Expired Hot Deals

American Express

Platinum Hot - American Express Business Platinum - Free after credits $499.99 value

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 7:35 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2020
833 posts
3760 upvotes

[American Express] Platinum Hot - American Express Business Platinum - Free after credits $499.99 value

Credit Card PLATINUM HOT Credit Card

This is Not a new method but with $100 from GreatCanadianRebates, this makes it worthwhile and very likely FREE for most people.

1 - Apply for American Express Business Platinum Card
Option 1 : GreatCanadian Rebate (Get $100 back via Paypal)
https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/det ... -Platinum/
(Advanced Trick: Apply for Spouse or Friend and have them refer you to Great Canadian Rebates. They will get $15 and you will get your $100.)

Option 2 : Apply Directly with American Express (You get your Welcome Bonus)
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... inum-card/

2 - You have 3 months to spend $ 7,000 (The counter starts when you are approved. )
(If you can't spend $7,000 in 3 months, consider giftcards that you can use later)

You would now have 50,000 points (Welcome Bonus) and 8,750 points (for spending $7,000)
for Total of 58,750 points.

3- Use the Points for a Statement Credit. You can use 58,750 points to receive an American Express Statement Credit
of $ 587.50 (And unlike the Gold Card or others, the Statement Credit can be on Anything, not just Travel expenses.)
+ $ 100 (Great Canadian Rebates)
= $ 687.50

The Annual Fee = $ 499.99

So you net: $ 187.51

Amex.jpg
Last edited by MrDisco on Oct 8th, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: no referral links
28 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13356 posts
24885 upvotes
Option 2 : Ask someone from RFD to Refer you to Amex (They will get a Bonus and you get your Welcome Bonus.)
Not a good idea , against rules
[OP]
Aug 13, 2020
833 posts
3760 upvotes
stephroll wrote: Not a good idea , against rules
Thank you Atephroll , I removed:
Option 2 : Ask someone from RFD to Refer you to Amex (They will get a Bonus and you get your Welcome Bonus.)
I honestly thought it was OK to ask for a referral but not OK to post a link.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
6415 posts
6001 upvotes
Vancouver
IslandDeal wrote: Thank you Atephroll , I removed:
I honestly thought it was OK to ask for a referral but not OK to post a link.
It's not ok with AMEX either. Referrals must come from people you know.

Ron.
Nov 12, 2019
252 posts
875 upvotes
newfbc wrote: It's not ok with AMEX either. Referrals must come from people you know.

Ron.
Hi Ron, I'm Nick. Nice to meet you.

Now we know each other ;)
Oct 31, 2012
968 posts
1757 upvotes
Berczy Park
n1ckt0 wrote: Hi Ron, I'm Nick. Nice to meet you.

Now we know each other ;)
I feel like this is the same with "amazing limited time sales" from airlines. The more you put this in the open that you know you are gaming the system/ knowing it is something that shouldn't be, the easier time they have not honoring it.
Oct 24, 2011
918 posts
460 upvotes
I don't understand how this is "Free"
You pay $499 to get that 75000 points, not to redeem.
Why would you even use that much point to use toward to statement? that's a waste man.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3378 posts
2455 upvotes
GTA
IslandDeal wrote: BONUS MOVE:

Once you get the Card, Refer your Spouse, Friend and RFD Colleagues.
Real bonus move, once you get it create a PLATINUM HOT DEALS THREAD on RFD and pretend this is something once-in-a-lifetime deal and hoping suckers will use your referee to earn 25K more points per
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16593 posts
4810 upvotes
Scarberia
not as hot as the pers plat back in june! that was much hotter deal, can't remember the specifics lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Nov 12, 2019
252 posts
875 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: not as hot as the pers plat back in june! that was much hotter deal, can't remember the specifics lol
Still not as hot as CP a few years ago
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
6415 posts
6001 upvotes
Vancouver
n1ckt0 wrote: Still not as hot as CP a few years ago
CP was ultra hot if you got the 'bonus'. :)

