• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 10:02 am
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4528 posts
1235 upvotes
KevinK90588 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 5:41 pm
That's great to know that it works in SoF. Does this particular store have GC's and do they have any lower valued GC's like $5,$10,$20. It doesn't make sense to buy a high-valued GC to get a $5 cash-back.
I think this is the only save on running this amex promo.

Don't know about gift cards. I bought products. Went back and tried 1 purchase on my other 5 cards. Plus card I used 1st time, I made 2 purchases. Playing it safe to test out different purchase scenarios.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7526 posts
3982 upvotes
North York
Coldpineapples wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 4:14 pm
Mac's Sushi at Yorkdale was on Amex's list of participating stores but the store did not accept Amex when I went to buy, bummer!
Wow it did accept AMEX before. I purchased from them during the last AMEX promotion.
Oct 3, 2013
418 posts
372 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 1:05 am
I think this is the only save on running this amex promo.

Don't know about gift cards. I bought products. Went back and tried 1 purchase on my other 5 cards. Plus card I used 1st time, I made 2 purchases. Playing it safe to test out different purchase scenarios.
Please report back when you know. I am curious to know if it will credit multiple times for the same store on the same card. I would try it myself (I should’ve when I was there), but I am out of town until the end of August, so I won’t get a chance to provide any data points.

I would much rather buy groceries than a bunch of random coffees, snacks, etc. that I don’t really need.

Purchasing gift cards has worked with other stores in the past - seems like AMEX’s systems just auto credit when it sees a certain merchant come up.
Oct 8, 2015
635 posts
311 upvotes
I remember reading from a website that AMEX started to treat GC as cash advance...correct me if I’m wrong...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1252 posts
1212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Toronto registrations are closed. If I register for another city but use in Toronto, will the credit be applied? Any dp appreciated.
Banned
May 9, 2019
277 posts
275 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 12:27 am
* it's free money
you're not a centurion member
* It's not free money. Platinum annual fee is 700$

You would think they auto enroll you for benefits YOU are paying for.

Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1055 posts
131 upvotes
Mississauga
dotsandpixels wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 1:17 pm
Toronto registrations are closed. If I register for another city but use in Toronto, will the credit be applied? Any dp appreciated.
yes
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
2783 posts
736 upvotes
Vancouver
bezne1 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 2:08 pm
* It's not free money. Platinum annual fee is 700$

You would think they auto enroll you for benefits YOU are paying for.

the fee comes with many other benefits already, this is additional which should not be expected with the fee, hence it is free money

what you are paying is nothing compared to those who spend millions on their cards

*, you pay the fee because YOU want the benefits. AMEX pays those high spenders because AMEX wants the benefits

there's a big difference
Banned
May 9, 2019
277 posts
275 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 3:01 pm
the fee comes with many other benefits already, this is additional which should not be expected with the fee, hence it is free money

what you are paying is nothing compared to those who spend millions on their cards

* you pay the fee because YOU want the benefits. AMEX pays those high spenders because AMEX wants the benefits

there's a big difference
Youre wrong and That's not how marketing works.
This $5 promo is to get you to visit local retailers and USE your Amex. The hope as the you go and spend more money there in the future on your amex. It's likely the retailer's are paying to be a part of this promo or have a deal with amex to promote this.
In addition to this, people sign up for the amex platinum specifically for promos and specialty events.
The benefits and perks are what you pay for, including special promotions. All amex should be auto enrrollled in this.. or at least the platinum tiers should be.

In addition it's not free money. This is paid advertising for you to shop local. They also emailed me about it but did not make it clear you had to register ... So clearly this is a promo that they want you to take part in, but want to play games with who they pay money out to. It's a shady tactic ..

Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 23rd, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: chill
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1192 posts
328 upvotes
Once I received one credit back the registered offer no longer appears when I look at my offers.
Is this happening to everyone?

Note: I received the offer officially
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5599 posts
5574 upvotes
Vancouver
Many thanks for this! I got 4 cards registered in the Vancouver promo. Last time I made 19 visits to 5 different liquor stores, spending $135 total on beer, and Amex gave me $95 back. Here we go again!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
2783 posts
736 upvotes
Vancouver
bezne1 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 3:26 pm
Youre wrong and That's not how marketing works.
This $5 promo is to get you to visit local retailers and USE your Amex. The hope as the you go and spend more money there in the future on your amex. It's likely the retailer's are paying to be a part of this promo or have a deal with amex to promote this.
In addition to this, people sign up for the amex platinum specifically for promos and specialty events.
The benefits and perks are what you pay for, including special promotions. All amex should be auto enrrollled in this.. or at least the platinum tiers should be.

In addition it's not free money. This is paid advertising for you to shop local. They also emailed me about it but did not make it clear you had to register ... So clearly this is a promo that they want you to take part in, but want to play games with who they pay money out to. It's a shady tactic ..

the e-mail is quite clear actually and provides the link that says "REGISTER HERE"

there is nothing in their terms that suggests the fee includes automatic enrollment in promos

in fact, it is against the law to automatically enroll people into benefits without their explicit consent (such as clicking a link)

and it is free money. you are not require to pay anything above $5 to get the credit. if you spent exactly $5 worth or product, you get $5 back, effectively making it free