Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] AMEX - Shop Small (Spring 2019) - Spend $5 Get $5 - Up To 5 Times = $25

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2019 3:03 pm
Jan 28, 2004
904 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
wra45mon wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 12:04 pm
Supplementary cards don't qualify. See T&C's.
That is what they posted last time too but many people confirmed it worked on their supplementary cards
Aug 5, 2018
477 posts
622 upvotes
wra45mon wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 12:04 pm
Supplementary cards don't qualify. See T&C's.
It works.

A way to interpret the T&C is that purchases done on supplementary cards do not count toward the registered main card $5 back.

But if you register the supplementary card, its purchases would count toward $5 on the supplementary card itself.

But the credits from both cards post on the main account, with a label for supplementary card.
Jan 3, 2013
661 posts
233 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP. Just registered Personal Gold and SPG cards.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5988 posts
6057 upvotes
Vancouver
I didn't get the email but was able to register three Amex cards anyway. Last time this deal was offered it was the same thing, no email but I registered three cards and was able to get $25 in credits on each. Many local pubs and brew pubs are participating. FREE BEER!!! This is a superb hot deal.
Last edited by Kiraly on Mar 1st, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5988 posts
6057 upvotes
Vancouver
xx1what wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 12:25 pm
It works.

A way to interpret the T&C is that purchases done on supplementary cards do not count toward the registered main card $5 back.

But if you register the supplementary card, its purchases would count toward $5 on the supplementary card itself.

But the credits from both cards post on the main account, with a label for supplementary card.
+1 I can confirm that this is how it worked for me last time. I registered my supplementary card (my wife is main cardholder) and purchases I made with my registered supplementary card got the $5 credit. What the T&C is actually meaning is that if your register the main card and not the supplementary card, purchases made with the supplementary card don't earn $5 credits.
Jun 9, 2006
439 posts
45 upvotes
Do the purchases have to be at 5 different merchants or can they be 5 separate transactions at the same merchant?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12624 posts
2749 upvotes
Markham
PCalvin wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:23 pm
Do the purchases have to be at 5 different merchants or can they be 5 separate transactions at the same merchant?
I've done multiples at the same merchant but they were on different days. Not sure if that matters.
Jul 7, 2007
134 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Just FYI. Keep an eye out for your statement. I participated last time in November and one of the credits didn't go thru. Luckily all I had to do was contact Amex and they credited it to me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6878 posts
1350 upvotes
Mont-Royal
id the amex simply cash no annual fees eligible as consumer card?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Apr 6, 2007
367 posts
91 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:25 pm
I've done multiples at the same merchant but they were on different days. Not sure if that matters.
May be there was no mention in the T&C for 5 different merchants last time. Someone went to secondcup and purchased $5 GC multiple times and that worked last time.

Please report back if someone receives credit for shopping at same location twice or more.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3970 posts
2838 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:37 pm
id the amex simply cash no annual fees eligible as consumer card?
Yes. Seems like all cards are eligible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5988 posts
6057 upvotes
Vancouver
samhoque wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:56 pm
May be there was no mention in the T&C for 5 different merchants last time.
There was. Had to be 5 different merchants. But as you mentioned someone got it at the same second cup location multiple times so it seems to be YMMV.
Jul 7, 2013
249 posts
371 upvotes
So delighted to open this thread only to find out it's not only the Sens that suck in Ottawa! Disappointed Face

Have fun all!

cheers,
:)
Aug 5, 2018
477 posts
622 upvotes
Great, let the games begin again.

Just like last time, many merchants listed on the map refuse to accept amex.

Even on the first day of the deal, I ran into 2 merchants listed on the map, where the employee refused to accept amex.
They wouldn't let me swipe the card, as most likely, the transaction will go through if I swiped.

They are literally robbing $5 away from me.

I reported some merchants during the last run, and they still showed up on the map this time.
Not sure if they'll still refuse if I visit them again this time around.

If they show up on the map the 2nd time, and still refuse amex, then Amex is clearly incompetent.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3970 posts
2838 upvotes
klamchowder wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:13 pm
So delighted to open this thread only to find out it's not only the Sens that suck in Ottawa! Disappointed Face

Have fun all!

cheers,
:)
Haha rough day for y'all eh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)