Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Shopping.ca Gift Card by Ivanhoé Cambridge - Spend at least $100 and Earn $20 credit. Up to 3 times - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 2:24 pm
Jun 26, 2007
554 posts
241 upvotes
Just saw this thread and my account has this offer. Can I simply buy gift cards from shopping.ca to eligible?

I dont want to go to mall.

Thanks for answer
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11904 posts
4805 upvotes
armaan wrote: Just saw this thread and my account has this offer. Can I simply buy gift cards from shopping.ca to eligible?

Thanks for answer
My understanding was (in Winnipeg here anyhow) ... -- even if you'd buy them on internet ... - you'd still have to go to the mall to finalize that purchase in one way or another.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7952 posts
1522 upvotes
Burnaby
armaan wrote: Just saw this thread and my account has this offer. Can I simply buy gift cards from shopping.ca to eligible?

Thanks for answer
You have to go to the mall. Buying online just gives you a voucher, to redeem at the mall. They don't load the card until you hand it in.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1350 posts
1220 upvotes
You know you can purchase Costco cash card online using Visa, right?
Darkman wrote: For those that are planning to buy prepaid Visa or MasterCard (with 300 GC) ... If you shop at Costco -- consider getting prepaid MasterCard(s) ... or at least some MasterCard(s) and not 300 dolalrs in Visa(s).

Then you can easily burn those prepaid MasterCard(s) in Costco :)
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11904 posts
4805 upvotes
naticom wrote: You know you can purchase Costco cash card online using Visa, right?
No. Didn't really know ... or if knew, didn't concern myself with it.

Personally, I don't even have Costco membership ... no real need for it for me ... My step-daughter has it ... so I occasionally go there with her and my wife to check out the store :)

Good to know though that you can do so ... but still ... a bit of a double-step, no?

If get Visa ... then have to purchase some Costco cash card with it, in order to use it at Costco.

If get MasterCard ... can just use it as is -- as MasterCard ... and no need to double-step in order to buy some Costco cash card :)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1395 posts
287 upvotes
Burnaby
Confirmed. Metrotown Rogers bill pay works and Guildford Town Centre Shaw And Rogers both works.

Metrotown Shaw does not take the mall GC.

Guildford will do one card and separate the charges.

There's a tap limit of $250 that's why you can only do $200 via tap. I was able to do a workaround and do chip+pin for the last $100.

AMEX keeps on giving.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2592 posts
2604 upvotes
GTA
LarryT778370 wrote: Maybe I am lucky.. got $60 for just purchasing two $100 GCs online
Awesome! Did you purchase both at same time separately ... Or did you stagger your two purchases on 2 different days?
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11904 posts
4805 upvotes
LarryT778370 wrote: Maybe I am lucky.. got $60 for just purchasing two $100 GCs online
How is that physically possible?
Jul 16, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Anyone else use a supplemental Amex and have success having credit applied? Thanks.
Aug 27, 2012
472 posts
918 upvotes
Worked for me at Vaughan Mills as well. Bought a $300 gift card split into three transactions. She happily obliged and asked if I was paying with Amex.

Then went to shoppers to buy shoppers gift cards. The cashier said No that’s not allowed. I went for lunch, came back and did self checkout, which worked but required the shift supervisor to key in an authorization code and she was surprised I was able to buy the gift cards.
ozzie16 wrote: DP:

Bought a single $300 card at Vaughan Mills CS on Sunday. Told the rep I wanted to split it into 3 separate $100 charges and she happily obliged.

Transaction posted yesterday. Got a $60 statement credit today and $5 Shop Small on my Platinum. Factoring in the 4% cash back, that's $223 for $300 which is solid. Now to figure out what to spend it on...
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44577 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
onamonapia wrote: Worked for me at Vaughan Mills as well. Bought a $300 gift card split into three transactions. She happily obliged and asked if I was paying with Amex.

Then went to shoppers to buy shoppers gift cards. The cashier said No that’s not allowed. I went for lunch, came back and did self checkout, which worked but required the shift supervisor to key in an authorization code and she was surprised I was able to buy the gift cards.
Surprised you were able to buy the gift cards at self checkout, or to use the mall GCs to buy GCs?

Can you walk through what happened? Did scanning the GCs prompt an auth code to be entered? This would be big for me, I still have a few hundred in Ivanhoe GCs from Cyber Monday.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Aug 27, 2012
472 posts
918 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Surprised you were able to buy the gift cards at self checkout, or to use the mall GCs to buy GCs?

Can you walk through what happened? Did scanning the GCs prompt an auth code to be entered? This would be big for me, I still have a few hundred in Ivanhoe GCs from Cyber Monday.
She was surprised that a gift card could be purchased with mall gift card.

Scanned Shoppers gift card, swiped it on keypad. Pressed check out. Debit/Credit was the only option you could select to pay by. Swiped mall GC. (I put the shoppers GC and mall GC into my purse right away so she wouldn’t see/give me grief.) Prompted for authorization on the screen. Cashier came over and pressed a few numbers. Receipts came through while the cashier went to grab a pen. She looked at the receipt and was surprised. I signed the receipt.

So I actually didn’t look at the mall gift card until I got home, but it’s an Amex Prepaid card. As in, you can probably go to the cashier and say you’re paying with Amex and just swipe it?
Images
  • 83F58166-BBF9-4FEB-AA10-DB0FBDCA6EB5.jpeg
Feb 18, 2018
632 posts
764 upvotes
onamonapia wrote: She was surprised that a gift card could be purchased with mall gift card.

Scanned Shoppers gift card, swiped it on keypad. Pressed check out. Debit/Credit was the only option you could select to pay by. Swiped mall GC. (I put the shoppers GC and mall GC into my purse right away so she wouldn’t see/give me grief.) Prompted for authorization on the screen. Cashier came over and pressed a few numbers. Receipts came through while the cashier went to grab a pen. She looked at the receipt and was surprised. I signed the receipt.

So I actually didn’t look at the mall gift card until I got home, but it’s an Amex Prepaid card. As in, you can probably go to the cashier and say you’re paying with Amex and just swipe it?
yes that's correct and how i always use Oxford mall giftcards. just call it an Amex
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44577 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
onamonapia wrote: She was surprised that a gift card could be purchased with mall gift card.

Yes, they're Amex cards, but if the cashier sees the physical card is a gift card (and it seems like they are trained to identify it) then they will reject you the moment they see it. A lot of cashiers will also ask to see the card before they press the button.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)