Credit Cards

[AMEX Canada] is shutting down accounts without warning. Transfer out your points ASAP

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2021 6:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8451 posts
2006 upvotes
Burnaby
LOL808 wrote: Is this yr first pers plat?
Do you think it is now riskier signing up via a referral?
Not sure if signing up via affiliate link is safer?

I was planning to sign up and then cose my pers gold ...
I think I will have to keep my pers gold now ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
public offer is 50K + 10K after holding the card for 6 months (secondary bonus therefore not part of the double double promo), 3K min spend

Referral is 60+10, but with a 5K min spend.

You gotta determine if you can stomach the extra 2K spend for the extra 10K points
Jun 8, 2009
173 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
LOL808 wrote: Is this yr first pers plat?
Do you think it is now riskier signing up via a referral?
Not sure if signing up via affiliate link is safer?

I was planning to sign up and then cose my pers gold ...
I think I will have to keep my pers gold now ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Wouldn't this just be upgrading your card from personal gold to plat? I don't see why this would be an issue as most companies want the clients to sign up for their most expensive cards. However, I've got no experience with what they are doing to everyone, but I'm afraid as well I was planning to close the bus gold and move to the personal plat with this promo they are offering on the point redemptions. Would be great to hear if anyone has had their accounts closed doing this type of thing. Also, never been a person to close accounts at the 6 month mark to just enjoy the bonuses. Always spend on each amex card held until the end.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8954 posts
2622 upvotes
multi city dweller
crimsona wrote: public offer is 50K + 10K after holding the card for 6 months (secondary bonus therefore not part of the double double promo), 3K min spend

Referral is 60+10, but with a 5K min spend.

You gotta determine if you can stomach the extra 2K spend for the extra 10K points
ATM, I want to proceed with care so as to stay legit and not be shutdown ... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I do have some big expenses such as property insurances and taxes coming up so it is perfect time to sign up for the pers plat ...
but getting cold feet ...
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12514 posts
15836 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: ATM, I want to proceed with care so as to stay legit and not be shutdown ... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I do have some big expenses such as property insurances and taxes coming up so it is perfect time to sign up for the pers plat ...
but getting cold feet ...
Can’t pay for those with Amex without doing some of the shenanigans that’s getting people’s accounts cancelled in the first place.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4433 posts
5611 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: Can’t pay for those with Amex without doing some of the shenanigans that’s getting people’s accounts cancelled in the first place.
Taxes can be paid with an Amex card using Plastiq. Plastiq is one of Amex's partners (and you can even set it as a preferred vendor for your Business Gold card), so I wouldn't say there's shenanigans involved to pay taxes. As for insurance, certain companies (like TD for example) take Amex for insurance payments so, again, no shenanigans. Otherwise, you're correct, there would be shenanigans involved.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8954 posts
2622 upvotes
multi city dweller
efrant wrote: Taxes can be paid with an Amex card using Plastiq. Plastiq is one of Amex's partners (and you can even set it as a preferred vendor for your Business Gold card), so I wouldn't say there's shenanigans involved to pay taxes. As for insurance, certain companies (like TD for example) take Amex for insurance payments so, again, no shenanigans. Otherwise, you're correct, there would be shenanigans involved.
My insurance takes amex ... and I still have over 5k FFDs to use with plastiq ... so this comes in handy for the taxes ... no need to pay indirectly ...
so i should be golden ... but still worry get the pers plat just for these expenses ...
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1951 posts
1623 upvotes
Montréal
coconutjay wrote:

Does churning count if you just switch products every year, some years you pay the annual fee and some you don't?
I have no proof but I would venture that this is exactly the kind of metric they would be looking at (string of unbroken annual fees that show some kind of loyalty to Amex would be spared).

Stuff like this on Reddit cracks me up
I've posted publically ref links, I've churned but not excessively, and I've sold MR to 3 different AP account previously.
May 17, 2013
168 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto/Montreal
vkizzle wrote: You know it's serious when they courier you a cancellation notice, rather than sending it via snail mail.
For OG @jerryhung they gave him the VIP treatment.

