Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

Free Marriott Bonvoy Platinum status + 125K Bonvoy Points - Bonvoy Brilliant (USA)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2021 12:58 pm
Mar 3, 2014
192 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
Only a good promotion for people who are already interested in the U.S credit card game. Other than that, likely not worth the effort and time.

U.S. Amex is also extremely strict on sign-up bonuses; be prepared to have your points clawback if you decide to cancel the card before the annual fee hits.
Credit Card Guru | Travel Points Consultant | Cruise Line & Disney Affiliated Travel Agent
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
PeterKnight wrote: Is there any way to register a US credit card *without* having to rely on an amerifriend or a mail forwarding service?

I would love to have a US-based credit card but I don't quite trust those mail forwarding services (some of them are using 'borrowed' addresses like laundromats/video rental stores). Also, if for any reason I'd have to provide information (ex. fraud, theft) to prove who I am, I wouldn't be able to provide with any proper documentation that matches the address on file.
Some banks like TD NA will mail it to your Canadian address.

No clue why AMEX won’t initially mail to a Canadian address, yet they have no problem on mailing replacement cards next day FedEx to me.
Sep 24, 2008
756 posts
355 upvotes
Oakville
oceans_end wrote: Some banks like TD NA will mail it to your Canadian address.

No clue why AMEX won’t initially mail to a Canadian address, yet they have no problem on mailing replacement cards next day FedEx to me.
Interesting...maybe I’ll send to my cousin in the states and rather than have her courier it up here, I’ll just ask for a replacement card shipped to Canada?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2019 upvotes
Ottawa
What's the best way to apply for the biz card? I heard you have to call in?
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
oceans_end wrote: Some banks like TD NA will mail it to your Canadian address.

How did you ask them to send it to Canada? Did you tell them you lost it?
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
hdub8817 wrote: How did you ask them to send it to Canada? Did you tell them you lost it?
I actually did lose it, so needed a replacement.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
rfdjugaad wrote: In that case I would take both the cards immediately (as in this month) so that you get 15 Extra (or 30 if you dont have any Bonvoy cards) this year + another 30 EQN next year - so net 45 / 60 EQN for say 250ish USD net cost. You get 200K points and you can easily use the marriott credits.

If i were you, i will jump on it.
Clueless here about hotel rewards but trying to learn... What exactly is EQN? It doesn't really sound like a free night, but didn't really see what exactly it stood for... Also, for the points, do you use this to see how many points each hotel uses: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem ... -nights.mi

When you redeem, is it actually free or hotel taxes and whatever fee not included and paid seperately... sorry, just trying to learn more and see if it fits my purposes since I do like the Bonvoy brands...
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
ktkn wrote: Clueless here about hotel rewards but trying to learn... What exactly is EQN? It doesn't really sound like a free night, but didn't really see what exactly it stood for... Also, for the points, do you use this to see how many points each hotel uses: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem ... -nights.mi

When you redeem, is it actually free or hotel taxes and whatever fee not included and paid seperately... sorry, just trying to learn more and see if it fits my purposes since I do like the Bonvoy brands...
EQN = Elite Qualifying Night (a night credit for earning status)

Free night covers most taxes - only a very few such as $7 city tax in Venice are not covered. Also does not cover resort fees and parking.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
Ok, so is the EQN game for people basically trying to achieve the yearly status that resets every year, and the lifetime status? The EQN doesn't actually give you free nights but just gives you "credits" for this desired level (platinum). Once achieved, other than the benefits listed on the site, like late checkout etc, the main advantage is a higher % of points when booking. Does that sound about right? The EQN doesn't sound like it's too worthwhile for somebody who gets the card and uses it for the free night or collects the credit card points via regular purchases and spends their points that way.

Does the free night expire within the year issued? Can you accumulate the free nights for a longer duration? If you had the credit card for 3 years, and get 3 free nights from those 3 years, can you use them all at once or does each night expire at some point?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks to anybody/everybody is helping out.. I do appreciate it =)

*edit* 1 more question... if you had 2 USD credit cards (15 EQN each) and then the CAD Bonvoy card (15 EQN).. I think I read it won't stack. The 2 USD ones would stack, then what would happen to the CAD one? You just don't get it?
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
ktkn wrote: Ok, so is the EQN game for people basically trying to achieve the yearly status that resets every year, and the lifetime status? The EQN doesn't actually give you free nights but just gives you "credits" for this desired level (platinum). Once achieved, other than the benefits listed on the site, like late checkout etc, the main advantage is a higher % of points when booking. Does that sound about right? The EQN doesn't sound like it's too worthwhile for somebody who gets the card and uses it for the free night or collects the credit card points via regular purchases and spends their points that way.

