Expired Hot Deals

[American Express Membership Rewards] American Express Membership Rewards - 25% off on all Sony products

[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
596 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto

American Express Membership Rewards - 25% off on all Sony products

Deal Link:
Savings:
25%
Expiry:
June 9, 2019
Retailer:
American Express Membership Rewards
For those who collect Amex reward points, they currently have 25% discount on all Sony products.
I am thinking of getting the Sony Noise cancellation at 45,000 points (discounted from 60,000)

SAVE 25% when you redeem points on all
Sony products from May 27 – June 9, 2019!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1794 posts
10197 upvotes
Just because you got an email about it, doesn't make it a hot deal.

45,000 points is worth $450 as a statement credit, so the item should cost significantly more than that to be a good redemption.

Those noise cancelling headphones you're pointing out are older (from 2016/2017), and even back then went on sale for $349.99:

Jul 10, 2007
411 posts
304 upvotes
@Leverage really good explanation of why something isn’t a good deal. Too often there is just a downvote, but no learning. Kudos.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2016 posts
645 upvotes
With Amex Cobalt.. don't see an option to put it towards my statement at that rate anywhere. How is this done?

Redeem points for purchases with the AMEX Cobalt card. Use a minimum of 1,000 points for a $7 statement credit toward any purchase made with the card within the past 90 days
Nov 13, 2003
179 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Vietlord wrote: With Amex Cobalt.. don't see an option to put it towards my statement at that rate anywhere. How is this done?
You should see a box on the right that says "Use points for purchases" and go from there.

BTW, I believe the NC headphones available for redemption is a WH-1000XM3 (3rd gen model from late last year) based on the accent mic next to the ear piece, not the 2nd gen (2017) model.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3857 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
Generally if you are using a CC that collect points, the best deals are GC or if possible use on purchases. That's generally where you get the most values because items you can redeem for often go on sale. In the case of headphones, 25% off really isnt much for most headphones due to the inflated MSRP prices. Also 1000x are apparently the same as these (repackaged/re-released)

https://www.costco.ca/Sony-WH-H900NBDC- ... 16523.html

$250 regular price at costco and was on sale a few months ago at i think $200 (pretty sure it was $50 off but i could be wrong). I say apparently because that's what everyone was speculating when they were on sale (honestly i got no idea).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4077 posts
3498 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Paigne wrote: Generally if you are using a CC that collect points, the best deals are GC or if possible use on purchases.
No, the best deals are travel, especially business/first class flights.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3857 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
rugerty100 wrote: No, the best deals are travel, especially business/first class flights.
Suppose you're right there but i rarely use points to travel... mostly since the CC i use are always cash back versions... (or PC pts).

In the past with TD travel visa (last card i had that was travel but discontinued i think), i just redeem'd on gas.
Jul 14, 2014
171 posts
431 upvotes
Markham
Anyone not using mr points and interested in selling them, please pm me
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2070 posts
420 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
zaibii786 wrote: Anyone not using mr points and interested in selling them, please pm me
How exactly does that work?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2088 posts
969 upvotes
Ontario
I am not very impressed with AMEX rewards because more often than not it is more expensive to book flights or hotels for identical itinerary using points. I know some will say that it is free but it still sucks. I like those cards that let you book and pay for the flight or hotel as you choose, then you get a statement credit to offset the travel costs.
Currently happy customer with Telus and Freedom Mobile
Dec 16, 2012
223 posts
109 upvotes
GTA
Poutinesauce wrote: Only idiots redeem for any physical merchandise with credit card points.
There is no need to be this harsh. Do you feel superior than those so called idiots? Educate over hate
Feb 22, 2009
5 posts
2 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote: I am not very impressed with AMEX rewards because more often than not it is more expensive to book flights or hotels for identical itinerary using points. I know some will say that it is free but it still sucks. I like those cards that let you book and pay for the flight or hotel as you choose, then you get a statement credit to offset the travel costs.
You are describing precisely how Amex Membership points can work. You can apply them as a statement credit at any time.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2088 posts
969 upvotes
Ontario
broncinbuck wrote: You are describing precisely how Amex Membership points can work. You can apply them as a statement credit at any time.
I thought I had to book thru AMEX travel and apply the points, no?
Feb 22, 2009
5 posts
2 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote: I thought I had to book thru AMEX travel and apply the points, no?
No, there is a pay with points option that allows you to credit purchases with your points 1000 point=$10. Doesn’t have to even be travel related purchases.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2088 posts
969 upvotes
Ontario
broncinbuck wrote: No, there is a pay with points option that allows you to credit purchases with your points 1000 point=$10. Doesn’t have to even be travel related purchases.
Thanks for your post that is extremely helpful, I have had this card with over 60k points for sometime now, I always thought that I could only use the points by booking travel thru AMEX, it is worth noting though that for non travel related purchases 1000 points are worth $7 only. Thanks again and thanked.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4077 posts
3498 upvotes
Richmond Hill
broncinbuck wrote: No, there is a pay with points option that allows you to credit purchases with your points 1000 point=$10. Doesn’t have to even be travel related purchases.
IIRC, the 1000 points = $10 for any purchase is limited to the biz plat.