• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2022 1:45 am
Tags:
None
Jul 1, 2017
11 posts
14 upvotes

Amex blocked my credit cards

Amex blocked my 2 cc accounts from spending even though I'm not over my credit limits. I called and they said it's regarding old cards I had that were closed 15 yrs ago. I called again and they said they are doing upgrades. I'm getting the run around from them and the agents seem like they don't know what's going on. Anybody experienced this?
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
Basically, three reasons cards get blocked:

- "AMEXiled - they've fired you as a client for card-churning or other abusive (in their words) collection of multiple welcome bonuses.
- Fraud or other similar compromised security on your account (they most likely would have told you that).
- You really did have cards from 15 years ago that were closed with significant outstanding balances and they've caught up to you.

Of course, there is always the possibility of human/system error.

But no one here can really tell you except Amex.
Jul 1, 2017
11 posts
14 upvotes
Yes I had an Amex cards that was included in my bankruptcy 15 yrs ago. I've since gotten cards after discharge 7 yrs ago and had no problems with them. Why would they still be asking about accounts that were already written off by them?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
I5landers wrote: Yes I had an Amex cards that was included in my bankruptcy 15 yrs ago. I've since gotten cards after discharge 7 yrs ago and had no problems with them. Why would they still be asking about accounts that were already written off by them?
Your post is very vague

So
1: you had a bankruptcy before and one card was amex
2: after those bankruptcy trades fall off bureau, you applied two amex credit cards and was approved
3: recently those two credit cards were blocked

Is this what happening?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3075 posts
7285 upvotes
Financial institutions don't simply "forget" significant debts that are written off, even if they have fallen off your credit report.
Most banks will automatically decline you if you had written off debts with them in the past - if AMEX (which itself is a bank) finally caught up, then fair game really ...
Jul 1, 2017
11 posts
14 upvotes
They could have declined me when I applied for the cards after my credit was cleared. I've had these new accounts over 7 yrs now
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
I5landers wrote: They could have declined me when I applied for the cards after my credit was cleared. I've had these new accounts over 7 yrs now
They could have but they may not have linked your old pre-bankruptcy accounts to these new accounts. They'll likely blacklist you forever - exception may be if you make them whole on any shortfall from what they got out of the bankruptcy. They can't legally do anything to claim that old debt but they can refuse to do business with you.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1226 posts
2234 upvotes
I've seen DP of this happening before. Amex can issue cards without linking past history, then, after years of no problems payments, all of a sudden they do some behind the scenes linking that results in them wanting to close an account that has been open for years without issue. It seems odd to me: either deny at the onset, or, if letting it slide, keep the new account open unless there is a problem - why do digging on perfectly stable accounts? However they do seem to dig around and link things way after the fact. One such example, I applied for another Amex card and they approved me and sent me the card and the 'member since' date was newly minted (year of application) even though my other two Amex cards at the time had my 'member since' date as decades prior. I shrugged it off and didn't say anything, but two years later I received a new card in the mail (long before card expiry) with my correct 'member since date' on it. So, after two years they must have done some routine back office digging for no reason and caught their mistake and corrected it without waiting for me to complain or for the card to come up for 4-year renewal.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
HermanH wrote: I've seen DP of this happening before. Amex can issue cards without linking past history, then, after years of no problems payments, all of a sudden they do some behind the scenes linking that results in them wanting to close an account that has been open for years without issue. It seems odd to me: either deny at the onset, or, if letting it slide, keep the new account open unless there is a problem - why do digging on perfectly stable accounts? However they do seem to dig around and link things way after the fact. One such example, I applied for another Amex card and they approved me and sent me the card and the 'member since' date was newly minted (year of application) even though my other two Amex cards at the time had my 'member since' date as decades prior. I shrugged it off and didn't say anything, but two years later I received a new card in the mail (long before card expiry) with my correct 'member since date' on it. So, after two years they must have done some routine back office digging for no reason and caught their mistake and corrected it without waiting for me to complain or for the card to come up for 4-year renewal.
Thanks

"Member since " is at card level or customer level?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1941 posts
2357 upvotes
New Brunswick
Member since is at customer level.
Banking: Alterna Bank (2.25%), Motive Financial (4.1%)
Investing: Qtrade Direct Investing
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Mobile: Eastlink 20GB Rollover ($39/mth)
Jul 1, 2017
11 posts
14 upvotes
Exactly! Reject me on the onset. Over 7 years they have given not 1 but 2 cards plus many offers for credit limit increases then all of a sudden they think I'm toxic to them. They should admit to their mistake and move on. TBH I couldn't care less to use their cards since I have plenty of other cards and options. I'm just afraid they start adding anything on my credit reports or suddenly start sending me to collections or something because I do g have a balance on 1 of the cards. Should I consult a credit consultant for this?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
I5landers wrote: Exactly! Reject me on the onset. Over 7 years they have given not 1 but 2 cards plus many offers for credit limit increases then all of a sudden they think I'm toxic to them. They should admit to their mistake and move on. TBH I couldn't care less to use their cards since I have plenty of other cards and options. I'm just afraid they start adding anything on my credit reports or suddenly start sending me to collections or something because I do g have a balance on 1 of the cards. Should I consult a credit consultant for this?
No, you should pay off the balance ASAP and say goodbye to AMEX. They did make a mistake, and are correcting it by firing you as a customer, whether the acknowledge it or not won't change the result - this is "moving on" for them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
Would you offer to make them whole again? If not, then they've probably just Amexiled you =/. If all that stuff fell off your credit report and they found it out now, then they're just rejecting you retroactively. We all make mistakes, but we should have a chance of providing restitution. At least inflation would make that prior debt cheaper today.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)