Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex MR 25% Bonus for Transferring to BonVoy (includes Cobalt)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 8:03 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2713 posts
1225 upvotes
solo. wrote: If you're using the points to book anything other than the 4 nights + 1 free, you're doing it wrong.

Seems like you kinda decided for well....everyone that 4 nights + 1 free is what everyone should do with Marriot points.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2169 posts
674 upvotes
Burnaby
Everyone values differently based on their own goals. You wouldnt value what would normally be a $50/nt hotel room in Vegas @ an inflated $300/nt just because there happens to be a UFC event during your stay, its value is still $50. But maybe you don't have any other choice and using points outweighs paying the inflated cash rate.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1239 posts
1116 upvotes
What if wife and I have 3 bonvoy cards? Can we book a five night stay using 3 certificates, the fourth night using points, and get the 5th for free?
HawaiianGate wrote: You should be able to. Just called customer service at Marriott Bon boy
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1644 posts
250 upvotes
Barrie
There are incredible redemptions, and terrible redemptions in terms of value. One needs to look on a case-by-case basis and determine if the points value is worth it to you or not.

I generally stay at hotels I can afford out of pocket if it's less than 5 nights and nothing spectacular about the options on points and reserve my points for aspirational properties that I wouldn't ever consider paying cash for. 5 nights at a place like St. Regis Maldives or St. Regis Boar Bora can run you $7k - $10k+++ for 5 nights or be had for 340k (maybe a bit less or more due to peak/standard/off peak).
Last edited by tylerc on Sep 3rd, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amex Platinum and Gold Membership Rewards, Bonvoy, and Aeroplan help me travel on the cheap!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5282 posts
3295 upvotes
naticom wrote: What if wife and I have 3 bonvoy cards? Can we book a five night stay using 3 certificates, the fourth night using points, and get the 5th for free?
no you cannot combine certificate nights with the 5th night free promo
Member
User avatar
Nov 15, 2016
331 posts
215 upvotes
spielo wrote: EDIT: Was corrected on my calculations later in the thread!

In case it helps anyone, I ran some numbers on converting MR/MR Select to Aeroplan via Bonvoy:

100,000 Amex = 150,000 Bonvoy (2 MR = 3 convoy)
150,000 Bonvoy = 50,000 Aeroplan
+ 10,000 Bonus = 60,000 Aeroplan (5,000 bonus for transferring 60k)

Total: 100K Amex MR = 60,000 Aeroplan
Is this the best method to go about maximizing the points? I have 120k Amex and have never done this before. Mostly book 5-7night stays at resorts or Maldives for my honeymoon. What do you fine churning folk suggest i do?

Amex > Bonvoy > Aeroplan?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3890 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MMMM wrote: Seems like you kinda decided for well....everyone that 4 nights + 1 free is what everyone should do with Marriot points.
From a pts game perspective he's got a point. Collecting all those points - might as well try accumulate 4 nights to get a 5th night free, that's what we did at Maldives. Going all the way there totally worth it!
Newbie
Dec 28, 2018
16 posts
68 upvotes
Toad99 wrote: Is this the best method to go about maximizing the points? I have 120k Amex and have never done this before. Mostly book 5-7night stays at resorts or Maldives for my honeymoon. What do you fine churning folk suggest i do?

Amex > Bonvoy > Aeroplan?
I honestly couldn't work out if it represented good value, depends on how you redeem in each case. There's so many variables, like Bonvoy redemption can be better value if you do it as times where it's often more expensive in cash. Same with flights through amex/aeroplan on the fixed point systems, opposite is true on the flexible point systems, but then the taxes and fees can be huge... At a certain point it becomes too much work to figure out if it's worth it or not, and it's all hypothetical unless you already have a specific itinerary in mind.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2005
829 posts
118 upvotes
spielo wrote: EDIT: Was corrected on my calculations later in the thread!

