Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

Amex Platinum YYZ Duty Free $200 off $200 or more

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 10:12 pm
Dec 7, 2002
532 posts
76 upvotes

Amex Platinum YYZ Duty Free $200 off $200 or more

Savings:
$200
Expiry:
February 15, 2018
Retailer:
American Express
For those who have an Amex Platinum there's an offer right now for $200 off $200 or more at the duty free shops.

Perfect timing for those travelling into or out of Toronto for the holidays to the US or internationally

Edit: Thought I'd update the post so the summary is easier to read up here.

Summary of discounts available (Thanks @nabeel ):
Offers seem to be consistent for different Amex products:

$500 off $500+
Amex Centurion

$200 off $200+
Amex Plat

$50 off $50+
Amex Cobalt

$50 off $250+
Amex Plat Biz
Amex Air Miles Plat
Amex SPG
Amex SimplyCash
Amex Choice
Amex Gold

Confirmed by Amex Online message (Thanks @jerryhung ):

Guess what, you will be delighted to know that all our personal Card Members are eligible for the said promotional offer!

It means except your Business Cards, all other Cards are eligible for this offer.

I'll explain the details to you:

Platinum Charge Card - You can earn a $200 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $200 (CAD) or more (after taxes) using your American Express Platinum Card at participating Toronto Pearson International Airport Duty Free stores.

Cobalt Card - You can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $50 (CAD) or more (after taxes) using your American Express Platinum Card at participating Toronto Pearson International Airport Duty Free stores.

All other Cards (personal) - You can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $250 (CAD) or more (after taxes) using your American Express Platinum Card at participating Toronto Pearson International Airport Duty Free stores.

Terms and Conditions

1 Purchase(s) must be completed between December 15th, 2017 and February 15th, 2018 and subsequently posted to the account to be a qualifying purchase for this offer.

2 The eligible American Express Platinum Card must be used when making qualifying purchases. Only one (1) $200 (CAD) statement credit is available per account during this offer period. The Basic or Supplementary Cardmember would have to make a qualifying purchase of $200 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in a single transaction on their eligible Card at a participating Duty Free location during the offer period to earn a statement credit. Statement credits earned on supplementary card purchases will be issued to the Basic Card account associated with that Supplementary Card. Purchase must be charged to an American Express Platinum Card at participating Duty Free retailers located at Toronto Pearson International Airport. Statement credit may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement after the Cardmember has completed a qualifying purchase. The statement credit will be reversed if the qualifying purchase is refunded or cancelled. If a portion of the purchase is returned but the remaining items still total $200 or more, the statement credit will not be reversed. If the statement credit is being applied to a credit card account, please note that this does not satisfy the requirements to pay the minimum due. A statement credit does not constitute a payment. The Cardmember must continue to make separate payments of at least the minimum due in accordance with the Cardmember agreement and account statement. We reserve the right to substitute an American Express Gift Card or cheque in lieu of the statement credit. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer. In the event that you replace your eligible Card through Amex Bank of Canada because it has been lost, stolen or there has been a fraud event during an Offer, your qualifying purchase will be transferred to your new Card. In this scenario your replacement Card will become your eligible Card. This offer will appear on your statement as “Bonus Credit ‑$200”.
Last edited by atong on Dec 15th, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Not clear yet if this is targeted or not (although Cobalt offer is on the publicly-accessible Cobalt Perks page: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/b ... tions.html).

Offers seem to be consistent for different Amex products:

$500 off $500+
Amex Centurion

$200 off $200+
Amex Plat

$50 off $50+
Amex Cobalt

$50 off $250+
Amex Plat Biz
Amex Air Miles Plat
Amex SPG
Amex SimplyCash
Amex Choice
Amex Gold

From AMEX online message
Guess what, you will be delighted to know that all our personal Card Members are eligible for the said promotional offer!

It means except your Business Cards, all other Cards are eligible for this offer.

I'll explain the details to you:

Platinum Charge Card - You can earn a $200 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $200 (CAD) or more (after taxes) using your American Express Platinum Card at participating Toronto Pearson International Airport Duty Free stores.

