Ongoing Deal Discussion

American Express

Amex SimplyCash Preferred™ Card: 10% cashback welcome offer on first $4,000 spent + $100 statement credit (ymmv)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2024 5:02 pm
Jun 21, 2016
571 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto/Barcelona
I'm confused about this statement in the footnotes:
Funds advances, interest, fees, balance transfers, Amex cheques and charges for travellers cheques and foreign currencies are not purchases and do not earn cash back rewards.
... Are foreign transactions eligible for the 10% bonus CB promo rate? (i.e. can I apply for this card, and use it abroad within the first 4 months and still get 10% CB on my transactions abroad?)

TIA
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
3273 posts
5843 upvotes
Toronto
SoundlessWalker wrote: I'm confused about this statement in the footnotes:

... Are foreign transactions eligible for the 10% bonus CB promo rate? (i.e. can I apply for this card, and use it abroad within the first 4 months and still get 10% CB on my transactions abroad?)

TIA
I think so. but the 2.5% fee which is under (Amex charges for Foreign Currencies) won't have cash back. Wouldn't HSBC WEMC be the better choice here if you want to have foreign transactions?
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Did I read somewhere that people are getting more than 10% cash back?

I just received my first statement. $1,192.22 in purchases (excl $99 fee).

Received $23.84 base cash back + $95.38 bonus cash back = $119.22 total cash back.
Only one poster here said he got $80 base + $400 bonus cash backs on a $4000 spending. I asked him to show a screenshot of that purchase. he never did. So you can ignore that info.
Mar 31, 2020
309 posts
206 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
hackoder wrote: I just signed up for this card in August. I'll call to see if they can retroactively apply the offer, but wondering if anyone has already tried or knows if this is something they can do?
Yep, I got mine just under three months ago. Called and asked too. But no, we are not eligible for the new offer. I guess all other benefits of the card remain the same, though.
layowblue wrote: any minimum income requirement to qualify this card application?
My wife is at home taking care of kids, wondering if she can apply separately.
No, Amex - at least from what I have seen here in CA - does not post minimum income requirement. I guess the credit score should be "good".
FightingInternet wrote: First Amex for me, SCP, 3900 limit.
Yep, likewise. Got mine via Global Card Transfer. My "home" Amex credit limit is pretty good; but this one here - perhaps because its my first one here in CA - is just $3900.
vivibaby wrote: Got a call from an unknown number claiming to be american express. Did anyone receive one?
Yep, I got one too - when my Amex verification was taking place.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
First of all, you are not the same person who said he got $80 base + $400 bonus cash backs on a $4000 spending. second your screenshot just proves that the bonus was paid on max of $5000 spending, not $4000.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
There are many data points that bonus cashback is $400 total

Bonus cashback is 8% extra, so
$5,000 * 8% = $400 extra Cashback

On $5,000 spent:
$400 extra cashback
+ $100 regular cashback (2% * $5,000)

= $500 total cashback

I updated op, there are many data points you can spend $5,000 on this card to maximize bonus cashback.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
2086 posts
1077 upvotes
BC
cashinstinct wrote: There are many data points that bonus cashback is $400 total

Bonus cashback is 8% extra, so
$5,000 * 8% = $400 extra Cashback

On $5,000 spent:
$400 extra cashback
+ $100 regular cashback (2% * $5,000)

= $500 total cashback

I updated op, there are many data points you can spend $5,000 on this card to maximize bonus cashback.
thanks..
checking the $100 gc I bought..
I got $8 bonus and $2 base..
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
I got instantly approved but with $1000 credit limit. Can I transfer some CL from my other Amex cards?
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Does this card has trip cancellation protection?
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
82 wrote: Does this card has trip cancellation protection?
No.
Oct 9, 2019
497 posts
353 upvotes
What card can I use to self-refer to this card?
I have AMex Biz Plat and Amex Personal Plat cards. Can I use any of those to self-refer myself ?

Also, is there a list of referral possibilities for Amex cards which shows what cards can be referred to by which Amex cards?
Jun 21, 2016
571 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto/Barcelona
LarryT778370 wrote: I think so. but the 2.5% fee which is under (Amex charges for Foreign Currencies) won't have cash back. Wouldn't HSBC WEMC be the better choice here if you want to have foreign transactions?
I'm currently abroad so I think applying for the HSBC WE MC is going to be a bit of a hassle since there seems to be the common theme of people needing to go into a branch to verify ID and sometimes income as well :rolleyes: , making this card easier to apply for and have my brother activate for me then use via mobile wallet.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
Dealfiber wrote: What card can I use to self-refer to this card?
I have AMex Biz Plat and Amex Personal Plat cards. Can I use any of those to self-refer myself ?

Also, is there a list of referral possibilities for Amex cards which shows what cards can be referred to by which Amex cards?
https://princeoftravel.com/amex-flowchart/

You can’t self refer to this card unfortunately.

With amex shutdowns recently I would not self refer, I would suggest a second person which refers you and you refer him/her back and forth.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1542 posts
986 upvotes
Vancouver
SoundlessWalker wrote: Do you guys recommend ticking off and entering my existing Amex card info during application if I hold another Amex card currently? (Regular SC)
FYI, I had the regular SimplyCash card and applied with the checkbox ticked.

I had no problems getting my GCR cashback and was instantly approved as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
Dealfiber wrote: What card can I use to self-refer to this card?

cashinstinct wrote: You can’t self refer to this card unfortunately.

With amex shutdowns recently I would not self refer, I would suggest a second person which refers you and you refer him/her back and forth.
Clarity for @Dealfiber, with your Biz Platinum and Persaonal Platinum Membership Rewards charge cards, you cannot refer to the Simply Cash credit card product line. Turn the clock back 5 years, and there was a possibility but now those roads have been blocked off.

It is possible to self-refer to this SC Preferred card, if you have the SC basic/no-fee card, but as Cash mentioned, these days Auntie Amex has reigned in everyone's freedom in the playground, so it may be best to stick to cross-referring between family members/friends, instead going through the selfie route.

For most people, the sign-up for this SC Preferred card, through affilated GCR channel, with $60 cash back rebate, is the the best option. https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/det ... Preferred/

@cashinstinct, you should update your OP and Summary to reflect a more accurate date that the GCR $60 cash back rebate for this card became available again. You've marked it as Oct 08, but it actually re-appeared on or around Sep 11th, 2020 (see this post). In case people are missing the GCR rebate and come here to review the history.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
hdub8817 wrote: I got instantly approved but with $1000 credit limit. Can I transfer some CL from my other Amex cards?
If you have another Amex CREDIT card, yes. Examples: Cobalt, Edge, Bonvoy, Air Miles. Essential.

If your other Amex card are in the Membership Rewards CHARGE card family, then no.

If you call Amex and they won't offer to increase your limit then try the Doctor of Credit route, after 60 days, to increase it by 3X:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/increase ... ng-amount/
(old article, but still has recent datapoints that it works).
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)