Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
thefusio15 wrote: [snip]

So after 5 years of spending on the card, I got close to 7k$ in "benefits" from the card, and I am pretty much certain I am missing some things in there. I don't have an exact spending amount over the entire period, but my best guess is 20-25k a year. I still think the AF was worth it throughout, there are definitely cases where I could have made more points chasing other cars, or even using a Cobalt the entire time, but it was worth it for us regardless. I am not sure it is worth my time to wait and see whatever change comes along. I averaged 1.7X on most of my spend, 1.25X fixed would be a downgrade for me, especially if the AF increases and it is compensated with a second travel credit (which I wont have a use for at least 2-3 years).
While I would agree that it was certainly worth it for you, your "close to $7k in benefits" is overstated because you are not factoring the opportunity cost (which is a very real cost that most people ignore). Since you have a Rogers WE card, you would have otherwise gotten 1.5% on your $20-25k/year of spend. So, the actual benefit you received from the Platinum card would be $1.5k-$1.9k lower than the "close to $7k" that you mention (then add in whatever other benefits you think that you missed).
Mar 14, 2018
870 posts
1103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
efrant wrote: While I would agree that it was certainly worth it for you, your "close to $7k in benefits" is overstated because you are not factoring the opportunity cost (which is a very real cost that most people ignore). Since you have a Rogers WE card, you would have otherwise gotten 1.5% on your $20-25k/year of spend. So, the actual benefit you received from the Platinum card would be $1.5k-$1.9k lower than the "close to $7k" that you mention (then add in whatever other benefits you think that you missed).
You are totally right (as always), cost opportunity is one heck of a factor to consider too. There is also P2’s Cobalt that gets in the mix and blurs things even more…

The number I gave there is (for the most part) the blended CPP I got from using the points, and doesn’t really consider beyond that. I am honestly not entirely impressed with how I used a large number of them, but some times were less ideal when I had to make decisions. I am also doubtful about where exactly my total spend is on that account since opened versus my other cards, including the others I did have in between (Business Plat, Aeroplan Reserve), but the 25k is definitely the upper limit in any given year, some years might be below 15k. Regardless, the point IS entirely valid and taken. That’s the issue whenever we look at numbers.

Anyway, cost opportunity, time opportunity, perceived value, type of spending… It all adds up and nuances everything.
The American Express Atlas (2023 Edition)
iPhone 15 Pro Max | Apple Watch Series 4 | MacBook Pro M1
AMEX Cobalt | Rogers MC
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
May/June 2023 enrolee. Only have a single $200 credit expiring on my anniversary date.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28625 upvotes
Vancouver
2009M5 wrote: Strange I got none of these credits people are speaking of…
Cardholder since January 2022, card says 2021 for some reason.
Did you have a different Amex card before 2022? I got plat in 2020, my card said "member since 99", which was when I got my first Amex card.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Very odd indeed, some DPs:

- Approved for my (first ever) Amex Plat on 07/17/2022

- Booked a Refundable Hotel and used my $200 Travel Credit on 05/15/2023

- Plans changed, and had to cancel/refund that hotel on 06/19/2023

- Haven't seen that $200 clawed back, and I expect my next annual fee to post on 08/15/2023

- At this time I intend to take the 30 days to decide whether or not to keep the card

Just logged into American Express Travel and noticed two available $200 Travel Credits:

So from what I can tell, the top one is my "current year available travel credit" based on the expiry date. But the bottom one has an expiry date of this week.
What's the worst that could happen, if I try to use the bottom one? I imagine if I used the top one, that could possibly harm my chances of getting the AF rebated?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
projector wrote: Very odd indeed, some DPs:

- Approved for my (first ever) Amex Plat on 07/17/2022

- Booked a Refundable Hotel and used my $200 Travel Credit on 05/15/2023

- Plans changed, and had to cancel/refund that hotel on 06/19/2023

- Haven't seen that $200 clawed back, and I expect my next annual fee to post on 08/15/2023

