Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

Amex Shop Small Spend $5 get $5 is back! [targeted?]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 10:02 am
Apr 6, 2007
481 posts
127 upvotes
Kelowna
We need to have a separate post with regular updates, to capture all the ongoing AMEX offers; similar to the gift card promotion thread
Feb 10, 2019
30 posts
22 upvotes
Weird. Got it on my 2x cash back card, but not my cobalt (Vancouver). Kind of annoying since I'll probably use it at bars/cafes and would rather use my cobalt for the charge.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2013
1149 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
This whole promotion is kinda a joke, not complaining but it's kinda funny, I see there are some mcdonalds and tim hortons in the "shop small" but others aren't. Probably wouldn't goto them anyways but saw that they were on the list which is kinda funny, giant corporate stores aren't what I think of when I think of "shop small"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8085 posts
3868 upvotes
Ychanceit wrote: This whole promotion is kinda a joke, not complaining but it's kinda funny, I see there are some mcdonalds and tim hortons in the "shop small" but others aren't. Probably wouldn't goto them anyways but saw that they were on the list which is kinda funny, giant corporate stores aren't what I think of when I think of "shop small"
Maybe they're individually owned and thus not as corporate?
Feb 25, 2019
30 posts
56 upvotes
South Simcoe
Ychanceit wrote: This whole promotion is kinda a joke, not complaining but it's kinda funny, I see there are some mcdonalds and tim hortons in the "shop small" but others aren't. Probably wouldn't goto them anyways but saw that they were on the list which is kinda funny, giant corporate stores aren't what I think of when I think of "shop small"
I got $5 back at a Dollarama. It's kinda random. But it was random the last time they had it.
Aug 17, 2006
506 posts
451 upvotes
First, thank OP for pointing out!

I participated in last round without any problems. Once you spend $5 and above (that's including tax) then the credit posts within 1-2 days. Note, I also used with same vendor and the credit posted as well last time; will try again this time around.

I checked the map again and it looks like there are listing for small business but only some of them have the $5 logo as well. I would caution to stick to those locations only. Unless others report back on those business that only have the small business logo and it works...
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
jammin825 wrote: First, thank OP for pointing out!

I participated in last round without any problems. Once you spend $5 and above (that's including tax) then the credit posts within 1-2 days. Note, I also used with same vendor and the credit posted as well last time; will try again this time around.

I checked the map again and it looks like there are listing for small business but only some of them have the $5 logo as well. I would caution to stick to those locations only. Unless others report back on those business that only have the small business logo and it works...
Is it just me or is CF Pacific Center/Oakridge Center also listed - if it actually works there its probably a good time to get some gift cards.
Aug 5, 2018
566 posts
872 upvotes
Didn't find this deal until now, due to Prime day moving the forum too fast.

Indeed, 5 amex personal cards, only Cobalt got targeted. (so $25)

It also seems that only main cards can register this time around:

supplementary cards do not get amex offers
No public sign up page has been found.

I guess this deal is not as hot as it used to be.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
4279 posts
4638 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
Many merchants are not participating this promo so even you can sign up for multiple cards you might not be able to use them all
xx1what wrote: Didn't find this deal until now, due to Prime day moving the forum too fast.

Indeed, 5 amex personal cards, only Cobalt got targeted. (so $25)

It also seems that only main cards can register this time around:

supplementary cards do not get amex offers
No public sign up page has been found.

I guess this deal is not as hot as it used to be.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6609 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I loaded $5 multiple times to my second cup gift card easily. But it seems that almost all of the second cup no longer participate $5 off promo this time around
Dec 12, 2004
555 posts
351 upvotes
ricedion wrote: Last time I loaded $5 multiple times to my second cup gift card easily. But it seems that almost all of the second cup no longer participate $5 off promo this time around
Only one of my 4 Amex cards were targeted this time around. Loaded $5 at a Second Cup today and will confirm if the credit posts. It did show up as a Shop Small on the map.

They also had a "NO AMEX PLEASE" sign written on the payment terminal. I paid with Amex Express Pay no issues. And you can report locations that won't take Amex here: TakeAmex.ca
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6609 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
turbov6 wrote: Only one of my 4 Amex cards were targeted this time around. Loaded $5 at a Second Cup today and will confirm if the credit posts. It did show up as a Shop Small on the map.

They also had a "NO AMEX PLEASE" sign written on the payment terminal. I paid with Amex Express Pay no issues. And you can report locations that won't take Amex here: TakeAmex.ca
Even last time not all second cup participated to the $5 promo. Only some participating locations. You need to filter with spend $5 get $5. But I do hope you get it. Please report back.
May 26, 2009
588 posts
789 upvotes
Calgary
I am really curious how they decide which cards to use this offer. It showed up on a Biz Plat, but not on the Cobalt, Personal Gold or Biz Gold. Too bad that you couldn't sign up all cards (including supplemental) like last time. But it is still free money.
Feb 24, 2018
73 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like it's a targeted offer. I don't see it on the apps/website.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
Madchester wrote: If you go-to your Amex Dashboard, there's a new blue box on the right hand side that says "AMEX Offers".

I applied via that link. Thanks OP for the heads up.

My amex offers show up near the bottom. I currently have 6 amex cards and I don't see this on any of the 6 cards. Maybe it will show up later?
Feb 9, 2017
8 posts
8 upvotes
crimsona wrote: Got the email finally, but no public registration link, only to the targeted card.
There is actually a "public" registration page for each participating city, but I have only been able to figure out the URL for one of the cities (as I don't have the offer codes for the other cities). I have successfully registered all of my Canadian AmEx cards, including the Supplementary cards.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
ameccy wrote: There is actually a "public" registration page for each participating city, but I have only been able to figure out the URL for one of the cities (as I don't have the offer codes for the other cities). I have successfully registered all of my Canadian AmEx cards, including the Supplementary cards.
Which city do you have?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1538 posts
1228 upvotes
Arrow wrote: Which city do you have?
That's THE question. It was their first post, suspicious.

Only my personal gold got targeted this time. I guess those days of being able to register all cards were too good to continue.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, Wise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Feb 9, 2017
8 posts
8 upvotes
maverikbc wrote: That's THE question. It was their first post, suspicious.

Only my personal gold got targeted this time. I guess those days of being able to register all cards were too good to continue.
IMG_amex_register.png

This is the "public" registration page I mentioned, though the web address is not yet publicized anywhere as far as I know. I figured it out myself, but only for this one city. I have successfully registered all my Canadian AmEx cards on this page.

As there is a limit placed on the number of registrants, it'll be fine with me if you continue to believe this is "suspicious" and "too good to" be true.
Last edited by ameccy on Jul 17th, 2019 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)