• Jan 18th, 2019 10:31 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
15 posts
Toronto

AMEX Platinum Program Revamp in Canada?

Just read about the revamp of the Amex Platinum program that happen in the US to compete with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Anyone hear of any changes coming to Canada for the Platinum card?

They're now offering a stainless steel Amex Platinum card with different benefits.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/unboxi ... etal-card/
33 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1147 posts
2011 upvotes
FLYB777 wrote: Just read about the revamp of the Amex Platinum program that happen in the US to compete with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Anyone hear of any changes coming to Canada for the Platinum card?

They're now offering a stainless steel Amex Platinum card with different benefits.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/unboxi ... etal-card/
When I called Amex customer service and asked last month they told me that they are watching the metal card launch in the U.S. and may adopt it in Canada after a period of time "we test products in the U.S. first".
More likely they can't make the metal cards fast enough for domestic U.S. demand, and are concerning themselves with that first.

Don't forget, the reason they went to the expense of doing this in the U.S. market is because Chase tried to poach the Amex Platinum Card customer base with their Sapphire Reserve card which is metal. They also tried to go after the titanium Amex Centurion Card crowd with their metal J.P. Morgan Reserve Card (formerly the Palladium Card).

Since no banks in Canada are launching a metal card, and the only metal card in Canada is Amex's own Centurion Card, Amex is under no competitive pressure in Canada to defend their premium card turf by going to metal Platinum Cards. I do hope that they issue the metal Platinum Card in Canada eventually - I just don't think it is a time-sensitive priority for Amex Canada right now.
Nov 1, 2010
397 posts
56 upvotes
Apart from the actual card being in metal (looks sharp!), are there any changes to the benefits?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1147 posts
2011 upvotes
123nicolas wrote: Apart from the actual card being in metal (looks sharp!), are there any changes to the benefits?

Thanks!
The Platinum Card revamp is in the U.S. market. I haven't seen any changes to the Canadian Amex Platinum Card program recently.

Platinum Card came out in 1984 in only the U.S. and Canadian markets.

Today Platinum Card is issued in many countries, but tailored to those specific countries in terms of benefits. For instance in Canada we get the $200 annual travel credit, whereas in the U.S. now they get an uber credit of $15 per month, and an airline incidental fees credit for up to $200 for baggage fees, meals, etc on one specific airline of your choice, and they get no foreign transaction fees on foreign purchases, and 5x points on airline tickets, and 5x points on hotels booked through Amex travel. They get free Boingo WiFi hotspot use, and free roadside assistance. They get no fee Gold Card supplemental cards on one's account for family and friends.

In Canada we do not get free roadside assistance or monthly Uber credits or free Gold Cards. It is debatable whether the $200 travel credit we get is more useful than the airline incidentals credit Americans get or not. We don't get the no FX fee perk here. The biggest perk we get that the U.S. doesn't get is the travel medical insurance. We get 15 days up to 5 million coverage. U.S. cardholders don't get any travel medical.

Canadians get 1.25 points per dollar flat rate. Americans get 1 point per dollar flat rate, and 5 points per dollar for airline tickets and hotels (if booked through Amex travel or directly with the airline). So our flat rate is slightly higher, but as part of the revamp in the U.S. they now get 5 points per dollar for air and hotel charges.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10467 posts
788 upvotes
Toronto
HermanH wrote: When I called Amex customer service and asked last month they told me that they are watching the metal card launch in the U.S. and may adopt it in Canada after a period of time "we test products in the U.S. first".
More likely they can't make the metal cards fast enough for domestic U.S. demand, and are concerning themselves with that first.

Don't forget, the reason they went to the expense of doing this in the U.S. market is because Chase tried to poach the Amex Platinum Card customer base with their Sapphire Reserve card which is metal. They also tried to go after the titanium Amex Centurion Card crowd with their metal J.P. Morgan Reserve Card (formerly the Palladium Card).

Since no banks in Canada are launching a metal card, and the only metal card in Canada is Amex's own Centurion Card, Amex is under no competitive pressure in Canada to defend their premium card turf by going to metal Platinum Cards. I do hope that they issue the metal Platinum Card in Canada eventually - I just don't think it is a time-sensitive priority for Amex Canada right now.
The main selling point of the Chase Sapphire Reserve is not that it's metal. The Chase Sapphire Preferred was already metal before the Reserve came along. The Reserve was basically an upgraded version of the highly rated Preferred card and blew its competitors out of the water.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1475 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
I've been asked by survey (received an email) to evaluate the Platinum card (was about 2/3 weeks ago), so I'm pretty sure something is coming soon...
They had questions regarding the annual fee, the benefits, the insurance, the look of the card, the prestige of it when shown and used at a store, ...

