Expired Hot Deals

[Amex Membership Points] Apple TV now 8500 points!

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2015 5:12 pm
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
Been trying to figure out what to do with my 10,000 points... this was a no-brainer.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4408 posts
668 upvotes
Is this a "sale" price? I'm waiting for my 25000 sign up points and I'd love to grab this.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
Kherani wrote: Is this a "sale" price? I'm waiting for my 25000 sign up points and I'd love to grab this.
It's a special offer so, yes, more than likely it is a "sale" price.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2051 posts
386 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
The Apple TV sells for $89 + tax, so at this rate your getting more for your points than using it on vacation stuff.

But rumours of new Apple TV keep me wary :/
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm sure they'll be selling the new box for more than $89 that's it's going for right now. I'm sure a few people will "burn" their points to just sell them, anyhow. :)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
21691 posts
158873 upvotes
GTA
Is there a jailbreak available for the Apple TV (3rd generation)? I know that it was being worked on for a long time without much in the way of results. In any case, for people who just want to redeem for merchandise, this is decent. That being said, as always, you get the most bang for your buck with travel. For example, if you take just 7200 points and convert them to Avios, because of the promo that is still on, you will net 9,000 Avios points, which is good enough for a roundtrip ticket to Chicago (or other short haul destination). Just playing with some sample dates in September, the Chicago flight would have otherwise cost $400 for example. Sure there are fees, but fees for US airlines are much lower than when you redeem Aeroplan points.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
8104 posts
1167 upvotes
TO
toguy wrote: Is there a jailbreak available for the Apple TV (3rd generation)? I know that it was being worked on for a long time without much in the way of results. In any case, for people who just want to redeem for merchandise, this is decent. That being said, as always, you get the most bang for your buck with travel. For example, if you take just 7200 points and convert them to Avios, because of the promo that is still on, you will net 9,000 Avios points, which is good enough for a round trip ticket to Chicago (or other short haul destination). Just playing with some sample dates in September, the Chicago flight would have otherwise cost $400 for example. Sure there are fees, but fees for US airlines are much lower than when you redeem Aeroplan points.
Wow I've never taken any interest in Avios or it's conversion patterns with AP. Seeing your usecase above, I'd want to rather do that but I wonder the availability of the YYZ-Chicago route though? Do you know any other cities you could use 9000 points from YYZ ?
Thanks
Member
Nov 22, 2009
225 posts
148 upvotes
You can can a refurb from Apple Store for 79$ I believe it is Gen3.
Newbie
Jul 9, 2011
40 posts
1 upvote
KITCHENER
TorontoEh wrote: Do you know any other cities you could use 9000 points from YYZ ?
Thanks
I redeemed a flight of YYZ-PHL on black friday, cost me 9k avios and $66 in tax two weeks ago
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 6, 2003
608 posts
206 upvotes
Ottawa
The word on the street is that Apple will be announcing a new Apple TV on September 9th:

http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-tv-2015/

I'm thinking they want to start clearing out the old model with the new one on its way. I saw the Apple TV at Costco the other day for $81.99 which surprised me as I thought it was going for closer to $100. It's $89.99 on the Costco web site with free shipping (no membership required to order online).

That being said, it's better to use your Amex points to get one!
Newbie
Aug 12, 2014
78 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
test8800 wrote: I redeemed a flight of YYZ-PHL on black friday, cost me 9k avios and $66 in tax two weeks ago
which airline did you use to book it? I have 20000 amex points and was wondering if convert to aeroplan or now as I see Avios....any recommendations?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
21691 posts
158873 upvotes
GTA
sunwin79 wrote: which airline did you use to book it? I have 20000 amex points and was wondering if convert to aeroplan or now as I see Avios....any recommendations?
With Avios, the two airlines that you will primarily see (especially for short-haul flights to the US) are American Airlines and United. I believe Aeroplan would be a 1:1 conversion, but not only would it cost you more in terms of points, the fees will most certainly be higher as well.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)