Reality though is probably the legality of the situation by providing proof of reception.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2519 posts
4108 upvotes
Toronto
I'm worried as in the past I have churned quite a bit (most in 2012-2015), but as of late I've pretty much cut it down to one card across all product types a year, e.g. one Personal Plat, use it for the entire year, then move to Business Plat, etc. But I have not sent to multiple AP accounts (only transferred to ones in my name), no MS, no self referrals, and have not really used my referral links at all, save for referring a close friend once. Plus I spent over 150K on my card in the last 10 months. Haven't been shut down (touch wood).
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
2024 posts
2810 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
vkizzle wrote: All the points... gone???
Yuppers.
thumb_←-→-clǜ-secure-l-https-ico-savedroid-com-aannnd-ts-gone-mining-51402690.png
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
3017 posts
2197 upvotes
Calgary
Didn't get the WB on my latest Biz plat churn.Personal products were already a no-go last year (no WB on PG, Bonvoy).
Oh well, it was great while it lasted but the AMEX gravy train is officially dead for me.

We are sitting on a decent pile of MR...wasn't planning to transfer them to Aeroplan given the uncertainty of travel plans and the program, but might have to pull the trigger now
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8954 posts
2622 upvotes
multi city dweller
margincall wrote: Didn't get the WB on my latest Biz plat churn.Personal products were already a no-go last year (no WB on PG, Bonvoy).
Oh well, it was great while it lasted but the AMEX gravy train is officially dead for me.

We are sitting on a decent pile of MR...wasn't planning to transfer them to Aeroplan given the uncertainty of travel plans and the program, but might have to pull the trigger now
better do something quick before Image happens ...
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
3017 posts
2197 upvotes
Calgary
LOL808 wrote: better do something quick before Image happens ...
Cleared out the accounts - MR to Aeroplan, MRS to Bonvoy
Better safe than sorry I guess....now I'll wait for Aeroplan to devalue and screw me

Will try for an AF refund on the Biz Plat and cancel all the cards...AMEX it was nice knowing you but it's time to move on ;)

Edit: Confirmed points received in AP accounts
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1094 posts
466 upvotes
@Jerry do you think the letter you got is a permanent ban? On reddit some talk about different letters mean different types of shut downs. But hard to say I guess until one tries to apply again in a few years to see if still blacklisted/denied. Anyone any thoughts on this?
Feb 13, 2010
45 posts
11 upvotes
Any DPs regarding MR tranfers to other cards? Would like to use my points towards purchases on another card to use them up but I don't want to flag anything either. I'd rather not transfer them all to AP or SPG (AVIOS & BA is of no use since I'm on the east coast).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8954 posts
2622 upvotes
multi city dweller
margincall wrote: Cleared out the accounts - MR to Aeroplan, MRS to Bonvoy
Better safe than sorry I guess....now I'll wait for Aeroplan to devalue and screw me

Will try for an AF refund on the Biz Plat and cancel all the cards...AMEX it was nice knowing you but it's time to move on ;)

Edit: Confirmed points received in AP accounts
I have read several reports on reddit that folks who transferred out completely have been shutdown several days after ...

Also, since aeroplan is now owned by a/c, there is a risk that a/c may go bk due to covid ... not sure what will happen to aeroplan miles if that ever to happen ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8703 posts
9662 upvotes
The Prairies
micronta wrote: @Jerry do you think the letter you got is a permanent ban? On reddit some talk about different letters mean different types of shut downs. But hard to say I guess until one tries to apply again in a few years to see if still blacklisted/denied. Anyone any thoughts on this?
You tagged the wrong jerry
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5951 posts
4408 upvotes
LOL808 wrote: I have read several reports on reddit that folks who transferred out completely have been shutdown several days after ...

Also, since aeroplan is now owned by a/c, there is a risk that a/c may go bk due to covid ... not sure what will happen to aeroplan miles if that ever to happen ...
So do you mean it’s better to stay still? Any move will trigger Amex to review and close you account?

I haven’t redeemed anything yet and I bet I’ll be fine because I don’t churn or self refer. It’s a huge gamble though haha.
💳 Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
😊 Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5951 posts
4408 upvotes
micronta wrote: @Jerry do you think the letter you got is a permanent ban? On reddit some talk about different letters mean different types of shut downs. But hard to say I guess until one tries to apply again in a few years to see if still blacklisted/denied. Anyone any thoughts on this?
The letter says “we reserve the right to cancel or decline any future accounts”. Based on Amex’s harshness, it seems like a lifetime ban.
💳 Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
😊 Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP