Hot Deals

American Express

Marriott Bonvoy Personal Card, 80k Points (65k on $5k in 3 months + 15k points on a purchase between months 14-17)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2023 5:24 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 17, 2009
559 posts
354 upvotes

[American Express] Marriott Bonvoy Personal Card, 80k Points (65k on $5k in 3 months + 15k points on a purchase between months 14-17)

Very good offer for a keeper card. Kind of a high initial spend but getting any bonus is just a cherry on top IMO.
55 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2003
3227 posts
906 upvotes
Alberta
I do not find much value from Bonvoy these days

It’s still probably the best hotel program, but that’s a pretty low bar
Member
Oct 6, 2018
481 posts
691 upvotes
You have to keep this card for over a year to get the full welcome bonus.

65,000 points after charging $5,000 in first 3 months

15,000 points when you charge the card 14-17 months in
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 17, 2009
559 posts
354 upvotes
Chipppy wrote: You have to keep this card for over a year to get the full welcome bonus.

65,000 points after charging $5,000 in first 3 months

15,000 points when you charge the card 14-17 months in
Correct, however it's a great keeper card because of the free night every year.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 17, 2009
559 posts
354 upvotes
ricedion wrote: It's 50k not 5000
This seems to be better offer than OP
I wouldn't say so.

Like I said, the Bonvoy is a keeper card because you get the free night every year.

The advantage of that offer is ~$600 of value on $1500 spend whereas this current offer is $800 of value on $5000 spend. If you have the ability to spend, then I'd go with the more points personally.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13401 posts
8763 upvotes
Markham
rohit91 wrote: I wouldn't say so.

Like I said, the Bonvoy is a keeper card because you get the free night every year.

The advantage of that offer is ~$600 of value on $1500 spend whereas this current offer is $800 of value on $5000 spend. If you have the ability to spend, then I'd go with the more points personally.
Spend 1500 to get 600, ROI=600/1500=40%

Spend 5000 to get 800, ROI=800/5000=16%
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 17, 2009
559 posts
354 upvotes
Indeed, but if you have the spend available and nothing else going on it's better to go for absolute value. Anyways, it's good for all to have both options available in this thread to choose from.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2384 posts
1001 upvotes
DDR wrote: Are they stackable, so $60 (cashback) + $100 (statement credit)? If not, then the $100 statement credit sounded like a better deal.
I doubt they are stackable. GCR's welcome offer is 50000 bonvoy points without the $100 statement credit. If you're planning on keeping the card past the first year and can spend the $5000, 80000 bonvoy points is technically a better deal over 50000 bonvoy points and a $100 statement credit. Even if Bonvoy points have been devalued over the past year, 30000 bonvoy points can still easily get you a $300 hotel room. I even know of one $550/night Ritz Carlton in Europe that is still 30000 points/night

I'm platinum with Bonvoy and keep both this personal card and the business card just for the free anniversary night award on each
Member
Sep 30, 2006
362 posts
122 upvotes
Scarborough
DDR wrote: Are they stackable, so $60 (cashback) + $100 (statement credit)? If not, then the $100 statement credit sounded like a better deal.
Ah, didn't notice there's no additional $100 credit ..
Nice catch!
Then I agree, better with the credit, it's also direct versus over GCR
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 2, 2002
1712 posts
507 upvotes
The problem with this card is using it at Marriott properties outside of Canada. With the FX fee and Amex’s slightly poorer exchange rates, you’re paying an additional 3% on your hotel stay negating most of the 5 bonvoy points per dollar you get. Compared to other cards that have no fee and give you back 3 or 4% back on travel (HSBC/Scotia).

If you use the card just on Canadian hotels or just for the free nights/bonus, then it’s good keeper card.
Sr. Member
Sep 19, 2005
766 posts
794 upvotes
really hard to spend $5k on canadian marriott hotels in short order...
would the refundable hotel trick work on this? i.e. if i put on the $5k this month, get the bonus deposited to my bonvoy account next month after statement date, and then i refund the $5k charge, do they claw back the points from my bonvoy account, or would i keep those points, but have this card account showing a negative point balance that i can slowly climb out of over the course of the year?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47834 posts
8566 upvotes
Richmond Hill
madknife wrote: really hard to spend $5k on canadian marriott hotels in short order...
would the refundable hotel trick work on this? i.e. if i put on the $5k this month, get the bonus deposited to my bonvoy account next month after statement date, and then i refund the $5k charge, do they claw back the points from my bonvoy account, or would i keep those points, but have this card account showing a negative point balance that i can slowly climb out of over the course of the year?
It's a credit card - you can spend it wherever you want. Not just at Marriott.
Sr. Member
Aug 20, 2006
848 posts
157 upvotes
I cancelled this card four years ago, don't know if I will be considered as as new customer if I apply this card again.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1702 posts
1071 upvotes
Calgary
Where do you spend 5k on Amex in Canada? It won't be easy!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1674 posts
1068 upvotes
TORONTO
adot111 wrote: I cancelled this card four years ago, don't know if I will be considered as as new customer if I apply this card again.
The terms say "This offer is only available to new Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Cardmembers (‘Cardmembers’). For current or former Marriott Bonvoy American Express Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus."

YMMV
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
11416 posts
4824 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Where do you spend 5k on Amex in Canada? It won't be easy!
It very easy, this is not 10 years ago. Amex is taken at most places now. That being said,
I personally would wait for a better offer in the spring, summer if you can. The $5000 spend really kills the deal.

Edit: I did a spend of $5000 USD in 2 months for the Amex US Bonvoy. Yes, 50% was travel related but the rest was bill payments, expenses etc.

Top