In case it helps anyone, I ran some numbers on converting MR/MR Select to Aeroplan via Bonvoy:

100,000 Amex = 150,000 Bonvoy (2 MR = 3 convoy)
150,000 Bonvoy = 50,000 Aeroplan
+ 10,000 Bonus = 60,000 Aeroplan (5,000 bonus for transferring 60k)

Total: 100K Amex MR = 60,000 Aeroplan
I'm confused, aren't Amex MR points normally 1:1 with Aeroplan?
Newbie
Dec 28, 2018
16 posts
68 upvotes
Midevilshadow wrote: I'm confused, aren't Amex MR points normally 1:1 with Aeroplan?
They are, but if you have Amex Cobalt then you can't exchange them directly for Aeroplan.
Jr. Member
Dec 5, 2011
199 posts
206 upvotes
YVR
The above post is confusing because it says "Total: 100K Amex MR = 60,000 Aeroplan"
MR are not the same as MR-S. 100k Amex MR-Select = 60,000 Aeroplan points

I'm not sure if you are talking about having 120k MR or MR-S.
If you are referring to MR-S then it is really all about what you want to do with your points. I never transfer MR-S to Bonvoy to Aeroplan because it is so easy to get them in other ways. I transfer MR-S - Bonvoy - Alaska Miles because they are more difficult to get as a Canadian. But honestly, it's all about what your own preferences. Do you value hotel stays over premium flights? Personally, I value business/first class long haul flights over really nice hotels because I rarely spend time at hotels when I travel. But if the point of your vacation is to stay in the hotel and use its amenities then you might value premium hotel stays over flights.

If you have 100k MR points, then you can transfer them to 1:1 to BA Avois, 1:0.75 to Asia Miles or to Aeroplan 1:1
I suggest you decide what you want to do with your points before you do any transfers.

Toad99 wrote: Is this the best method to go about maximizing the points? I have 120k Amex and have never done this before. Mostly book 5-7night stays at resorts or Maldives for my honeymoon. What do you fine churning folk suggest i do?

Amex > Bonvoy > Aeroplan?
Last edited by islander59 on Sep 13th, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 3, 2012
78 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
islander59 wrote: The above post is confusing because it says "Total: 100K Amex MR = 60,000 Aeroplan"
MR are not the same as MR-S. 100k Amex MR-Select = 60,000 Aeroplan points

I'm not sure if you are talking about having 120k MR or MR-S.
If you are referring to MR-S then it is really all about what you want to do with your points. I never transfer MR-S to Bonvoy to Aeroplan because it is so easy to get them in other ways. I transfer MR-S - Bonvoy - Alaska Miles because they are more difficult to get as a Canadian. But honestly, it's all about what your own preferences. Do you value hotel stays over premium flights? Personally, I value business/first class long haul flights over really nice hotels because I rarely spend time at hotels when I travel. But if the point of your vacation is to stay in the hotel and use its amenities then you might value premium hotel stays over flights.

If you have 100k MR points, then you can transfer them to 1:1 to BA Avois, 1:0.75 to Asia Miles or (during this promotion) to Aeroplan 1:1.25
I suggest you decide what you want to do with your points before you do any transfers.
Which promotion are you referring to? Is there an MR to Aeroplan for 1:1.25 that I don't know about?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2004
4127 posts
1173 upvotes
Vancouver
While by far the best points redemption is likely the 5-for-4 nights, sometimes it's just not practical. If you are going by a purely value-based vacation, then yes, you can plan your trip around one of these stays perhaps like in the Maldives or Hawaii which offer good bang-for-buck. My personal travel often requires a lot of one-night layover-type stays and I often only have enough points for a couple nights, not an entire week. I ended up in London once at the start of a Europe trip and had two full days there, just needed a single night so I booked a high end London hotel and it was nice to treat myself to such a luxury.
Removed external link in signature.
Jr. Member
Dec 5, 2011
199 posts
206 upvotes
YVR
My apologies, there is a 25% promotion from MR to Bonvoy and you can then transfer to Aeroplan (which would be a terrible idea). I missed that step and thus the transfer ratio to Aeroplan is incorrect. MR to Aeroplan is 1:1
*I corrected my post
AznKirby wrote: Which promotion are you referring to? Is there an MR to Aeroplan for 1:1.25 that I don't know about?

Top