Cobalt Card - You can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $50 (CAD) or more (after taxes) using your American Express Platinum Card at participating Toronto Pearson International Airport Duty Free stores.

All other Cards (personal) - You can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $250 (CAD) or more (after taxes) using your American Express Platinum Card at participating Toronto Pearson International Airport Duty Free stores.
285 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1752 posts
742 upvotes
Windsor
I haven't got it on my Plat ...
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
Must be targeted.. too bad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Officially addicted to RFD!!
Best RFD Score since joining:
Received 500GB Dell USB Drive $69 (Price error)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5185 posts
1828 upvotes
Mississauga
I got this on my email this afternoon. There's no special code so not sure if it's targetted.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6606 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
How about AMEX platinum business card? Or only the personal version
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
2230 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
Is there anyway to get into the Duty free to buy stuff and get out without having a boarding pass?
Dec 7, 2002
532 posts
76 upvotes
Maybe targeted, but you can call concierge to check?

I got the offer and so did the 2 friends I referred.
Aug 20, 2003
492 posts
351 upvotes
Markham
I got this email too, but my offer was only for a $50 credit when spending $250 or more.
Last edited by hky77 on Dec 15th, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
ricedion wrote: How about AMEX platinum business card? Or only the personal version
I checked both my accounts, nothing for me...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Officially addicted to RFD!!
Best RFD Score since joining:
Received 500GB Dell USB Drive $69 (Price error)
Nov 3, 2017
132 posts
155 upvotes
Lol so i have the card, but i didn't get the offer or is this just a universal offer?
Aug 26, 2011
572 posts
398 upvotes
Got offered 50$ off 250$ for my simply cash card.. meh not going through pearson anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2863 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
hky77 wrote: I got this email too, but my offer was only for a $50 credit when spending $250 or more.
Ditto but then mine is a no-fee card so...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
Got $200/$200 on my wife's Plat, $50/$50 on my wife's Cobalt, nothing on my wife's Plat Biz and my Plat & Plat Biz.

A friend got $50/$250 on his SPG.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1719 posts
1082 upvotes
Hamilton
OP, consider yourself lucky and I'm not sure what Amex was thinking when they offer $200 off for a $200+ shopping :)

Targeted: I got "From Friday, December 15th, 2017 to Thursday, February 15th, 2018, you can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit when you spend $250 (CAD) or more (after taxes)1 in a single transaction using your eligible American Express Card** at participating Toronto Duty Free stores at Toronto Pearson International Airport below" which is similar to their pattern.
Mar 11, 2009
134 posts
89 upvotes
Got $200/$200+ on Amex Plat and $50/$250+ on SPG Amex.
Last edited by kiwi1962 on Dec 15th, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 19, 2017
23 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got offered $50 off any transaction $50+ at any Pearson Duty Free on my cobalt card.
Last edited by Josh765 on Dec 15th, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
nabeel wrote: Got $200/$200 on my wife's Plat, $50/$50 on my wife's Cobalt, nothing on my wife's Plat Biz and my Plat & Plat Biz.

A friend got $50/$250 on his SPG.
kiwi1962 wrote: Got $200/$200 on Amex Plat and $50/$250 on SPG Amex.
Josh765 wrote: I got offered $50 off and transaction $50+ at any Pearson Duty Free on my cobalt card.
So it seems the offers received are consistent for the specific card products, I've added that to the thread summary. Still not clear if it's targeted (I got it on my wife's 7 month old Plat, but not on my 1 month old Plat).
Last edited by nabeel on Dec 15th, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
I'm flying abroad from another airport, but flying internationally into YYZ in early January. Is there a duty free upon arrivals?

I see their Reserve & Collect service mentions they have arrivals pickup - any idea how that works?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
hky77 wrote: I got this email too, but my offer was only for a $50 credit when spending $250 or more.
toronto_slim wrote: Ditto but then mine is a no-fee card so...
Which cards?