Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Shopping.ca Gift Card by Ivanhoé Cambridge - Spend at least $100 and Earn $20 credit. Up to 3 times - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 2:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9466 posts
1648 upvotes
Vancouver
klamchowder wrote: Over the weeks I've read all of this thread but can someone pls remind me what the benefit of getting it all on 1 card is? Is it just ease of keeping track of 1 gc or smth else?

Thx thx all for the fab info, ideas & solutions!

cheers,
:)
Just ease.
Oct 14, 2017
897 posts
718 upvotes
klamchowder wrote: Over the weeks I've read all of this thread but can someone pls remind me what the benefit of getting it all on 1 card is? Is it just ease of keeping track of 1 gc or smth else?

cheers,
Also if you wanted to make a big purchase some stores have limits on how many gift cards you can use (e.g. for Apple they only allow 5 gift cards at once so if you had multiple AMEX cards with this offer you would want to get one gift card).
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1332 posts
1207 upvotes
I’ll probably just do the Metrotown ones as I have two cards received the offer so total $600 to spend

At Tsawwassen I can get $75 extra and Metrotown or Guildford will only give me $60 (2*250+125).

However, return trip to Tsawwassen takes me more than 1.5hr so it’s not worth the trip for me.
bomber17 wrote: I think this offer is better than metrotown then. Probably head to T-mills later.
Jul 27, 2016
952 posts
1145 upvotes
Kanata

cheers,
Some retailers can only accept 2 different payments.

Let's say you're trying to buy something for exactly $300 but you have 3x $100 GC's and the retailer can only process 2 different payments.

Your first option is to use just 1 of the $100 GC's, and put the remaining $200 on your credit card.
Or (if you're lucky as we were)
Your second option is if the retailer will let you buy one of their store GC's with 2 of your mall GC's (so now you've combined 2 mall GC's into 1 store GC) and then you can buy that item with the $200 store GC plus the remaining $100 mall GC.

I know, extreme example, but this did actually happen to me!
Dec 4, 2017
276 posts
252 upvotes
Back in the day when I worked cashier, kids would bring in dozens of gift cards they collected from birthdays and Xmas. Our retailer's computer maxes out at 3 payment methods per transaction. So I would buy 1 giftcard with 3 giftcards. For them it's technically Amex buying Amex in giftcard form.

I'm sure the mall or the specific vendor can do that for you. The clerk just needs to spend time.
Sep 15, 2019
313 posts
1140 upvotes
High
Bayshore Mall, Ottawa is giving out $25 gc on a purchase of $250 gc. I’m pretty sure it’ll stack with the Amex offer
Images
  • 405C0D5E-DD95-42C9-822E-8491B1DA2B2E.png
May 6, 2020
12 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone redeemed these cards at Starbucks in the malls for a starbucks gift card?
Sep 3, 2006
268 posts
92 upvotes
Montreal
I have a few questions. My hope to get an answer on page 28 is low but I would love to know more :

1) I don't have an Amex card, I won't get the spend 100$+ get 20$ from https://shopping.ca/fr/offreamex/ but I will still get the spend 200$ get 30$ from Ivanhoé Cambridge right?

2) I read a reply that says I should go to the counter to buy these cards because if I buy it online, it is harder to use in store. Can someone elaborate on this please? It would be much easier for me to order online right now and go there only when I plan to purchase something

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2536 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
Voltz23 wrote: I have a few questions. My hope to get an answer on page 28 is low but I would love to know more :

1) I don't have an Amex card, I won't get the spend 100$+ get 20$ from https://shopping.ca/fr/offreamex/ but I will still get the spend 200$ get 30$ from Ivanhoé Cambridge right?

2) I read a reply that says I should go to the counter to buy these cards because if I buy it online, it is harder to use in store. Can someone elaborate on this please? It would be much easier for me to order online right now and go there only when I plan to purchase something

Thank you!
#1 Yep, IC Pay It Forward Offer for all

#2 Click on applicable Pay It Forward link to purchase e-card online; present email to Guest Services when you are ready to exchange for physical gift card

Others are trying to stack 2 AMEX Offers + the PIF IC Offer, therefore, best to go in person to maximize promos.

In your case, stay home if it's more convenient :)

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5448 posts
925 upvotes
Just a quick calculation:

$315 for $410 = 23.2% discount
That's basically paying 2x $125 for $40 credit + $25 gc, then 1x $125 for $20 credit + $10 gc.

Pretty decent discount assuming you have something to buy. Sucks cause you have to "hide" your gc swipe when trying to buy a gc from SDM otherwise I'd prob take advantage of it.
Jul 3, 2019
163 posts
215 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: Just a quick calculation:

$315 for $410 = 23.2% discount
That's basically paying 2x $125 for $40 credit + $25 gc, then 1x $125 for $20 credit + $10 gc.

Pretty decent discount assuming you have something to buy. Sucks cause you have to "hide" your gc swipe when trying to buy a gc from SDM otherwise I'd prob take advantage of it.
+ $5 for Small Shops as well. If you have two (or more) Amex cards, you can maximize this even more by splitting up the $125 into $100 and $25 (or smaller denominations) to get at least 2 x $5 Small Shops.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5448 posts
925 upvotes
merrrily wrote: + $5 for Small Shops as well. If you have two (or more) Amex cards, you can maximize this even more by splitting up the $125 into $100 and $25 (or smaller denominations) to get at least 2 x $5 Small Shops.
Ah yes. Assuming you have SS with 1 supp card then it's:
$305 for $410 = 25.6% discount.

Now whether the customer service will be nice enough to do all the different transactions AND then combine all the gc back into one :) :) :)
Dec 21, 2010
219 posts
130 upvotes
Babaji01 wrote: Bayshore Mall, Ottawa is giving out $25 gc on a purchase of $250 gc. I’m pretty sure it’ll stack with the Amex offer
So I can go to Bayshore mall, get a $300 gift card and ask the agent to process as three times $100 transaction, I will get $60 (offer) + $5 ( shop small), a new $25 gift card for the shopping mall offer. Am I correct?

Can I use the gift card at Walmart Bayshore?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2536 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
TruE SkiLLS wrote:

Now whether the customer service will be nice enough to do all the different transactions AND then combine all the gc back into one :) :) :)
Lol, or if one doesn't remember all the "stackable transactions" pertaining to # of cards/which card to use ... you may confuse yourself before confusing the Guest Services Rep :)
Last edited by mzmoney on Aug 18th, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2164 posts
1578 upvotes
Mississauga
merrrily wrote: + $5 for Small Shops as well. If you have two (or more) Amex cards, you can maximize this even more by splitting up the $125 into $100 and $25 (or smaller denominations) to get at least 2 x $5 Small Shops.
Can you get the Small Shops credit for buying the GCs online?