Ron.
Mar 19, 2019
152 posts
98 upvotes
Quebec
I checked my Pers Plat. this morning and it's now 1000MR = 7$ so I was to call bullshit but my Biz Plat still shows 1000MR=10$.
Fido 30$ 15GB Unlimited / FIdo 35$ 9GB Unlimited
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2219 posts
4785 upvotes
Markham
AMEX has been coming down hard on "gamers" (e.g. people who play these referral games, or manufactured spend), so all these tricks could potentially get the person banned from all AMEX products forever. AMEX also happens to be one of the best when it comes to travel rewards so risking a blacklist from them isn't really a good idea imo.

Also, I cry for anyone who actually wastes all those points on statement credit... Just get a cashback card then with 10% cash back or something.
Apr 16, 2015
562 posts
834 upvotes
Why bother with GCR? Just get an amex referral from someone and you get 75,000 MR + 8750 for min. spend = $837 statement credit - $499 = $338
Mar 10, 2011
9 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Cold deal. You should always net positive on credit card sign up bonuses after annual fees. The spend requirement not justified for the net positive here. Plenty of better options. Keep in mind it's not really "free" as your credit is being pulled
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12266 posts
2427 upvotes
Mississauga
mikka2017 wrote: not as hot as the pers plat back in june! that was much hotter deal, can't remember the specifics lol
There was a really good Amex Personal Platinum offer in October 2019 that a lot of RFDers, myself included, jumped on. I managed to use some of its travel benefits before the world went to hell.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2885 posts
671 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
YannF39839 wrote: I checked my Pers Plat. this morning and it's now 1000MR = 7$ so I was to call bullshit but my Biz Plat still shows 1000MR=10$.
when did that change? I thought we had until December to redeem under the 1000MR = $10 promo. Guess I might just have to transfer out my MR to another program before my card renews.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2020
833 posts
3760 upvotes
ESJExplorer wrote: I don't understand how this is "Free"
You pay $499 to get that 75000 points, not to redeem.
Why would you even use that much point to use toward to statement? that's a waste man.
I agree, a statement credit is a waste of points, especially compared to something like an Aeroplan business class redemption on Swiss, EVA or Turkish.

But a lot of my friends and family hate paying annual fees on Credit Cards, so this method works for some of them. I really love this card as I find the Personal Platinum has been devalued for "day to day spending" when they added "Categories."

Pros of the Business Platinum:
-Medical insurance, even if you don't use the card
-Travel, lost luggage, flight delay insurance that is actually worthwhile
-Instant Gold with Marriot and others
-Lounge access in Canada and around the world
-Lost or broken item purchase protection
-Airport VIP security at YYZ
-Priority, on shore Toll Free: 1 800 263 1616 (You can use it with other amex cards but you only get the HV Queue ("High Value") if you have a Plat or Business Plat.)
-Annual fee refunds are pro-rated
- If you live in Toronto or Montreal and you can't get into a restaurant, your concierge will try to get you a table by calling the merchant on your behalf.
- Fine dining extra perks

Cons:
-Not accepted everywhere. (IE: small stores)
-They do not allow you to change cards or products without a credit check like Visa/MC. (The only exception is for going from Gold to Platinum.)
-They never waive the annual fees, even if you have multiple cards.

Neutral:
-Not a real credit card (This is a charge card)
It is like a credit card except there is NO minimum payment (The entire amount is due every month.)
It doesn't hit your Credit Bureau the same way as a Credit Card. (IE: High Loan Value fluctuates)
- 2 for 1 first class ticket
This is Terrible value but if you have to fly first class on a full fare ticket, bring a friend for free
Last edited by IslandDeal on Oct 8th, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 16, 2015
562 posts
834 upvotes
IslandDeal wrote:
Cons:
-Not a real credit card (This is a charge card, it is like a credit card except there is NO minimum payment, the entire amount is due every month.)
That's not a con. That's what keeps people from going into thousands of dollars of credit card debt paying 20% interest. Winking Face