Credit Cards

[AMEX Canada] is shutting down accounts without warning. Transfer out your points ASAP

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2022 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1908 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Could it be that they are cancelling cards for any of the reasons listed above but that the decision to review a cardholder account is based on the payment of renewal fees?

They may be looking at the ratio of accounts opened by a cardholder and the times that a renewal fee has been paid by him/her?

If a cardholder history has 25 various Amex cards in total but only paid the renewal fee on 2 of them, Amex could be reviewing that account in detail to see if it is a cause for shutdown?

If so, those that hold on to a card or two long-term like Kiraly might be safe from this.

I'm wondering if anyone that kept the Marriott card for the annual cert by paying the renewal fees has been shutdown too?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12952 posts
16563 upvotes
Vancouver
dotsandpixels wrote: If so, those that hold on to a card or two long-term like Kiraly might be safe from this.
Yeah but my Simply Cash card has no AF. I've never paid an Amex annual fee except for personal Gold, which was offset by $150 Perkopolis rebate, and 12 x $10 monthly Cobalt fees, offset by 2,500 point/month spend bonus in first year. With no more bonus to offset the monthly fee I cancelled the card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7186 posts
7187 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I just used up all of my Cobalt points and cancelled my card 4 days ago. I had the card for two days short of a year. This was after doing the same thing with pers Gold last year. The new Plat offer of double points (50,000 point WB after $3k spending = $1,000 to offset $699 AF) is very tempting, but not sure if my previous activity red flags me. My Simply Cash card's trade line goes back to 1999, I'd hate to have Amex boot me completely.
Btw the Pers Plat offer just changed, it's now 60,000 public and 70,000 referral.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1908 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote:
Yeah but my Simply Cash card has no AF. I've never paid an Amex annual fee except for personal Gold, which was offset by $150 Perkopolis rebate, and 12 x $10 monthly Cobalt fees, offset by 2,500 point/month spend bonus in first year. With no more bonus to offset the monthly fee I cancelled the card.
Well, you do have long history with amex with the simply card. Hopefully it will help keep you off the list.

That's why I'm curious to know if those that have kept annual fees cards long term are also getting axed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9074 posts
2665 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: I just used up all of my Cobalt points and cancelled my card 4 days ago. I had the card for two days short of a year. This was after doing the same thing with pers Gold last year. The new Plat offer of double points (50,000 point WB after $3k spending = $1,000 to offset $699 AF) is very tempting, but not sure if my previous activity red flags me. My Simply Cash card's trade line goes back to 1999, I'd hate to have Amex boot me completely.
I suspect that in addition to "churning", people that have consistently maxed out their referral bonuses may be of higher risk ...
I strongly suspect that if you are in a churning tag team then the risk is even higher ... I believe I have read about some group with 6 or more ...

Also, if you have managed to "accumulate" a higher than avg number of points and redeem them or transfer out to several other people, then you will definitely be on their radar ...

As for ms'ing by buying giftcards, I think as long as this is done within a normal spending ratio to income, then the risk of being shutdown is "low" ... though the reward points associated with those transactions may be subjected to clawbacks ...
Last edited by LOL808 on Apr 23rd, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9074 posts
2665 upvotes
multi city dweller
I also have the basic simplycash, but have churned the preferred version ...

BTW, the simplycash was launched much later than 1999?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12952 posts
16563 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: BTW, the simplycash was launched much later than 1999?
I had a no-fee Amex Air Miles card way back then. Got SC in about 2015 and cancelled Air Miles. Amex moved the trade line history over. I don't believe any of the big banks do this.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46671 posts
7111 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dotsandpixels wrote: Well, you do have long history with amex with the simply card. Hopefully it will help keep you off the list.

That's why I'm curious to know if those that have kept annual fees cards long term are also getting axed.
Interesting point. Has there been any DP where people had their accounts closed and held a Simply Cash?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12952 posts
16563 upvotes
Vancouver
jerryhung wrote: Looks like AMEX Canada is shutting down accounts without notice

My Data point
4/21-22 I couldn't see my 66K MR balance online despite account still active
4/22 I got the AMEX closure letter via UPS, and online accounts CANCELLED
Nooooo! This is @jerryhung, the guy who taught me so much in his famous thread. Upvoted this thread because he deserves it.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12952 posts
16563 upvotes
Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote: Wouldn't that simply be a product switch?
The big banks do this with a product switch, yes. But not when opening a new card, taking welcome bonus, moving credit limit over and then canceling the old one. AFAIK only Amex will move a trade line history over when doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9074 posts
2665 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: Nooooo! This is @jerryhung, the guy who taught me so much in his famous thread. Upvoted this thread because he deserves it.
ya this is nerve whracking ....

now i have 1 more thing to worry about other than covid ... Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8513 posts
2064 upvotes
Burnaby
Has anybody been shut down with cards that they do keep beyond one year?

