Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex SimplyCash Preferred™ Card: 10% cashback welcome offer on first $5,000 spent) advertised as $4,000

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2020 9:28 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6932 posts
3242 upvotes
Montreal
junggoo wrote: Why November?

This is the reason:

If you apply now, you may have to pay the annual fee again in 2021. I don't like cutting these things close so I wouldn't apply in October either.
According to churningcanada reddit, one can get the annual cashback before paying annual fee next September.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6932 posts
3242 upvotes
Montreal
pauliaK wrote: Any chance AMEX would permit downgrading to a free version of this card after a year?
Édit : amex does not allow downgrades or product changes on most of their products

However, with this particular simply credit card, there is a report that you can keep credit history if you want the free version in one year.
Last edited by cashinstinct on Sep 2nd, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 24, 2007
882 posts
503 upvotes
Perfect timing as the new GPUs are coming out...
Apr 20, 2018
41 posts
25 upvotes
Chew300ZX wrote: GCR link offers $30 cashback and the same 10% offer from what I can see. Only promotes 5% cash back on all eligible purchases (up to $300 cash back) for the first 6 months of Cardmembership on the site but when you click it, it's the 10% offer.
Can't find this on GCR - I'm wondering if they just pulled it.
Sep 14, 2018
292 posts
434 upvotes
DrJones224 wrote: Can't find this on GCR - I'm wondering if they just pulled it.
Yeah they've updated it to $0 rebate.
Feb 12, 2020
214 posts
289 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote: According to churningcanada reddit, one can get the annual cashback before paying annual fee next September.
You're right it is suggested that it is the case but I cannot imagine how one can receive it before September.
Dec 3, 2009
283 posts
49 upvotes
Do people not know that if you cancel a card with cash back before the payout, they send you a check with that amount?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9323 posts
10883 upvotes
Vancouver
cashinstinct wrote: Amex does not allow downgrades or product changes, you won’t keep credit history, it will be a new card if you want the free version in one year.
Correct about no downgrades or product changes, but YMMV about credit history. My SC reports as having been opened in 1999, long before the card even existed. 1999 is when I opened my Amex Air Miles, which I closed after getting SC. Yes it was a new inquiry and hard hit, but Amex copied the credit history over.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1624 posts
1189 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Good point. Cash back is paid out annually in November. If you apply now, finish all your spending by November 2020, because any you earn after that you won't receive until November 2021; after you've paid the second year's annual fee.

Still not that hard for many of us to spend $4k in 2 months though.
On an AMEX, and in 2 months? Definitely a little harder.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9323 posts
10883 upvotes
Vancouver
cheapazn wrote: Do people not know that if you cancel a card with cash back before the payout, they send you a check with that amount?
Not true according to the cardholder agreement. Page 27: WHEN YOU MIGHT LOSE CASH BACK REWARDS PREVIOUSLY EARNED...When your card is cancelled, what happens to cash back rewards? Cash back rewards are lost.
If people have actually had cheques issued to payout cash back balance after canceling the card, they should consider themselves lucky.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1273 posts
566 upvotes
Vancouver
How do I get this offer if I already have a SimplyCash (non-preferred)? I don't see the offer using the upgrade option. So do I just sign up for a new card?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1623 posts
683 upvotes
Mississauga
I just signed up for this card in August. I'll call to see if they can retroactively apply the offer, but wondering if anyone has already tried or knows if this is something they can do?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9323 posts
10883 upvotes
Vancouver
hackoder wrote: I just signed up for this card in August. I'll call to see if they can retroactively apply the offer, but wondering if anyone has already tried or knows if this is something they can do?
How long ago in August? You have 14 days after opening to change your mind and get your AF back, by calling in and asking. You can then apply again.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1604 posts
443 upvotes
St. John's
DrJones224 wrote: Can't find this on GCR - I'm wondering if they just pulled it.
You're right, I still had the tab open. I pressed 'refresh' and it changed to zero :(

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

edgie007, Blessme3k, portraitofruin