None
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3425 posts
1698 upvotes
Everywhere
booruce wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 1:50 pm
Is this a metal card? Just curious why there's no numbers embossed on the front.
Probably plastic. It it were metal, they would tell you.

The number are probably printed on the back. No more embossing. It gives the card a clean look and makes it thinner without the raised numbers.
Dec 8, 2013
249 posts
80 upvotes
British Columbia
batcave wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 2:12 pm
Probably plastic. It it were metal, they would tell you.

The number are probably printed on the back. No more embossing. It gives the card a clean look and makes it thinner without the raised numbers.
Nice. I wish all cards were like that. Fits in the wallet so much nicer. I wonder if they'll update the Cobalt to be the same
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5772 posts
5759 upvotes
Vancouver
booruce wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 4:57 pm
Nice. I wish all cards were like that. Fits in the wallet so much nicer. I wonder if they'll update the Cobalt to be the same
I bet by 2025 that every issuer will have done the same, and embossed credit cards will be in the dustbin of history.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3425 posts
1698 upvotes
Everywhere
booruce wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 4:57 pm

I think the Bonvoy is flat also. I have the US Bonvoy and it is flat, as are the gold and platinum charge cards. And soon the green charge card!
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 6:04 pm
I bet by 2025 that every issuer will have done the same, and embossed credit cards will be in the dustbin of history.
Hopefully by then, we won't need to carry cards.
Sep 6, 2016
686 posts
259 upvotes
I am wondering if Amazon / Walmart / Rexall can be an 3X office supplies and electronics.
Any one knows can confirm that?

Thank you
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
May 26, 2009
305 posts
320 upvotes
Calgary
You can refer to Edge from either Biz Plat or Biz Gold.

The offer becomes 40k MRS on $5k spend. This is about equivalent to the GCR offer of 30k MRS + $100 cash on the same spend.

The big bonus is the referral bonus. Assuming it isn't somehow discounted, it would be 5k MR from the Biz Gold and 25k MR from the Biz Plat.

So, for a self-referral from a Biz Plat, you get 25k MR + 40k MRS on $5k spend for only $99. That's a smoking deal as far as I am concerned.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12521 posts
2688 upvotes
Markham
jtfrogger wrote:
Oct 29th, 2019 11:09 pm
You can refer to Edge from either Biz Plat or Biz Gold.

The offer becomes 40k MRS on $5k spend. This is about equivalent to the GCR offer of 30k MRS + $100 cash on the same spend.

The big bonus is the referral bonus. Assuming it isn't somehow discounted, it would be 5k MR from the Biz Gold and 25k MR from the Biz Plat.

So, for a self-referral from a Biz Plat, you get 25k MR + 40k MRS on $5k spend for only $99. That's a smoking deal as far as I am concerned.
Sounds like a great deal...just unsure of this: New American Express Small Business Cardmembers can earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $5,000 in purchases to your Card in the first three months of Cardmembership1, and an additional 1,000 Membership Rewards points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $3,000 in purchases on your Card. This could add up to 12,000 additional points in a year.2 That's a total of 52,000 bonus Membership Rewards points that you could earn in your first year of Cardmembership. Offer subject to change at any time.

So it seems the referral points will be for sure...but not sure about the 40K if you are doing a selfie, as you would not be a new small business cardmember....
May 26, 2009
305 posts
320 upvotes
Calgary
RolandCouch wrote:
Oct 29th, 2019 11:24 pm
Sounds like a great deal...just unsure of this: New American Express Small Business Cardmembers can earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $5,000 in purchases to your Card in the first three months of Cardmembership1, and an additional 1,000 Membership Rewards points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $3,000 in purchases on your Card. This could add up to 12,000 additional points in a year.2 That's a total of 52,000 bonus Membership Rewards points that you could earn in your first year of Cardmembership. Offer subject to change at any time.

So it seems the referral points will be for sure...but not sure about the 40K if you are doing a selfie, as you would not be a new small business cardmember....
That wording is there for the Biz Gold & Biz Plat too. I have never heard of a situation where someone was denied a Canadian AMEX WB for the first time they have held the specific card other than for not hitting the MSR in time.

It's possible they will start preventing self-referrals, since they do so in the US, AFAIK. But I have not heard of this happening in Canada. There is a small chance that this is the first card where something like this is implemented. I'll actually refer from my spouse's Biz Plat to reduce that risk when I get it. But that risk is pretty low, IMO.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12521 posts
2688 upvotes
Markham
jtfrogger wrote:
Oct 30th, 2019 12:22 am
That wording is there for the Biz Gold & Biz Plat too. I have never heard of a situation where someone was denied a Canadian AMEX WB for the first time they have held the specific card other than for not hitting the MSR in time.

