• Jan 18th, 2019 10:31 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21265 posts
4372 upvotes
YUL
Any word if the metal Amex Plat is available in Canada yet?
Mar 31, 2013
148 posts
52 upvotes
I just picked up the Amex Rose Gold card from the US....sweet looking card..pretty decent perks as well.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21265 posts
4372 upvotes
YUL
mmbilly wrote: I just picked up the Amex Rose Gold card from the US....sweet looking card..pretty decent perks as well.
So you live in the US, or how’d you get it?
Mar 31, 2013
148 posts
52 upvotes
najibs wrote: So you live in the US, or how’d you get it?
My wife is American. Got it through her with me as the secondary card. Live in Canada and US
Feb 10, 2018
125 posts
141 upvotes
najibs wrote: Any word if the metal Amex Plat is available in Canada yet?
Not yet. It was just launched in India very recently. I read somewhere Amex is basing this off of number of cardholders. On that front, I don't think there are that many Plat cardholders in Canada, so you may be waiting awhile!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5486 posts
3886 upvotes
LaLaLand
najibs wrote: So you live in the US, or how’d you get it?
https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
YYJTravel wrote: Not yet. It was just launched in India very recently. I read somewhere Amex is basing this off of number of cardholders. On that front, I don't think there are that many Plat cardholders in Canada, so you may be waiting awhile!
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

I'd take the US Pt over the Cdn Pt though.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1114 posts
1301 upvotes
Kitchener
This. It's actually quite easy to do.

My platinum card is quite metal. And has much cooler features like 5x on airfare when booked direct with airlines.

There is however a top secret plastic US dollar plastic version that american's can't get... But canadians can. That's in some ways better then even the metal version...
One never advertized that no one talks about, but i'll be pal and let you guys in on it:

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/car ... -card.html

While it doesn't have the spend multipliers, it does have a bunch more status upgrades.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5630 posts
6936 upvotes
Montreal
Eleventeen wrote: This. It's actually quite easy to do.

My platinum card is quite metal. And has much cooler features like 5x on airfare when booked direct with airlines.

There is however a top secret plastic US dollar plastic version that american's can't get... But canadians can. That's in some ways better then even the metal version...
One never advertized that no one talks about, but i'll be pal and let you guys in on it:

While it doesn't have the spend multipliers, it does have a bunch more status upgrades.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, that reads like the card is almost identical to the Canadian version but in USD, with a lower sign-up bonus, and with no travel credit. The only hotel status that it has over the Canadian version is for Melia hotels. If that's correct, there's no way I would consider that card.
Dec 20, 2017
804 posts
962 upvotes
efrant wrote: Unless I'm reading it wrong, that reads like the card is almost identical to the Canadian version but in USD, with a lower sign-up bonus, and with no travel credit. The only hotel status that it has over the Canadian version is for Melia hotels. If that's correct, there's no way I would consider that card.
The ICC Amex has a UK based team, so I think it's meant for those travelling to USA quite frequently and need to spend in USD / have USD income. Same goes for the Euro card for outside of UK spend.
💳 Collected: RBC VIP for Private Banking, TD VIP, BMO VIP, HSBC Premier WE MC, Amex PP, Amex BP, Amex BG, Amex Cobalt, BMO WE MC, CDC Indigo
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1952 posts
1559 upvotes
510 represen'
Eleventeen wrote: This. It's actually quite easy to do.

Well if you actually tried to apply for either the Euro or Dollar card, you'll notice there's a minimum income requirement of $65K USD or €65K Euro.

And what if I told you the Americans have an even more killer version call the Ameriprise Platinum (or The Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise Financial if you want to be stickler), that doesn't have any welcome bonus, BUT gives you ALL the perks of the US Platinum without the $550 AF for the first year? You can do cool stuff such as triple dipping that $200 airline credit. I think this is by far the absolute best Platinum card of the bunch, and that waived $550 AF is worth at least 55K MR, so consider that the "welcome bonus" if you wish lol.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14752 posts
19643 upvotes
Vancouver
efrant wrote: Unless I'm reading it wrong, that reads like the card is almost identical to the Canadian version but in USD, with a lower sign-up bonus, and with no travel credit. The only hotel status that it has over the Canadian version is for Melia hotels. If that's correct, there's no way I would consider that card.
There's also a no-annual-fee version with no card benefits. Select USD or EUR.

Is there any other way Canadians can get a EUR card for no fee?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5630 posts
6936 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: There's also a no-annual-fee version with no card benefits. Select USD or EUR.

Is there any other way Canadians can get a EUR card for no fee?
I suppose there would be some limited demand for a no rewards euro credit card, though I would suspect for the vast majority of Canadian travelers, they'd prefer one of the no-f/x fee cards, in order to get at least some rewards for your spending.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5486 posts
3886 upvotes
LaLaLand
JimPaoloJ20612 wrote: I would apply for the AMEX ICC just to get the classic green card
I have the US version of the green card. The fee is pointless at $100. 1x MR per dollar spent. First year is free though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)