aeroplan at 1:1? I've never traded my Amex points for hotel points before, just airline.
If your points was earned from regular MR, not MR-S, I would think twice transferring to Marriott. If your earning is from Cobalt or Edge, then go for it.
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2016
161 posts
74 upvotes
solo. wrote: This thread is about whether it is worth it to transfer MR to Bonvoy and the answer is YES if you are maximizing the value of those points by staying those 5 nights (for 4 nights cost). Of course there's the exception of people wanting to top off their points to get a night. But for most folks, if you're staying for 4 days or less, it is definitely much better value to use MR points for fixed points travel along with a discount code.

So you are definitely not wrong for calling me wrong to assume, but you are just clearly not educated about the points game. Remember, these post are about the question in the OP.
What's better value though? fixed rewards or mariott bonvoy at 1.5 redemption?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1980 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
ead009 wrote: What's better value though? fixed rewards or mariott bonvoy at 1.5 redemption?
It depends if you're looking to stay at the super fancy resorts in Maldives using the 4 day + 1 free day trip, or a simple category 1 in the states for a road trip. Are you able to leverage CAA or other discounts booking directly on Marriot?

It really depends on your preference when travelling. If you're the type that goes all-out in baller status (5* hotel) and are staying for 5 days, then Bonvoy would be great! If you're looking for a road trip and just a place to crash, then save your MRS/MR points for fixed point travel (or get the AMEX Credit card at the same redemption rate at 1000pts to $10) and book a best western or equivalent.

But without knowing anything and just basing on the value of a Bonvoy vs Fixed points, the only time you'd come out ahead with the bonus transfer is if you leverage the 4+1 deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1269 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto, ON
amplified wrote: Realistically more like 0.7-0.8 cents per point. One of the sweet spots is 4 nights on points get 5th night free
North American hotels typically have poor redemption value <1c. However, you can get 2-4c relatively easily if you book hotels in southeast asia, africa, south america, etc.
I usually book NA Marriott hotels using my corporate rate or use Priceline express deals these days.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8675 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
solo. wrote: This thread is about whether it is worth it to transfer MR to Bonvoy and the answer is YES if you are maximizing the value of those points by staying those 5 nights (for 4 nights cost). Of course there's the exception of people wanting to top off their points to get a night. But for most folks, if you're staying for 4 days or less, it is definitely much better value to use MR points for fixed points travel along with a discount code.

So you are definitely not wrong for calling me wrong to assume, but you are just clearly not educated about the points game. Remember, these post are about the question in the OP.
You are wrong again. You assume I'm not "educated" about the points game. In fact, you are the one needing to be educated, that your assumptions can be wrong, especially here. I and many others fully know about the Marriott point system, including recent changes. There are lots of good redemptions possible, when you cannot stay 5 nights at a time. Not staying 5 nights at one place, doesn't make the redemption bad, in fact there can be lots of good redemptions.

This thread is about whether it's good value to do this transfer with bonus, and discussion about the value and use of the Marriott points are also relevant.

It is good value to do the transfer now, for people who can stay in Marriott hotels. It is not good value if people are not going to be able to make use of those Marriott points, but can redeem those Amex points for other use.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1980 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Okay there keyboard warrior, keep thinking you're right and that I'm wrong, but the fact is you need to be educated. Why don't you redeem yourself by showing how this is good value given the constant devaluations at Marriot (and please don't give examples of New Years Eve or any those special days)? SHOW RFD that good redemption for a day or 2!

Last I heard, AMEX prepaid credit cards retain there value pretty well ;) And you have the option to stay at any hotel chain or use it anywhere that takes AMEX.
Arrgh wrote: You are wrong again. You assume I'm not "educated" about the points game. In fact, you are the one needing to be educated, that your assumptions can be wrong, especially here. I and many others fully know about the Marriott point system, including recent changes. There are lots of good redemptions possible, when you cannot stay 5 nights at a time. Not staying 5 nights at one place, doesn't make the redemption bad, in fact there can be lots of good redemptions.

This thread is about whether it's good value to do this transfer with bonus, and discussion about the value and use of the Marriott points are also relevant.

It is good value to do the transfer now, for people who can stay in Marriott hotels. It is not good value if people are not going to be able to make use of those Marriott points, but can redeem those Amex points for other use.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1644 posts
3297 upvotes
Markham
Redemptions are not great atm since cash rates are so cheap. There are obviously exceptions (for example, Turkey, where they're getting all the rejects from the US who can't enter other countries), but generally better off paying cash for rooms right now.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8675 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
solo. wrote: Okay there keyboard warrior, keep thinking you're right and that I'm wrong, but the fact is you need to be educated. Why don't you redeem yourself by showing how this is good value given the constant devaluations at Marriot (and please don't give examples of New Years Eve or any those special days)? SHOW RFD that good redemption for a day or 2!

Last I heard, AMEX prepaid credit cards retain there value pretty well ;) And you have the option to stay at any hotel chain or use it anywhere that takes AMEX.
You obviously need to be educated if you don't know how there have been so many times redeeming Marriott points come out to so much better than paying.

