Credit Cards

American Express Green Card (Formerly: The Choice Card)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2021 11:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 3, 2019
742 posts
347 upvotes

American Express Green Card (Formerly: The Choice Card)

[Updated: July 5, 2021]

We are excited to share that effective August 16, 2021 the Choice Card from American Express is changing to the NEW American Express Green Card with enhanced benefits and the same ability to earn Membership Rewards® points with no annual
fee.

With the NEW American Express Green Card, Cardmembers can continue to take advantage of the Membership Rewards program and get rewarded for virtually everything purchased with new Card.

For an overview of the benefits associated with the American Express Green Card, please see below:

• Cardmembers will continue to earn 1 Membership Rewards point for every $1 in eligible Card purchases and enjoy the same great Amex benefits that exist on their Card today.
  • Cardmembers points can go even further than before and now you can redeem fewer points for statement credits. Prior to May 31, 2021, Cardmembers could redeem 1,000 points for a $10 credit for eligible travel purchases or 1,000 points for a $7 credit for all other eligible purchases. Now Cardmembers can redeem 1,000 points for a $10 credit for all eligible purchases.
  • Membership Rewards Select Tier Cardmembers will now have the new option to transfer points to airline frequent flyer programs.
  • Cardmembers will be able to enjoy two complimentary insurances on their Card – the Buyer’s Assurance® Protection Plan and the Purchase Protection® Plan.
  • With American Express® Experiences and Front Of The Line®, Cardmembers can get access to premium virtual content including, dining, retail, wellness and entertainment and can also enjoy presale ticket access to some of the most in-demand concerts, theatre productions, dining events and more in Canada.
  • Throughout the year, Amex Cardmembers can also receive a variety of Amex Offers for special online and in-store shopping deals at top retailers across the country.

As a part of our commitment to sustainability, the NEW American Express Green Card has been created using 99% recycled plastic. Cardmembers will receive the NEW American Express Green Card once their current Choice Card expires.

-------------------------------------

[Original Post]

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... ChoiceCard

Looks like this no annual fee card was launched today.

Welcome bonus: 10,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $1,000 in the first three months.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 5th, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated post content
120 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3240 posts
882 upvotes
F3el96 wrote: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... ChoiceCard

Looks like this no annual fee card was launched today.

Welcome bonus: 10,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $1,000 in the first three months.
Not sure why you would choose this card over Amex SimplyCash. Seems to me benefits are not as good as that one for a no-annual fee card.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1536 posts
1773 upvotes
I too was wondering about that, it seems as though the SimplyCash would be better. Do the MR points yield a greater value than the 1.25% cashback?
🏦 Banking: Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees), Alterna Bank (0.9%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: MBNA Rewards World Elite (5.5pts dine/utilities, 1.1pts rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, forex)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1739 posts
2752 upvotes
Canada, eh?
joshnet wrote: I too was wondering about that, it seems as though the SimplyCash would be better. Do the MR points yield a greater value than the 1.25% cashback?
Not really. So I really don't see the point of this card?

(Eligible travel purchases: 1,000 points = $10 statement credit. All other eligible purchases: 1,000 points = $7 statement credit).
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10711 posts
5723 upvotes
Markham
agent86 wrote: Not sure why you would choose this card over Amex SimplyCash. Seems to me benefits are not as good as that one for a no-annual fee card.
Might be for the people who are not qualified for SCP but want an amex?

After shut down people, gonna find a way to grow
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2298 posts
3631 upvotes
BC
A no-fee card to park MR points and maintain long-term history is great. I wonder if Amex will allow downgrades to this card from Gold or Platinum. I know they've let some people downgrade from Plat to Gold.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4268 posts
5448 upvotes
Montreal
rhw123 wrote: A no-fee card to park MR points and maintain long-term history is great. I wonder if Amex will allow downgrades to this card from Gold or Platinum. I know they've let some people downgrade from Plat to Gold.
As far as I can tell, the card earns MR Choice (as opposed to MR or MR-S), which is a lower tier than MR-S, so you can't really park MR (or even MR-S) points.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-ca/r ... geid=en_ca

EDIT: Looks like it earns MR-S, not MR Choice points
Jan 29, 2013
99 posts
58 upvotes
Is this really a new card? I swear this has been around forever...

For example, the Choice Card was referenced here months ago. As well, I don't see any relevant news releases. I wonder if some blog is trying to generate a few cheap views by highlighting this "new" card...
May 16, 2008
130 posts
55 upvotes
The real question here that noone has asked: which cards can refer to it?
Apr 18, 2004
173 posts
122 upvotes
AJchang wrote: Is this really a new card? I swear this has been around forever...

For example, the Choice Card was referenced here months ago. As well, I don't see any relevant news releases. I wonder if some blog is trying to generate a few cheap views by highlighting this "new" card...
I believe it will be officially announced in the coming days and then be covered on blogs other than mine.. It only came up today on Amex's site for new applications and looks to be a new version of the Choice card(s) from many many years ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2298 posts
3631 upvotes
BC
If the points can be transferred to Marriott (and through Marriott, to a large number of FF programs) I can see it being useful as a no-fee keeper card that will allow me to generate some activity (and avoid expiration) in some of the less accessible FF programs while not holding any other MR(-S)-earning Amex cards.
Feb 12, 2020
344 posts
509 upvotes
For the folks that have not been amexiled and have no AMEX cards, I guess it's a card you can get AMEX offers on? I doubt that this card qualifies for many good offers but considering the data points on folks not getting offers on their platinum and stuff it'd be unsurprising if this card got offers from time to time.

I could use this card for the amazon credit and shop small credit from year to year.

Did the SC card get Amex offers?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12179 posts
15268 upvotes
Vancouver
AJchang wrote: Is this really a new card? I swear this has been around forever...

Yes the Choice card was introduced 8 years ago, applications were open for a few years until Simply Cash was introduced. Choice was then grandfathered. It was always a garbage card; I’m very surprised to see that applications for it are open again.

Used to be 1MR per dollar at 5 merchants of your choice, and 0.5MR elsewhere. Now it’s 1/$1 everywhere.

Original thread: new-american-express-cards-choice-choice-plus-1252991/
Feb 18, 2018
25 posts
16 upvotes
I suppose it would be a placeholder option for someone who has a MR-S balance from the Cobalt Card but no longer wants to pay the (monthly) fee.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8563 posts
9295 upvotes
The Prairies
themob34 wrote: The real question here that noone has asked: which cards can refer to it?
The real question is, who the hell would want to be referred to it.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1018 posts
379 upvotes
Windsor, ON
They seem to be sticking to the points system which makes it look like you are getting 1% back when in reality it is 0.7% sadly, reason I cancelled cobalt flat cashback will always yield highest returns to those not traveling those that do travel will see highest value when redeeming for flights