• Oct 19th, 2020 3:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 26, 2020
11 posts
13 upvotes

Amex Centurion Invitation

My husband received Amex Centurion invitation, is it worth the fees? It's $5,000 one time fee plus $2500 annually.
43 replies
Jul 20, 2014
864 posts
184 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Can I ask how much your husband spends or how he got it?

I have a corp amex and spend over 500-600k USD a month and really want an invite.

Aso to answer your question, its not worth it, its more of a flex or a status symbol then worth it for the benefits IMO.
Mar 14, 2018
478 posts
525 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The question might be more suited for the credit card subsection, but as Bruenor says, it is mostly a status thing than real value. However it can depend on how each person uses the card and potentially its perk. The best thing to do is sit down and look at how much the perks are worth to you both.

Personally, I would rather keep my Platinum, but the Centurion is a stunner of a card and comes with a certain "aura".

EDIT: Thread was move to relevant subsection.
Last edited by thefusio15 on Apr 29th, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Express Platinum | Rogers World Elite
Author of The American Express Atlas
iPhone 12 Pro Max | Apple Watch Series 4 | MacBook Pro 2019 | SKYFALL 6.0
[OP]
Apr 26, 2020
11 posts
13 upvotes
We've used Amex for 18 years now, he has corporate card and we also use two personal cards. On the corporate end it's been between 400k and 600k monthly for the last 4 years, always fully paid off of course. They just mailed us a box invitation yesterday. I can't see any beneficial perks when it comes to business side but maybe personal benefits (travel, shopping etc) however I'm not sure if that justifies the fees.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1056 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
DarMo087 wrote: We've used Amex for 18 years now, he has corporate card and we also use two personal cards. On the corporate end it's been between 400k and 600k monthly for the last 4 years, always fully paid off of course. They just mailed us a box invitation yesterday. I can't see any beneficial perks when it comes to business side but maybe personal benefits (travel, shopping etc) however I'm not sure if that justifies the fees.
out of curiosity, what benefits does the centurion card have relative to plat? Found this article here but not sure if accurate

https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/black- ... es-canada/
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
I looked into it and compared a few times. There's little to no real difference for me between it and platinum..
Mainly speaking in terms of earn rate.
Yes you get some perks, annual gifts, and the concierge is going to be better..
There are some travel perks, and some memberships to spas etc..

It's primarily a status symbol, so you have to make sense of if the annual fee is that important to you. For some luxury goods are, and having this is a luxury good.

Some articles state it can close to pay for itself, but you gotta use absurd perks and basically be a author for a miles and points website to make that make sense.
Jan 29, 2013
98 posts
52 upvotes
Goose12345 wrote: out of curiosity, what benefits does the centurion card have relative to plat? Found this article here but not sure if accurate

https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/black- ... es-canada/
I've read that in America, the annual fee is largely offset by a free Equinox gym membership, which might be quite valuable for some people. I wonder if that perk's available here as well...
Jul 20, 2014
864 posts
184 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
DarMo087 wrote: We've used Amex for 18 years now, he has corporate card and we also use two personal cards. On the corporate end it's been between 400k and 600k monthly for the last 4 years, always fully paid off of course. They just mailed us a box invitation yesterday. I can't see any beneficial perks when it comes to business side but maybe personal benefits (travel, shopping etc) however I'm not sure if that justifies the fees.
Guess I have 17 years to go :(
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
bruenor9 wrote: Guess I have 17 years to go :(
Ask your account manager, express your interest, it can happen much before that, but they seem to hand out the one for personal spend ie luxury goods, travel etc, more frequently than corp.
but again.. it'll be 5k a year soon, and for what.. It would be different if they upped the earn rate, so that can be offset but people with high spends would create huge costs for them, as they're going to do those spends if its 1.25MR or if its 2+MR regardless.
I couldn't make sense of it being Canadian for 2500/yr.. 5k?
Jul 20, 2014
864 posts
184 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
shylok wrote: Ask your account manager, express your interest, it can happen much before that, but they seem to hand out the one for personal spend ie luxury goods, travel etc, more frequently than corp.
but again.. it'll be 5k a year soon, and for what.. It would be different if they upped the earn rate, so that can be offset but people with high spends would create huge costs for them, as they're going to do those spends if its 1.25MR or if its 2+MR regardless.
I just got my Amex Corp card a few months a go, but spending 5-600k USD constantly a month on the GDC Program. My personal spend is low because my Amex personal plat actually has a soft limit very ridiculous. I just want to be a cool 23 year old with a Centurion LOL. I don't mind the annual fee.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
bruenor9 wrote: I just got my Amex Corp card a few months a go, but spending 5-600k USD constantly a month on the GDC Program. My personal spend is low because my Amex personal plat actually has a soft limit very ridiculous. I just want to be a cool 23 year old with a Centurion LOL. I don't mind the annual fee.
What gdc.. No I get it about flossing. I just rather 5k in my jeans.. Personal plat will increase w use very very quickly, your account manager can help w that as well.. You basically train the card, don't worry about the limit too much.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1030 posts
728 upvotes
Mississauga
ritzcrv wrote: guaranteed seat in ANY Centurion lounge. They are closed now, but should re-open.
and (according to Credit Shifu) - you get the expensive Champagne at the lounge if you have Centurion.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2020
11 posts
13 upvotes
We got first invitation 6 years ago but didn't go for it. Honesty as far as I can see when it comes to benefits, the ones I know we'd use, would be travel related and having a store to ourselves for an hour (certain stores agree to close to general public for private shopping). Travel lounges were accessible to us with the corporate card too though.
Jun 13, 2018
633 posts
470 upvotes
shylok wrote: Ask your account manager, express your interest, it can happen much before that, but they seem to hand out the one for personal spend ie luxury goods, travel etc, more frequently than corp.
For people with a Black card, the earn rate is not the consideration. It's all about the queue, or rather the lack of queue. I was in the Laurel Lounge(s) in Vegas & AC last year. Entrance is free with a Diamond card once you've earned 25k Tier score, less than that is 1000 reward credits ($10). Seven Star are always free. Why? Their tier scores are 100k min. I was in the line for the Paris LL when a guy in a scooter took offense to a guy & his wife strolling past the line, I told him to drop the attitude, the guy was 7Star. Everyone in these lounges can afford a $20-$30 drink & snack bar tab, it's a status thing.

An interesting thing to watch at the entrance is a Diamond match who can't get in, they have no reward credits & you can't pay cash. Or they only have 1500 credits & can't get the girlfriend in.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
DarMo087 wrote: I've replied but looks like it wasn't posted.

So it seems to me there are some benefits but the ones I can see us taking advantage of are having private shopping time at certain stores and some travel benefits, yet those you can still buy without the card. Like some of you said it's more of a symbol than something very beneficial. They actually sent us first invitation 6 years ago and we just didn't go for it.
I'd feel obligated to buy something but I guess if you're going there and closing it, it's with some certainty.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2020
11 posts
13 upvotes
Correct, it's store(s) you usually go to and know you will be making purchases. Then again we've done it before without any card as incentive, if you've been there before and they know you it can certainly be done.