In Feb., we stayed at Sydney Circular Quay Marriott, at 35,000 points/night (yes redemption had gone up since), for 2 nights, pre-cruise. If paying, the rate was almost Cad$800/night. Over the last 2 years we stayed at We stayed at Townplace Cincinnati for 7,500 points/n rather than US$130/n; stayed at Detroit Marriott for 10k points/n rather than paying US$200/n, stayed at Atlanta Century Marriott for 15k/n (this hotel alternated in categories), rather than US$200/n. Many similar good point redemptions all over the world, not just N America.

As someone said ATM the cash rates are low due to the pandemic. But the pandemic will not be forever. So don't try to compare rates ATM, compare them at normal times. The other good value is transferring Marriott points to airline points if you can use the points to fly.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1980 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote: You obviously need to be educated if you don't know how there have been so many times redeeming Marriott points come out to so much better than paying.

In Feb., we stayed at Sydney Circular Quay Marriott, at 35,000 points/night (yes redemption had gone up since), for 2 nights, pre-cruise. If paying, the rate was almost Cad$800/night. Over the last 2 years we stayed at We stayed at Townplace Cincinnati for 7,500 points/n rather than US$130/n; stayed at Detroit Marriott for 10k points/n rather than paying US$200/n, stayed at Atlanta Century Marriott for 15k/n (this hotel alternated in categories), rather than US$200/n. Many similar good point redemptions all over the world, not just N America.

As someone said ATM the cash rates are low due to the pandemic. But the pandemic will not be forever. So don't try to compare rates ATM, compare them at normal times. The other good value is transferring Marriott points to airline points if you can use the points to fly.
Thanks, my point has been proven. You have not provided substantial facts to show that it's good value to redeem now. I would've had to call you dumb if you actually paid $800 a night for that place when there's plenty of other Marriot properties close by that hover $200-250CAD at off the rack rates (I'm not using advance purchase, or Marriot member rates to keep you happy). Those are all CAT5, which is 40,000 points.

You need to educate yourself and get a reality check. We don't have a time machine, so your experiences from the past 2 years aren't worth a penny. The hotels you've stayed before have INCREASED in categories and redemption rates (pending the high/mid/low season). Sure, the pandemic will be over in the future, but aren't you forgetting the devaluations will also come too (which I had mentioned in my previous sentence if you didn't bother to check the rates/categories today)?

If you're still living in the past, then yes, I totally agree that 3 years ago Marriot was awesome and you could redeem flights and hotel packages (I have 2 7N linked to my account that expires in the new year). But as of now, I can't agree with you about it being a good value considering you can redeem MRS for 1:1 cent (this will be 1:0.07 after the current promo is over) travel credit or get an AMEX Prepaid Credit card, or MR to any other airline points.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8675 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
solo. wrote: Thanks, my point has been proven. You have not provided substantial facts to show that it's good value to redeem now. I would've had to call you dumb if you actually paid $800 a night for that place when there's plenty of other Marriot properties close by that hover $200-250CAD at off the rack rates (I'm not using advance purchase, or Marriot member rates to keep you happy). Those are all CAT5, which is 40,000 points.

You need to educate yourself and get a reality check. We don't have a time machine, so your experiences from the past 2 years aren't worth a penny. The hotels you've stayed before have INCREASED in categories and redemption rates (pending the high/mid/low season). Sure, the pandemic will be over in the future, but aren't you forgetting the devaluations will also come too (which I had mentioned in my previous sentence if you didn't bother to check the rates/categories today)?

If you're still living in the past, then yes, I totally agree that 3 years ago Marriot was awesome and you could redeem flights and hotel packages (I have 2 7N linked to my account that expires in the new year). But as of now, I can't agree with you about it being a good value considering you can redeem MRS for 1:1 cent (this will be 1:0.07 after the current promo is over) travel credit or get an AMEX Prepaid Credit card, or MR to any other airline points.
If you NOW, then even redeeming for 4 nights to get 1 night free NOW is NOT good value for most Marriott places. NOW is not a good time for non-essential travel, even with cheap rates.

For the Marriott Circular Quay hotel in Sydney, it took us 5 minutes easy walking on mostly flat surface to walk to the cruise terminal. This hotel is right by the Circular Quay metro station, so it's extremely convenient. Other Marriott hotels in Sydney aren't as convenient and Sydney is hilly. In Feb., when we redeemed for 35,000 points, the going cash rate WAS around Cad$800. If you look at the rates in Jan.-Feb. next year, most days are over $400AU. For that, redemption (now at cat 5) can be worth it, even better if you have the cat-5 voucher from the Amex Marriott card.

In Taipei, redemption for most Marriott hotels are good value, including for the next few months. Sheraton at 25,000 points is better than almost $300cad. In Tokyo, many hotels are cat 6 and over Cad$600, and if you need to stay in/near one of those places (we did), the cat 6 redemption is better value. In Silicon Valley, most Marriott hotels have high cash rates, and redemption is often better value, yes including in the next few months.

Top