Credit Cards

AMEX platinum - annual fee

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 8:12 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 12, 2013
59 posts
17 upvotes

AMEX platinum - annual fee

Hi all, just wondering if anyone gets any sort of discount on the annual fee($699) when renewing the membership this year? My renewal is due this month. I signed up for platinum was purely for its travel perks, now since the covid I didn’t and probably won’t travel for a while. Does anyone have experience with AMEX discounting the annual fee?
8 replies
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 12, 2013
59 posts
17 upvotes
Thank you! I just called to cancel. Such an unfortunate, it's a great card. Will reapply once Covid is gone.
Jr. Member
Nov 23, 2015
155 posts
139 upvotes
KLEINBURG, ON
I haven't heard of anybody in Canada getting a retention offer; just downgrade to gold. There were promises of good offers coming up in November and so far they have been travel based and useless. Hopefully after Monday when the Aeroplan card launches there are some decent offers. Amex Platinum has not offered anything of value in quite a while to help offset the annual fees with limited travel.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
11074 posts
13571 upvotes
Vancouver
mcmtech86 wrote: I haven't heard of anybody in Canada getting a retention offer; just downgrade to gold. There were promises of good offers coming up in November and so far they have been travel based and useless. Hopefully after Monday when the Aeroplan card launches there are some decent offers. Amex Platinum has not offered anything of value in quite a while to help offset the annual fees with limited travel.
There was a ton of stuff from April through end of June. $250 grocery credit, double redemption value and double points earnings on everything (12/8/4% on dining/travel/other). Amex obviously did that to stop the hemorrhage of people who could not longer travel calling in to cancel. But of course they couldn't keep that going forever.

Getting Amex to waive or reduce an annual fee is like being abducted by aliens. There are isolated reports of it happening but very little concrete proof it actually happens.
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2006
599 posts
157 upvotes
saturday2k wrote: Thank you! I just called to cancel. Such an unfortunate, it's a great card. Will reapply once Covid is gone.
Did they offer a reduction or any incentives to stay?
Member
Aug 20, 2019
233 posts
128 upvotes
mcmtech86 wrote: I haven't heard of anybody in Canada getting a retention offer; just downgrade to gold. There were promises of good offers coming up in November and so far they have been travel based and useless. Hopefully after Monday when the Aeroplan card launches there are some decent offers. Amex Platinum has not offered anything of value in quite a while to help offset the annual fees with limited travel.
All right! We are thinking the same thing. I’ll apply for Gold on November 13 and I’m holding because of this.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 12, 2013
59 posts
17 upvotes
e909 wrote: Did they offer a reduction or any incentives to stay?
The retention lady was very nice and trying to explain the monthly offers/promos are there to help offset the annual fee. But there was no fee reduction or incentive. I have been with AMEX (not platinum) for over 17 years.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4643 posts
2908 upvotes
LaLaLand
saturday2k wrote: The retention lady was very nice and trying to explain the monthly offers/promos are there to help offset the annual fee. But there was no fee reduction or incentive. I have been with AMEX (not platinum) for over 17 years.
This ain't murica. The retention ladies are much nicer there. Winking Face

Top