- At this time I intend to take the 30 days to decide whether or not to keep the card

Just logged into American Express Travel and noticed two available $200 Travel Credits:

So from what I can tell, the top one is my "current year available travel credit" based on the expiry date. But the bottom one has an expiry date of this week.
What's the worst that could happen, if I try to use the bottom one? I imagine if I used the top one, that could possibly harm my chances of getting the AF rebated?
The second credit expires next year, not this week.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Gtaphotog wrote: The second credit expires next year, not this week.
Correct. I'm just wondering if by using one or both of these credits, am I killing my chances of getting the AF rebated if I decide to cancel in 3 weeks~
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
projector wrote: Correct. I'm just wondering if by using one or both of these credits, am I killing my chances of getting the AF rebated if I decide to cancel in 3 weeks~
Don't think anyone will know until someone tries it, this new for everyone.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Fair point. I'm assuming that using "my next years" travel credit and then cancelling and asking for the AF to be rebated is probably not a smart decision?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
For those of you with two travel credits, can you apply both of them to the same booking?
Mar 14, 2018
870 posts
1103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
yesnomaybe wrote: For those of you with two travel credits, can you apply both of them to the same booking?
For what it's worth, I was able to do it in the past, but only over the phone. Online wouldn't (unless they changed something since the last time).
The American Express Atlas (2023 Edition)
iPhone 15 Pro Max | Apple Watch Series 4 | MacBook Pro M1
AMEX Cobalt | Rogers MC
Jul 28, 2011
82 posts
27 upvotes
How long does it take typically until the 200 credit is applied? I forgot how long, just curious cause I booked a room a couple of days ago
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28625 upvotes
Vancouver
mirooshidan wrote: How long does it take typically until the 200 credit is applied? I forgot how long, just curious cause I booked a room a couple of days ago
Less than a week, IME.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1637 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
The case of the mysterious $200 credits…
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
yesnomaybe wrote: For those of you with two travel credits, can you apply both of them to the same booking?
Not online. If you look at my screenshot above, you see they are radio buttons. Only one choice can be selected.
May 10, 2009
177 posts
184 upvotes
CALGARY
I saw this on another online discussion board, not sure how true/accurate this would be...Somebody called Amex, here is what s/he was told:
  • Annual fee increased by $100
    TWO additional $200 credits, one for dining and one for lifestyle(whatever that is)
    They are going to announce this by mid-August and existing member will get notice by the end of the month
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
g62kc wrote: I saw this on another online discussion board, not sure how true/accurate this would be...Somebody called Amex, here is what s/he was told:
    TWO additional $200 credits, one for dining and one for lifestyle(whatever that is)
    They are going to announce this by mid-August and existing member will get notice by the end of the month
Did it say if they are replacing the travel credit with the lifestyle and dining ? Or is it 3 x $200 credits (travel, lifestyle, and dining)?

Obviously its still all rumours until officially announced by Amex, but curious as to what was said.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
g62kc wrote: I saw this on another online discussion board, not sure how true/accurate this would be...Somebody called Amex, here is what s/he was told:
Which online discussion board?

That info doesn't line up with the fact many of us have gotten a second travel credit.
May 10, 2009
177 posts
184 upvotes
CALGARY
Gtaphotog wrote: Which online discussion board?

That info doesn't line up with the fact many of us have gotten a second travel credit.
That's why I said I am not sure how true that is...I think we will all find out later this month...
Is the second travel credit kind of like a lifestyle one? I mean lifestyle credit can show up when you book travel? Who knows...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6265 upvotes
No mentioning about earning structure? No 1.25x or other changes?

If there are 3x$200 credits but they only increase the AF by $100, that’s a big step towards the US Amex Platinum. $799 - $600 = net $199 AF? Wow, I will take it.

It seems too good to be true though haha.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)