Hot Deals

[American Express] Redeem MR points for 1¢ / 2¢ each on all purchases

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 11:32 am
Sep 24, 2012
880 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
looking4deals1 wrote: I would advise against doing this with Amex closing down many people's accounts in the last few days and banning them.
i wouldnt do it either, but checking to see what options do i have. i am not travelling so my expenses this month are not much either.
would like to avail this promotion before it expires. any suggestions?
Aug 3, 2019
142 posts
59 upvotes
TrackerJacker wrote: i wouldnt do it either, but checking to see what options do i have. i am not travelling so my expenses this month are not much either.
would like to avail this promotion before it expires. any suggestions?
Buy something you were eyeing for and use the extra points value on that, take it as a gift :) Honestly doubling our points value is literally free money , so why not treat yourself.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4567 posts
1494 upvotes
Winnipeg
TrackerJacker wrote: this is nice, but when you redeem on platinum, its 1000pts=$20.
so buying these cards, we are only getting half the value
If you don’t have Platinum...... then it’s good value to cash out Gold, Cobalt or Business cards...

I ordered $1000 on Monday and got here today via Priority Post
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2951 posts
310 upvotes
Don't be nosey
Does this conversion bonus affect AMEX to Bonvoy conversion for Cobalt cardholders? Eg: do we get more miles to Bonvoy now?
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Jul 16, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
Can I sign up for Plat and use Points accumulated through Cobalt at the Plat 2x rate?
Jan 3, 2013
718 posts
271 upvotes
Mississauga
alwayseffedup wrote: Can I sign up for Plat and use Points accumulated through Cobalt at the Plat 2x rate?
No. Cobalt points are MR-S, not the same as Platinum's MR.
Jul 9, 2017
155 posts
91 upvotes
Hmm I have 220k MR-S points that can't be transferred to Aeroplan. This looks like a good deal, tempted to still save them for the future though...decisons, decisions.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1603 posts
222 upvotes
Barrie
looking4deals1 wrote: I would advise against doing this with Amex closing down many people's accounts in the last few days and banning them.
Where are you seeing these reports? What sort of notification do the individuals receive?
Amex Platinum and Gold Membership Rewards, Bonvoy, and Aeroplan help me travel on the cheap!
May 3, 2011
174 posts
51 upvotes
l4rate wrote: Hmm I have 220k MR-S points that can't be transferred to Aeroplan. This looks like a good deal, tempted to still save them for the future though...decisons, decisions.
You could transfer to Bonvoy then from Bonvoy to Aeroplan but obviously the rate isn’t as good as MR points but it’s an option!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2014 posts
1903 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Kiraly wrote: Wow. Looks like this is for Platinum? With $699 annual fee and nobody traveling, Amex has to do something to stop the hemorrhage of cancellations.
Yep. That was me. I love the Plat card when I'm travelling a few times a year, but since I'm not gonna be travelling for at least a year then I didn't see the point and downgraded it to a Gold. Once life goes back to normal I'll probably upgrade again to be honest. There are some great offers for the plat but without being able to use any of the travel perks the card isn't worth it to me.
Aug 8, 2005
507 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
What is the highest “usual” value of a point? I think even for business class travel I haven’t seen 2c per point. I thought Amex points were worth approximately 1.25 to 1.5c when redeemed for travel (and travel being best value. Gift cards and merchandise are far less)

I have a TON of points and am thinking of redeeming at 2c now as if travel won’t be higher (or isnt likely to be) then this is the way to go.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2014 posts
1903 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
BHA1 wrote: What is the highest “usual” value of a point? I think even for business class travel I haven’t seen 2c per point. I thought Amex points were worth approximately 1.25 to 1.5c when redeemed for travel (and travel being best value. Gift cards and merchandise are far less)

I have a TON of points and am thinking of redeeming at 2c now as if travel won’t be higher (or isnt likely to be) then this is the way to go.
1c per point is pretty much the lowest you should redeem for IMO. 2c is pretty strong as a straight cash redemption. Honestly if they had released this last week before I downgraded my Plat->Gold I probably would have kept the card and redeemed a good chunk of points, but too late now.

If you're going for maximum value travel then the go-to move is to convert to AP 1:1 and then booking international business class flights on a carrier with low/no YQ (fuel surcharge). This is obviously not as strong since its up in the air because no one is travelling in the next while, and Aeroplan probably being de-valued in the near future.
Aug 8, 2005
507 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I didn’t get any email, and when I check online for my Platinum, it only says 1000MR=$10 (0.01 each)

I’m not seeing the 2c redemption rate (1000MR=$20)

Is this for all Plat cards?? I have an Amex Business Platinum. Does that not qualify for some reason?

Really looking to cash out a bunch of points. Not sure if maybe I should call Amex and demand the 2c rate. Has anyone with a Business Plat been able to redeem or are we somehow excluded?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1030 posts
1739 upvotes
BHA1 wrote: I didn’t get any email, and when I check online for my Platinum, it only says 1000MR=$10 (0.01 each)

I’m not seeing the 2c redemption rate (1000MR=$20)

Is this for all Plat cards?? I have an Amex Business Platinum. Does that not qualify for some reason?

Really looking to cash out a bunch of points. Not sure if maybe I should call Amex and demand the 2c rate. Has anyone with a Business Plat been able to redeem or are we somehow excluded?
Only personal Plat right now.