Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] YMMV - Complimentary year of a Calm Premium subscription for AMEX card holder

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 9:37 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34034 posts
19898 upvotes
Ottawa
LarryT778370 wrote: If Mod feels like this thread is not appropriate, Mod will move this thread to the correct section. Sorry that this bothers you
Don't get your panties in a knot.
Just like any other "hot deals"... expect criticism.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21577 posts
157094 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: AMEX offers need to stop showing up in Hot Deals.
It's for targeted cardholders only and communicated via email.
Would disagree with this - some people may not receive the emails for whatever reason, also there can be cases where only the spouse receives the emails and people might miss out, etc.

Really no different than someone posting a thread on local clearance deals - that's also geographically 'targeted'. If it's not in your geographic area, you just ignore it.
Last edited by toguy on Aug 13th, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 7, 2013
535 posts
734 upvotes
I'm going to wait closer to Oct before signing up to extend the 1 year mark - hopefully it won't max out like say a "spend $10 get $5" promo might. Currently using Headspace on a freebie 1 year deal that expires in May. If it's your thing, it's great to be able to try it before signing up - will be interesting to see the difference btwn the 2.

cheers,
:)
Nov 23, 2011
594 posts
581 upvotes
West GTA
vkizzle wrote: You don't check your emails regularly?
If you're going to say you rather check RFD first, well, there's a thread called AMEX OFFERS in the finance forum.
Yeah, it goes into the "promotions" category and not my primary inbox, I don't often check that.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2055 posts
1030 upvotes
series1000 wrote: Any word on Calm itself before I give up my email to another company?
Some people swear by it, check the reviews. I personally couldn't get into it whatsoever with the last free year I had with them.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17450 posts
4293 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote: Would disagree with this - some people may not receive the emails for whatever reason, also there can be cases where only the spouse receives the emails and people might might miss out, etc.

Really no different than someone posting a thread on local clearance deals - that's also geographically 'targeted'. If it's not in your geographic area, you just ignore it.
Agree, I typically don't get most of these offers that I qualify for by email.
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19600 posts
4202 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
frozenmelon wrote: Got the offer, but is this even a good product?
series1000 wrote: Any word on Calm itself before I give up my email to another company?
razrsharp wrote: Some people swear by it, check the reviews. I personally couldn't get into it whatsoever with the last free year I had with them.
I went through their free meditations and I really liked them TBH.
I don't have AmEx, but if Calm was cheaper, I would go for the yearly subscriptions.
Threre's so much free meditation stuff out there on YouTube, and I also have audible, so I'm not in a rush to pay for the Calm app.
What if there were no hypothetical questions? 🤔
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11912 posts
2112 upvotes
Mississauga
I got this offer and signed up for it. Will remember to cancel it next August. It seems ridiculously expensive for what it is, but I guess someone has to pay for Matthew McConaughahahahey to read you a bedtime story.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
3093 posts
494 upvotes
Thanks OP. I disregarded the email but now signed up for it.
May 2, 2020
59 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Are scotiabank amex customers eligible?
Would like to know this as well.
Too many people in the world today that speak liberal but vote conservative.
Apr 10, 2003
161 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
just cancel it now; sub stays active like Tidal if you are experienced
Feb 7, 2003
255 posts
117 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: I got this offer and signed up for it. Will remember to cancel it next August. It seems ridiculously expensive for what it is, but I guess someone has to pay for Matthew McConaughahahahey to read you a bedtime story.
FYI: You can cancel right after signing up, if you don't want to try to remember to cancel a year later. It cancels the recurring subscription and you will still be able to use it for the remainder of your one-year trial. Just log into the website, and review your subscription in your profile.
After I subscribed (got email through Amex), then cancelled today: "Your free trial has been canceled. Your Premium access lasts until August 13, 2021."
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
1243 posts
612 upvotes
I’ve been using it for a few years and really like it.
Plenty of options to focus on specific topics that you want to improve or any basic meditation practices.