Hot Deals

[American Express] Redeem MR points for 1¢ / 2¢ each on all purchases

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 11:32 am
Dec 13, 2016
184 posts
74 upvotes
I read through the thread, but I'm still confused/not seeing 2¢/pt for Platinum redemption. Unfortunately looks like Biz Plat is SOL.

For those of you who can see 2¢/pt, is it only statement point redemptions or also for purchasing Amex gift cards?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11696 posts
1904 upvotes
Mississauga
TorontoEh wrote: Dang y'all I didn't realize there were so many Pers Plays card holders on RFD, that 100K salary that is relatable I guess.

Still holding on to my tiny shiny Pers (poor man's) Gold card Relieved Face
AMEX doesn't have any minimum income requirements.
Sep 24, 2012
880 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
wilhelmthe1st wrote: Wawanesa allows direct online payments.
mgn2000 wrote: In my case CAA Insurance takes Credit Cards. Both Auto Insurance and Home Insurance.
Kiraly wrote: Some insurance companies take credit cards directly. The Cooperators for one does.
thanks guys..

i paid my $3k balance last week, wish i waited so i use the points for redemption. My insurance company the Personal doesnt take amex. i have about 90k points
should i buy a macbook, redeem the points and return it to store? or is this deemed unethical to do
Oct 26, 2017
25 posts
27 upvotes
TrackerJacker wrote: thanks guys..

i paid my $3k balance last week, wish i waited so i use the points for redemption. My insurance company the Personal doesnt take amex. i have about 90k points
should i buy a macbook, redeem the points and return it to store? or is this deemed unethical to do
Wouldn't that refund your MR points as well?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10508 posts
963 upvotes
Vancouver
I've got 17k points on my cobalt card, and looking to cancel it. So I geuss this is finally the time to just go buy $170 grocery gift card or something with points and end it?

Is that basically the best option? How do I actually "redeem" those 17k points for my purchase?
Sep 24, 2012
880 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
porteau wrote: Wouldn't that refund your MR points as well?
from what i know, points once redeemed, stay that way.
Nov 25, 2007
308 posts
36 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kaitlyn wrote: I've got 17k points on my cobalt card, and looking to cancel it. So I geuss this is finally the time to just go buy $170 grocery gift card or something with points and end it?

Is that basically the best option? How do I actually "redeem" those 17k points for my purchase?
Why do you want to cancel it?
Aug 9, 2018
58 posts
63 upvotes
I'm Plat personal and I'm only seeing:

"Consumer Cardmembers: For a limited time from April 17th until September 30th, 2020: 1,000 points is equal to a $10 statement credit on all eligible non-travel related purchases charged to your Card."
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10508 posts
963 upvotes
Vancouver
dotmerix wrote: Why do you want to cancel it?
Hard enough to spend the $500/month, not getting any worthwhile amex offers, and especially during this pandemic harder to spend the amount
Jul 24, 2012
19 posts
33 upvotes
EDMONTON
This deal is HOT. Better than using it for travel. Just spent 100k points on 2k bill credits.

As an aside, I wonder if you signed up for a platinum right now would you qualify since $700 fee but the 60k points are worth $1200 +$200 travel voucher plus double the value of your old Mr points
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1795 posts
904 upvotes
TrackerJacker wrote: thanks guys..

AMEX prepaid cards.
Jan 3, 2013
718 posts
271 upvotes
Mississauga
TrackerJacker wrote: i have about 90k points should i buy a macbook, redeem the points and return it to store? or is this deemed unethical to do
I would advise against doing this with Amex closing down many people's accounts in the last few days and banning them.
Sep 24, 2012
880 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
canuckcolehead wrote: Good deal.

Also noticed Amex Preaid Cards are on sale for the same redemption value (1000pts = $10)

Funds do not expire, cannot be used at ATM, NO monthly/maintenance fees etcScreen Shot 2020-04-18 at 1.52.49 PM.png
this is nice, but when you redeem on platinum, its 1000pts=$20.
so buying these cards, we are only getting half the value