American Express needs your feedback

At American Express we are continually looking for ways to improve and your input helps. We would like to hear your thoughts on your experience with American Express and how it compares with other Cards you use.

To thank our customers for participating in this survey, a payment of $15,000 U.S. dollars will be made to the International Committee of the Red Cross.
International Committee of the Red Cross Logo This survey should take approximately 5 minutes to complete. Please note that this survey will be closed once we have received a sufficient number of responses for analysis.

We have commissioned NAXION, an independent market research company, to conduct the survey with a select group of our Card Members and process the survey data.

To access the survey, click on the link below:

Begin Survey

Thank you in advance for your participation. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
American Express
May 19, 2017
474 posts
286 upvotes
The only major change so far for the AMEX Platinum in Canada is the referral link for the Personal Gold is broken. There is a workaround though :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9065 posts
3657 upvotes
Toronto
My son in the US got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, got lots of Marriott points, and Priority Pass lounge access. It was nice.

He recently got the Amex Platinum, which also gave him gold status in several major hotel chains. All very nice.

Hope there'll be something similar to the Chase Sapphire Reserve offered in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1664 posts
857 upvotes
Kanada
Wish list: customizable bonus categories à la Tangerine
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19763 posts
2510 upvotes
Wish list: Drop the stupid $200 travel credit and reduce annual fee accordingly.

If they don't drop this credit before end of this year, I am dropping this card. Tired of trying to figure out new and novel ways to use this credit every year.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10467 posts
788 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote: Wish list: Drop the stupid $200 travel credit and reduce annual fee accordingly.

If they don't drop this credit before end of this year, I am dropping this card. Tired of trying to figure out new and novel ways to use this credit every year.
I just book a refundable hotel and then cancel the booking a week later. The charges are reversed but $200 credit stays.
Aug 10, 2017
3 posts
Royal Bank is launching a Black Metal Private Banking VISA in the fall of this year.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
Aznsilvrboy wrote: I just book a refundable hotel and then cancel the booking a week later. The charges are reversed but $200 credit stays.
Which hotel did you book for this? I don't know of a single hotel that charges you ahead of time for a refundable fare.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5386 posts
6669 upvotes
Montreal
superangrypenguin wrote:
Which hotel did you book for this? I don't know of a single hotel that charges you ahead of time for a refundable fare.
To use the Amex travel credit, you must book your travel through Amex Travel (not directly with a hotel chain or airline, etc.) and you pay upfront for your room. Regular cancellation policies apply, i.e., if you book a Marriott, you can cancel up to 48 hours before your stay.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9065 posts
3657 upvotes
Toronto
tiger2001 wrote: Royal Bank is launching a Black Metal Private Banking VISA in the fall of this year.
Any update on that?

TD had also talked about providing some special card for their PB customers.
Aug 10, 2017
3 posts
Hi Arrgh,

Yes it is now officially in market. Black, Metal Card.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
efrant wrote: To use the Amex travel credit, you must book your travel through Amex Travel (not directly with a hotel chain or airline, etc.) and you pay upfront for your room. Regular cancellation policies apply, i.e., if you book a Marriott, you can cancel up to 48 hours before your stay.
Thanks. So what you are saying is that when I book a hotel room through PTS, I always pay upfront?
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5386 posts
6669 upvotes
Montreal
superangrypenguin wrote: Thanks. So what you are saying is that when I book a hotel room through PTS, I always pay upfront?
Yes.
Dec 27, 2017
274 posts
152 upvotes
Ontario
Arrgh wrote: Any update on that?

TD had also talked about providing some special card for their PB customers.
HSBC has launched a metal card in Canada now too: HSBC Jade World Elite Mastercard. Minimum $1M relationship with HSBC required, which includes both banking and investments. It is time for Amex Canada to up its game again.
Jul 3, 2017
275 posts
188 upvotes
Optimizer88 wrote: HSBC has launched a metal card in Canada now too: HSBC Jade World Elite Mastercard. Minimum $1M relationship with HSBC required, which includes both banking and investments. It is time for Amex Canada to up its game again.
BUMP!

I'd love to upgrade my Cobalt to this, could be viable to have the anual fee pay for itself with the $200 anual Uber credit the U.S. version includes. Also there are reports that the $200 travel credit non usable for airfare can be used in airfare with giftcards:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/amex-fee ... gift-card/

Anybody got any new insider info as to when will the U.S. benefits will be rolled over to Canada?

P.S.: The metal card would be bad ass to carry with you...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)