I currently have 2 cards that I've kept for 2nd year onwards, but transferred out my MR to Aeroplan for the status and to mitigate any losses.

Still have some exposure from Cobalt though, will gamble on that one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36560 posts
22709 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kiraly wrote: Nooooo! This is @jerryhung, the guy who taught me so much in his famous thread. Upvoted this thread because he deserves it.
You know it's serious when they courier you a cancellation notice, rather than sending it via snail mail.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9074 posts
2665 upvotes
multi city dweller
Gtaphotog wrote: Btw the Pers Plat offer just changed, it's now 60,000 public and 70,000 referral.
Is this yr first pers plat?
Do you think it is now riskier signing up via a referral?
Not sure if signing up via affiliate link is safer?

I was planning to sign up and then cose my pers gold ...
I think I will have to keep my pers gold now ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Feb 13, 2009
644 posts
243 upvotes
Ontario
gei wrote: This is great news IMO. Will allow AMEX to increase the value they provide to clients who actually use their cards for their intended purposes, rather than people who are just trying to game the system. Hopefully will reduce the volume of people in the lounges too.

In my personal opinion I am very happy to hear AMEX is taking the initiative to address this. It will significantly reduce the number of cardmembers who are not spending routinely on the card (to allow AMEX to profit from sales), and also save on member rewards points given out for new card activations.

This results in AMEX being more profitable in general, and cardmembers who use their cards normally/regularly will potentially benefit from greater rewards. Also as mentioned, there will be a significant reduction in the number of people using the lounges as well which will be a very much appreciated.

Also just out of curiosity, I wonder how much dollar spend these 'non-intended use cardholders' (in the words of AMEX) would spend in a calendar year. It would have to be significantly less than the dollar amount of the member rewards points given I presume?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36560 posts
22709 upvotes
Center of Universe
mattt33 wrote: In my personal opinion I am very happy to hear AMEX is taking the initiative to address this. It will significantly reduce the number of cardmembers who are not spending routinely on the card (to allow AMEX to profit from sales), and also save on member rewards points given out for new card activations.

This results in AMEX being more profitable in general, and cardmembers who use their cards normally/regularly will potentially benefit from greater rewards. Also as mentioned, there will be a significant reduction in the number of people using the lounges as well which will be a very much appreciated.

Also just out of curiosity, I wonder how much dollar spend these 'non-intended use cardholders' (in the words of AMEX) would spend in a calendar year. It would have to be significantly less than the dollar amount of the member rewards points given I presume?
If they're simply churning by hitting the MSR...very little spending afterwards.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7186 posts
7187 upvotes
LOL808 wrote: Is this yr first pers plat?
Do you think it is now riskier signing up via a referral?
Not sure if signing up via affiliate link is safer?

I was planning to sign up and then cose my pers gold ...
I think I will have to keep my pers gold now ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Yes.

If you use someone's referral I'd suggest maintaining some sort of communication with them before and afterwards in case amex comes knocking but I highly doubt they will.

I also have a pers Gold that's going to be coming up on renewal sometime soon but no real reason for me to keep that alongside the platinum, when I call amex to have the MR merged I'll explain that it's not worth for me to keep both and see if they offer any incentive to keep it or if I can cancel it without an issues.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1908 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto, ON
With all this happening now, anyone planning to apply for new card?

Worth the risk or will Amex see a big drop in new apps?

I did want to apply for one, been delaying it for a while but I'm going to hold off for a few months.

Btw, so sorry to read it's happened to you Jerry. I appreciate all that you did. Many good travels done with your help and many still to go once travel opens up again.

Do you think Amex somehow linked your online persona to your real life name? Kind of targeted you I guess?
Last edited by dotsandpixels on Apr 23rd, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 8, 2009
173 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Gtaphotog wrote: Yes.

If you use someone's referral I'd suggest maintaining some sort of communication with them before and afterwards in case amex comes knocking but I highly doubt they will.

I also have a pers Gold that's going to be coming up on renewal sometime soon but no real reason for me to keep that alongside the platinum, when I call amex to have the MR merged I'll explain that it's not worth for me to keep both and see if they offer any incentive to keep it or if I can cancel it without an issues.
In the same boat where my Bus gold is coming up and planning on signing for the personal plat to cash out the points, anyone know whether you can use the points to pay for charges on your bus gold if I get the primary set up as my personal plat? ie I have a bunch of charges on the gold from Jan to now, but once I open the plat, I will have no charges on the plat to cash out at 2cpp. Any experience with this?

Does churning count if you just switch products every year, some years you pay the annual fee and some you don't? In this case, you don't have multiple amex cards at the same time, but you move on to different ones every 1 year? In these cases, you find better value in another card they offer, such as the personal plat now. Is this cause for cancellation? I'm getting nervous as I've been accumulating points for some time, but always go to a new card every year, only got the personal gold a few times in the past decade. I would think this would be normal.

Thoughts?