Vancouver

[American Express] Redeem MR points for 1¢ / 2¢ each on all purchases

Deal Link:
Expiry:
September 30, 2020
Retailer:
American Express
More offers from American Express
Just in: Amex Use Points for Purchases is boosting MR point redemptions on non-travel purchases, which normally redeem at 0.7¢/point. Now:

Cobalt and Gold: 1¢/point
Platinum: 2¢/point

Minimum 1,000 point ($10/$20) redemption amount still applies.
Last edited by Kiraly on Apr 23rd, 2020 11:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
113 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4567 posts
1494 upvotes
Winnipeg
Good deal.

Also noticed Amex Preaid Cards are on sale for the same redemption value (1000pts = $10)

Funds do not expire, cannot be used at ATM, NO monthly/maintenance fees etc
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 1.52.49 PM.png
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7720 posts
8439 upvotes
Vancouver
Nice find on the prepaid cards! Little-known fact about Amex prepaid cards: 0% FX rate.
EDIT: Not sure that's the case anymore. Amex has offloaded its retail prepaid cards to People's Trust, who charge 2.5% FX rate. I don't know if what you redeem MR points for will be the new People's Trust cards or Amex's own prepaid cards, which offered 0% FX.
Dec 29, 2012
968 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Do point redemptions count against minimum spend requirements?
Dec 13, 2016
184 posts
74 upvotes
Hmmm.... is this the excuse I need to buy new golf clubs.....hmmmm.....

"honey they we're basically free!!"
Dec 13, 2016
184 posts
74 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: Do point redemptions count against minimum spend requirements?
No, but you can always redeem your points against a different spend of equal or greater value, which will essentially 'cover the cost' of the annual fee.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
8409 posts
6247 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Thanks OP! Just redeemed my points balance.
I have Cobalt.
Last edited by DragonRider on Apr 21st, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 5, 2007
224 posts
38 upvotes
Wow thanks op, I’ve been holding to something 150k points hoping to travel somewhere, but I don’t think I’ll be flying anytime soon and I just got renewed again

If i can get my membership fee back then I’m gonna cash out
Jul 26, 2018
782 posts
927 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Received the email for the point redemption adjustment just now. Looks like earnings AND redemption has also been doubled for Platinum cards

1000 MR = $20.
Double Rewards: Double the points. Double the value.

Why Double Rewards?
In these challenging times, some Platinum benefits may prove more valuable than ever before. But what about enhanced ‘everyday’ value?

One important Platinum benefit is Membership Rewards® points – where you earn points for virtually every $1 you spend. To ‘double down’ on this aspect of everyday Platinum value, we’re introducing Double Rewards: earn double the points, enjoy double the value – available from April 21 until July 20, 2020.

Earn Double the Points
Through Double Rewards, over the next three months, you will earn double rewards points on all your spend: any retailer, anywhere and anytime*. Food delivery. Check. Online retailers. Check. Streaming services. Check.

Enjoy Double the Value
Additionally, if you choose to pay (or partially pay) for any purchase charged to your Platinum Card with points – through the Use Points for Purchases program – you’ll enjoy twice the value.

Use Points for Purchases gives you the freedom to pay for almost any purchase charged to your Card with points – and now they will go twice as far**. From streaming movies to ordering groceries – it’s easy. Simply select a purchase on the Amex App or your online statement and opt to pay with points.

We hope that Double Rewards will provide extra value in these challenging times.
Lisa G Kalhans

President and CEO, Amex Bank of Canada

*You will earn three additional points for each dollar charged at restaurants, quick service restaurants, coffee shops and drinking establishments in Canada (for a total of six points). You will earn two additional points for each dollar spent on travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales, but not including local and commuter transportation (for a total of four points). You will earn one additional point for each dollar spent when the merchant code is not in an eligible category, using a payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone or online retailer that sells goods of other merchants or the merchant category is otherwise not identified (for a total of two points). Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do not include annual fees, interest charges, other fees, and cash equivalent transactions. Points will typically be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 5 days after an eligible purchase you made is posted to your account. Additional terms and restrictions apply.

**The value of your Membership Rewards points when redeemed for the Use Points for Purchases option will automatically double per point for the period of the offer. From April 21st until July 20th, 2020, when you redeem points under the Use Points for Purchases program, each 1,000 points = $20 statement credit for both travel and all other eligible purchases charged to the Card.
Last edited by secretalcoholic on Apr 21st, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2012
968 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Received the email for the point redemption adjustment just now. Looks like earnings AND redemption has also been doubled.

1000 MR = $20.
Anyone geta similar email for cobalt?
Sep 14, 2018
129 posts
122 upvotes
Vancouver
LarryT778370 wrote: I guess no one will do the AP 25K status now.. lol
Yeah I was going to do the AP 25K yesterday but held off, this is much more appealing and has swayed me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7720 posts
8439 upvotes
Vancouver
secretalcoholic wrote: Received the email for the point redemption adjustment just now. Looks like earnings AND redemption has also been doubled for Platinum cards

1000 MR = $20.
Wow. Looks like this is for Platinum? With $699 annual fee and nobody traveling, Amex has to do something to stop the hemorrhage of cancellations.