Does the free night expire within the year issued? Can you accumulate the free nights for a longer duration? If you had the credit card for 3 years, and get 3 free nights from those 3 years, can you use them all at once or does each night expire at some point?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks to anybody/everybody is helping out.. I do appreciate it =)

*edit* 1 more question... if you had 2 USD credit cards (15 EQN each) and then the CAD Bonvoy card (15 EQN).. I think I read it won't stack. The 2 USD ones would stack, then what would happen to the CAD one? You just don't get it?
Paragraph 1 (EQN) : all correct.
Paragraph 2 (Free Night Cert): Expires after 1 year - has been possible to extend for 1 more year, but not guaranteed.
US / Cdn cards: no additional credit for the Cdn card if you have 1 or 2 US cards.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
joeags wrote: Paragraph 1 (EQN) : all correct.
Paragraph 2 (Free Night Cert): Expires after 1 year - has been possible to extend for 1 more year, but not guaranteed.
US / Cdn cards: no additional credit for the Cdn card if you have 1 or 2 US cards.
If you have the Business Bonvoy CAD Amex and the regular (non business) CAD Amex, that would also stack correct? the 2 CAD Bonvoy amexs would give you 15 each, so 30 EQN total per year that you have the card.

The main advantage of the of the USD versions is that they have the 1 year platinum free.. and that year would also contribute to the lifetime status?

Thanks for all the help.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
1212 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
ktkn wrote: If you have the Business Bonvoy CAD Amex and the regular (non business) CAD Amex, that would also stack correct? the 2 CAD Bonvoy amexs would give you 15 each, so 30 EQN total per year that you have the card.

The main advantage of the of the USD versions is that they have the 1 year platinum free.. and that year would also contribute to the lifetime status?

Thanks for all the help.
Incorrect.

EQN stacking is only for US cards.
Apr 1, 2010
289 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
rfdjugaad wrote: $450USD annual fee ($300 Marriott statement credit + 1 free night) - effectively making the card a no brainer
Sorry if this is a silly question, how do you earn the statement credit? You just receive $300 credit on your first bill no questions asked? When I look at the terms page on their website:

$300 Marriott Bonvoy Statement Credit
During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at hotels and timeshare ownership properties participating in Marriott Bonvoy on your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date."

This reads like you have to spend at their hotels, but no specifics. Thanks in advance.
Jan 26, 2020
220 posts
176 upvotes
This is not good card if you travel. Look at crappy travel insurance. Don’t offer trip interruption /delay. Deny trip cancellation. Get any other travel card..

Platinum status at Marriott is useless anyways.. it used to be better with. Sheraton , alternatively combination of Hilton gold/diamond, elite status with Wyndham, and jade shengri la — is better option if you travel and stay frequently.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
It is my understanding US Amex gives out only one lifetime bonus.

Is this still good card to get or is US Platinum better?

I think Bonvoy Brilliant can be converted to no fee card to preserve your US history.

Are Bonvoy points even worth it anymore? I have done a few searches and I can barely get 1 cent/ 1 BV point
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7371 posts
9175 upvotes
Montreal
EDL67134234 wrote: It is my understanding US Amex gives out only one lifetime bonus.

Is this still good card to get or is US Platinum better?

I think Bonvoy Brilliant can be converted to no fee card to preserve your US history.

Are Bonvoy points even worth it anymore? I have done a few searches and I can barely get 1 cent/ 1 BV point
Correct, only one bonus per card in a lifetime.

They are both good offers, so it's up to you to decide, depending on how many of the credit you can use, how you value MR vs. Bonvoy points, and what you value all the perks of each card (free night certificate, Bonvoy Platinum, Centurion lounge access, etc.). There are a number of Platinum offers floating around. If you can use all the credits on the Platinum card, that typically would be a better deal.

No, the Bonvoy Brilliant cannot be downgraded to a no-AF card. The best you can do is to downgrade to the basic Bonvoy card which has a $95 AF.
Jan 24, 2015
254 posts
96 upvotes
York, ON
rfdjugaad wrote: Canadian BV gives 15 EQN. Only US Bonvoy EQN stack to make it 30. Hence I don't really hold canadian bonvoy cards these days but hold both US Bonvoy cards as they provide significantly better value.

To summarize

Canadian Pers + Canadian Biz = 15 EQN
Canadian (Pers/Biz) + US Card (Pers / Biz) = 15 EQN
US Pers + US Biz = 30 EQN
Has this change at all since your post? I’m trying to get Plat this year and 15 EQN would help a lot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)