Credit Cards

[AMEX Canada] is shutting down accounts without warning. Transfer out your points ASAP

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 6:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24630 posts
6264 upvotes
where I belong

[AMEX Canada] is shutting down accounts without warning. Transfer out your points ASAP

Looks like AMEX Canada is shutting down accounts without notice

My Data point
4/21-22 I couldn't see my 66K MR balance online despite account still active :(
4/22 I got the AMEX closure letter via UPS, and online accounts CANCELLED

Reason = "not being used for the intended purposes"

They closed 4 cards under me (P1) - Platinum ($699 annual fee), SPG1, SPG2, Gold CPA

Be aware if you have previously did. I churn'ed about every 6-12 months, never MS'ed nor FR'ed
- Churning (closing and opening cards for WB)
- MS (manufactured spending)
- Self-referral? posted referral links publicy?
- FR'ed previously

No idea if this a permanent ban or we can try again in 6 months or 12 months?

More discussion on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada ... egathread/
Last edited by jerryhung on Dec 2nd, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
1802 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7037 posts
6296 upvotes
I'm just getting started with amex cards so I'm praying I don't somehow get caught up with this.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1536 posts
1029 upvotes
Near You
Early DPs seem to indicate that selling/transferring MR into FFP with a different name, particularly Aeroplan, multiple churns, public referral links, and low spend to income ratio increase your risk substantially of getting all your Amex MR products cancelled. A letter will arrive stating the reason for cancellation is misuse.

Good opportunity to transfer MR to your own account, or if you are a platinum card holder, redeeming for statement credit isn't the worst.

Personally I think this is overly harsh, but you agreed to the cardholder's agreement when you applied, we all did. Good luck to everyone who did any of the above, though. F to pay respects.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4344 posts
5521 upvotes
Montreal
Based on my read of the various data points, it seems like they are mostly converging to: transferring MR to someone else's Aeroplan account. While I'm not saying the various other practices won't get you shut down, it does seem like the common thread is transferring MR to someone else's Aeroplan account.
Jul 4, 2017
541 posts
123 upvotes
I can log in and see my points, but its giving me an error when I try to transfer to AP. Had to add my AP account # since the card didn't already have one attached. Any way around this or do I have to call in?

I checked another card and I think my gf's account is attached to that one, so I might have screwed myself...
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14779 posts
12896 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Now when are we going to see a brag roll of who looted the most MR or AP out of their AmEx churning up until shutdown?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24630 posts
6264 upvotes
where I belong
efrant wrote: Based on my read of the various data points, it seems like they are mostly converging to: transferring MR to someone else's Aeroplan account. While I'm not saying the various other practices won't get you shut down, it does seem like the common thread is transferring MR to someone else's Aeroplan account.
I doubt it, we'll never know why anyway
I've only transferred to my own Aeroplan account (since I'm the major redeemer in the house)

I think it's "churning" - open card, earn WB, stop using it, close card; repeat in few months
Eventually they don't want that, even with me paying $699 annual fee on Plat or $499 on Biz Plat yearly on average
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1904 posts
1537 upvotes
Montréal
jerryhung wrote: I doubt it, we'll never know why anyway
I've only transferred to my own Aeroplan account (since I'm the major redeemer in the house)

I think it's "churning" - open card, earn WB, stop using it, close card; repeat in few months
Eventually they don't want that, even with me paying $699 annual fee on Plat or $499 on Biz Plat yearly on average
Been churning for 15 years, once a year with the spouse, have had continual relationship with them. Not worried in the least about getting my account closed. I also use the cards regularly, not just to get the bonus. I see a lot of previous Financial Reviews in people's posts which is never a good sign.

But I disagree that they are doing this randomly, I think they are simply culling the low hanging fruit.
Last edited by admiralackbar on Apr 23rd, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3862 posts
2261 upvotes
GTA
admiralackbar wrote: Been churning for 15 years, once a year with the spouse, have had continual relationship with them. Not worried in the least about getting my account closed. I also use the cards regularly, not just to get the bonus. I see a lot of previous Financial Reviews in people's posts which is never a good sign.
From the DP's I've read in various places and from sources. You have a high chance of getting cancelled. They are targeting churners. People who sign up for multiple cards, get the WB, and cancel before 1 year fee hits and repeat. Regardless of how often you use the card.
I would be careful if I was you if you have MR in AMEX.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36068 posts
22209 upvotes
Center of Universe
All the points... gone???
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46287 posts
6717 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ADRiiAN` wrote: From the DP's I've read in various places and from sources. You have a high chance of getting cancelled. They are targeting churners. People who sign up for multiple cards, get the WB, and cancel before 1 year fee hits and repeat. Regardless of how often you use the card.
Based on the DP's you've seen, how are they defining churner? For example, is close-open 3 months? 6 months? Once a year?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3862 posts
2261 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote: Based on the DP's you've seen, how are they defining churner? For example, is close-open 3 months? 6 months? Once a year?
Effectively cancelling before the annual fee hits for the 2nd year.
Example: Signed up on 01/01/2020, get charged annual fee, meet MSR, spent regularly, cancelled 12/31/2020 before getting charged another annual fee.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36068 posts
22209 upvotes
Center of Universe
ADRiiAN` wrote: Effectively cancelling before the annual fee hits for the 2nd year.
Example: Signed up on 01/01/2020, get charged annual fee, meet MSR, spent regularly, cancelled 12/31/2020 before getting charged another annual fee.
Meet MSR, stop spending regularly?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3862 posts
2261 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Meet MSR, stop spending regularly?
No. The key here is churning. Signing up, cancelling your card and repeating. Those are the targets.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5437 posts
1677 upvotes
Toronto
This is great news IMO. Will allow AMEX to increase the value they provide to clients who actually use their cards for their intended purposes, rather than people who are just trying to game the system. Hopefully will reduce the volume of people in the lounges too.
May 4, 2010
260 posts
249 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote: What is FR?
Financial Review, wherein your account is suspended and you are required to submit documents related to personal or business income. Then they decide whether to unlock your account with or without conditions (such as closing some of your cards) or just closing your entire account.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1904 posts
1537 upvotes
Montréal
Jon Lai wrote: What is FR?
Financial Review is when AMEX asks you for financial documentation justifying your spending levels. Usually triggered when they suspect you of manufactured spending (gift cards for example) and usually results in closure of your account. They just seem to be skipping this step now.
ADRiiAN` wrote: From the DP's I've read in various places and from sources. You have a high chance of getting cancelled. They are targeting churners. People who sign up for multiple cards, get the WB, and cancel before 1 year fee hits and repeat. Regardless of how often you use the card.
Thanks but I am not concerned in the least.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1869 posts
2385 upvotes
ADRiiAN` wrote: No. The key here is churning. Signing up, cancelling your card and repeating. Those are the targets.
Standard RFD behaviour, you mean?

Many issuers have been and are adjusting their programs to discourage churners - AMEX seems unique in pro-actively firing undesirable customers. That is their right, so no real way to fight it unless there actually has been no "abuse".

I was going to hang on a while and minimize my card portfolio until this COVID-19 situation resolves so it becomes clearer where bonus points will end-up having value or maybe avoiding transfer to future bankrupts.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12372 posts
15634 upvotes
Vancouver
I just used up all of my Cobalt points and cancelled my card 4 days ago. I had the card for two days short of a year. This was after doing the same thing with pers Gold last year. The new Plat offer of double points (50,000 point WB after $3k spending = $1,000 to offset $699 AF) is very tempting, but not sure if my previous activity red flags me. My Simply Cash card's trade line goes back to 1999, I'd hate to have Amex boot me completely.