It's possible they will start preventing self-referrals, since they do so in the US, AFAIK. But I have not heard of this happening in Canada. There is a small chance that this is the first card where something like this is implemented. I'll actually refer from my spouse's Biz Plat to reduce that risk when I get it. But that risk is pretty low, IMO.
I checked my Gold and Plat referral links before posting that and the bold part does not show up on those pages. Only the edge.
May 26, 2009
305 posts
320 upvotes
Calgary
RolandCouch wrote:
Oct 30th, 2019 1:22 am
I checked my Gold and Plat referral links before posting that and the bold part does not show up on those pages. Only the edge.
It's there, but buried in the T&Cs.

I just grabbed this from by Biz Gold referral as footnote #7:
This offer is only available to new American Express Small Business Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Small Business Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus. Offer subject to change at any time. Offer valid for applications received by American Express through the links provided within the referral communication and other select communications from americanexpress.ca. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Account must be in good standing. Referral bonus will be awarded if and when you and the friend(s) and family member(s) that you refer through the referral program meet all program criteria. Referral program criteria varies by product and may change at any time without notice. See specific referral program terms for details. If the friend(s) and/or family member(s) that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for any referral bonus that may be offered as part of this program. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program (if applicable) when the referral bonus is awarded. All products and services are subject to applicable terms and conditions.
Jan 8, 2009
554 posts
479 upvotes
When was the last time people actually comply with the T&C....
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12521 posts
2688 upvotes
Markham
Is this the first time they have had a line on the application for "annual business revenue"? Don't recall seeing that on Biz Gold or Plat previously, but I see now it is on the Biz Plat too.
Jul 22, 2010
843 posts
148 upvotes
toronto
Hmm, any successful data points yet for the 25k self referral bonus for biz edge?
Feb 28, 2019
2 posts
Didn't recieve instant approval, and learned of the application being approved from GCR before Amex. Yes, the $100 rebate posted before Amex sent notification which surprised me. This happen to anyone else? Applied Oct. 17, recieved rebate from GCR Oct. 23, recieved card in mail today (Oct. 30). Love the card design, specially the lack of embossed card details (a first in my wallet). Hope more cards go the thinner route in the future.

My relationship with Amex is young. Business edge is my second card after applying for the Cobalt earlier this year. Was worried about recieve a super low initial credit limit for the card as I recieved only $1k on the cobalt, which I though was ridiculous considering all my other cards limits 5 figures. Satisfied, but not happy, with a $5,400 limit on this new card. Why the lack of trust Amex?

Unlike the cobalt which I intend to keep after bonuses I will probably let the Business Edge go after the year. The point multipler on dining is of no use (compared to Colbalts 5x). For gas I typically fill at Petro Canada with RBC Visa, with 3 cent discount is about the same as the 3x here I think? Lastly, the 3x on office supplies and electronics... sure I'll take it. But, like many young business owners, I don't spend much in these categories. To truly make a business owner like me take notice of the Business Edge longterm it would have been nice to see higher rewards on other business expenses, like digital marketing. Any data points yet on what counts as office supplies and/or electronics?
May 26, 2009
305 posts
320 upvotes
Calgary
dani0068 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2019 7:25 pm
Didn't recieve instant approval, and learned of the application being approved from GCR before Amex. Yes, the $100 rebate posted before Amex sent notification which surprised me. This happen to anyone else? Applied Oct. 17, recieved rebate from GCR Oct. 23, recieved card in mail today (Oct. 30). Love the card design, specially the lack of embossed card details (a first in my wallet). Hope more cards go the thinner route in the future.
The same thing happened to me for my Biz Bonvoy. Applied late at night on Sept 23. Got an email early morning Sept 26 from GCR on the reward. Got the card in the mail on Oct 2. I too love the lack of embossing that Amex is doing.
My relationship with Amex is young. Business edge is my second card after applying for the Cobalt earlier this year. Was worried about recieve a super low initial credit limit for the card as I recieved only $1k on the cobalt, which I though was ridiculous considering all my other cards limits 5 figures. Satisfied, but not happy, with a $5,400 limit on this new card. Why the lack of trust Amex?
Amex gives a lot of weight on your personal history with them. Getting a small limit on your very first card with them is not that unusual. Within a year you increased your CL with them more than 5x (through a different card). If you had asked them for a CLI on your Cobalt instead of a new card, they would have given it to you there instead. Most banks would not give you this much of an increase in less than a year, new card or not. It doesn't take long to build enough history that Amex treats you really well.